All reviews restaurant downstairs the hotel's restaurant quaint hotel mexican charm street noise hot water rooftop bar restaurants and shops beach towels fifth avenue ferry to cozumel minute walk to the beach the entire staff my favorite king bed carboncitos balcony
Reviewed 29 January 2016 via mobile

The reason we stayed at this hotel was because it got a very good rating on Trip Advisor.
We upgraded to a balcony which I thought was not worth the upgrade. Sitting on the balcony you could not see anything because of high balcony wall. Standing you could see the water at the end of 4th street and the people walking on 5th avenue. There was a second balcony which had a limited view. One of the chairs on balcony needed fixing.
The doors to the balcony would not open properly. Plus the door to the room and balcony had cracks in which the light came through. The bathroom was very small, when sitting on the toilet you could almost touch the wall. No mirror in bathroom it was outside the bathroom. Mirror was hung very low and for a woman the lighting was terrible to put your makeup on. Curtains were not wide enough so light came in plus people could see you changing. Air conditioning was working good but ceiling fan was broken.
The room we had was close to restaurant and could hear silver wear being put away. Room 11.
Location was good. We had only booked for one night planning on staying for a few more nights but we checked out to another hotel.
The hotel was very clean and it did have a king sized bed. We did have instant hot water for taking a shower.
The free breakfast was one cup of coffee, orange juice and toast.
Would not stay here again.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brb1948
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2016

Hi Brb 1948, my name is Steven I am one of the owners here at Hotel Cielo and I just wanted to contact you for we are concerned about your stay.

Although your review is not one we like we do try and learn from it for it only helps us get better.

I would like to take this opportunity to address your comments and possibly get a little more feedback from you.

The Continental breakfast is only offered through OTAs (expedia, booking.com, etc.) Had you booked direct, we offer 50% off a great breakfast, unfortunately there are large commissions involved and we can not afford to absorb the cost so we try to educate consumers to book direct, especially with smaller hotels such as Cielo.

Maintenance is quite a task for an older building and if things are in need of repair, we always act on it to assure our guests comfort, perhaps it is something we had overlooked, this is always a possibility, but had you brought any of these situations( the chair, door and fan) to our attention these are things we could have fixed them immediately or we would have gladly changed your room.

As for the view, and the bathroom not being big enough, again, we could have relocated you to another room so you could have been more comfortable to enjoy your stay, we have many rooms with larger bathrooms.

This is why we are here to assure all our guests one thing .... an enjoyable stay, and we would have gladly done this had you asked.

Do we make mistakes...... of course we do, but what sets us apart is we do our very best to correct them.

Again, we are truly sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Brb 1948, I am always open to dialoque, and I do hope to hear from you for your feedback is important to us.

Sincerley, Steven Krisztin

Reviewed 25 January 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights and absolutely loved it.
Alejandra and her staff were great. The rooms are small but very comfortable. The location is perfect and the restaurant next to it is great as well. If you want a nice, clean place to stay Hotel Cielo is for you.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2016

First of All I Would Love to Thank Alejandra and Steve Once again . as I was here 3 years ago before I traveled back to British Columbia Canada and the Beautiful Changes in their Hotel are so Welcoming....I was so amazed at the wonderful Job Steve did to the rooms and to the Rooftop Palapa that is just so awesome to hang out and watch the sunrise and sunsets from and to meet other guests for a Cool Drink and chat.
The Menu was once again to My Liking and the Drinks were nothing but spectacular along with the Service which was Always kind and Happy...
I Will continue to advise others that are coming to Playa del Carmen to Stay at Hotel Cielo and I am sure they as I will leave with nothing but Great Memories . also being Cental to All the Shops and Beach is Just So perfect...I will be back for My 3rd stay soon again. Thank You Hotel Cielo....

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank darellbear
Reviewed 1 January 2016

Hello Steve and Alejandra!

We would like to leave some notes of our experiences to your further guests.

STAFF
The hotell staff and restaurant staff were really helpful, friendly and funny and of course the owners as well. We could ask anything and they were really helpful and gave us great advice were to go and visit, how to get there for the best price and on the right time of the day. As we rented a car we were able to make most of our trip. Not only did we visit the Maya ruins but also some Cenotes and a fantastic show by Cirque du soleil at Christmas (there is a fantastic bar there with live music). Thanks to the owners our trip were more than expected.

HOTEL
We found the beds at Cielo really comfortable to sleep on because of its stability and the temperature in the bed is great when you sleep. The beds are not too soft and not to hard.

The room had air condition, windows and a toilet with a big shower. The air condition is not loud, that's is a relief. The sink was outside the toilette. The environment and the light were comfortable for the eyes. I was first worried before we booked the hotel because I like modern hotels but when we arrived the hotel was better than what we expected. The walls and the windows aren't so thick so you will hear people passing by your room. Hot and cold water works fine. You will have to wait a minut or two before the hot water turns hot.

THE RESTAURANT
The breakfast included one cup of coffee (great coffee), one glas of orange juice and toast, butter and jam. It is not a breakfast for those who are hungry but you can still order from their breakfast menu and you will get a good price. We ordered an omelette every morning and it was enough for us.

Around in the hotel you can find water station on every floor and security cameras outside the rooms. There are two flats and on the top you have the view of the ocean and a future restaurant/bar. It wasn't done when we were there. Steve (one of the owners) has a background in constructions, so the building looks like it has been done properly, unlike a lot of other buildings in the near area.

LOCATION
Location was perfect. The hotel is located between 5th ave (the shopping street) and 10th ave. One block away from the beach. What you wont be expecting are the musician coming the the restaurant and sing loudly around the time of dinner. But during club hours, is it quiet. We don't think there were any club next door to the hotel but you can walk 5 min on 5th ave and you will end up among bars, clubs and shopping malls. And it is easy to grab a taxi from the hotel as well. Make up the price before you get into a taxi.

Steve and Alejandro are lovely and you will have to work hard to find a better host, we can ensure you. Alejandro took care of us when we arrived with a warmth big smile and even help us to get me to her doctor when I had allergic reactor from the mosquito bites. We also met their friends and had lovely chats over a drink after dinner time.

TO STEVE AND ALEJANDRO
We are sorry that we didn't get the chance to say good bye before we flew home. You had already gone home when we came looking for you.

Thank you very much for making our vacation splendid and Happy New Year! Hope your customer will appreciate your hospitality as we did.

Bestes regards,
Mandy and Chris

(Hope we spelled you names correct :D )

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank akilya
Reviewed 27 December 2015

Well located and the crew is amazing but the hotel have not elevators, or refrigerator at the hotel. Not even water. Also we had problems with mud in the rooms and the smell were impossible to handle.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Eduardo284
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2015

Hi Eduardo, I just wanted to thank you personally for taking the time to write your review.

Obviously, this is definitely not the kind of review we are shooting for but sometimes we try and see how we can learn from these kind of reviews.

As you can clearly see, we do not get many average or below average reviews so we are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would like to take a moment to address your comments for I feel its important to have dialogue and all the correct info.

Yes we did have a water emergency where a pipe burst during the day, but we had it repaired within 2 hours, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

As for the refrigerator and the elevator you are correct, we do not have either, but we only have 3 levels and refrigerators do not last here due to the high salt content in the air, they then start to consume more energy so we chose to remove.

Actually I am a little surprised about your review for you had stayed with us for 7 days and you had not mentioned any problems to our staff or myself when we had met in the hallway briefly.

If there were mud and a smell we wish you would have brought it to our attention, but if we do not know we can not correct it and these problems could have been easily corrected.

In addition had you given us the chance to correct the situation, your stay may have been more enjoyable and we would not have received this review......we are here to help, we are here to assure your stay is comfortable and we always go out of our way to reach this goal.

Do we make mistakes ...of course we do, but we always do our best to correct them , we truly care about our guests comfort and is why I have contacted you directly as well as responding here .

Again, our apologies that you did not enjoy yourself, this is not our goal and I am always open for dialogue and I do hope to hear from you.

Eduardo, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo

Sincerely, Steven Krisztin