“Beautiful, small hotel on gorgeous swimming beach”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #7 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 11 April 2011

PL is a small quiet hotel right on the beach. Plenty of lounge chairs on the beautiful beach with excellent swimming. Our beachfront room was only a few steps from the beach, no room is more than maybe 100 yards from the beach. It was not luxurious but spacious and fine with a small refrigerator and good shower. They also have a nice pool. The food (breakfast and dinner included) was good but not great. It was prepared fresh, no chafing dishes reheating food like at big resorts. The dining room is an open air pavilion. Lunch was available at tables overlooking the beach. Our room was near the small bar by the beach which was empty by 10:00 so no problem with noise at night. Service throughout the hotel is excellent and personal. Its a 10 minute drive to the town, a place that is swarming with shops and tourists. We rented a car in Cancun and drove to the hotel, an easy 45 minute drive. There was not much to do at the hotel other than it being an excellent place to relax and walk along the miles of beach There are places down the beach which offer the usual beach diversions.We used the car to drive into Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morelos, and for excursions to Chichen Itza (a 3 hour drive), and the ferries to Isla Mujeres and Cozumel, so on alternate days we relaxed at the hotel or did some excursion. There were several families there with small children who played very nicely without disturbing the adult guests. All in all the hotel is an excellent choice.

Reviewed 1 April 2011

I went for my 10th anniversary with my wife and chose the hotel basen on the reviews on Tripadvisor. In conclusion, the reviews are waht you get. The hotel is small, very clean, the service is really great and the room, even though not great, are fine. We stayed on a beach front bungalow. The room location was absolutely great, jsut in front of the beach. The room was clean and nice. A couple of drawbacks of the room: a little lack of privacy with the curtains open (the room is too near the beach), the room is very very dark ( i suggest them to put some white colour either on the walls or in the bed, it would definetely improve the room). Overall: we had a great time and partially because of the hotel. We recommend it.

Room Tip: Oceanfront Bungalow, get number 9 not number 1.
Reviewed 31 March 2011

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week long stay at Petit Lafitte. We stayed in an ocean view room and woke up to an amazing view of the beach. The staff is incredibly helpful and dedicated to great service. There were several families and couples staying at the hotel. The food is good -- though I would prefer more traditional Mexican dishes on the lunch and dinner menu. The beach is quiet and very clean. There is a popular swimming spot only 100 yds away. I cannot wait to return!

Reviewed 30 March 2011

Petit Lafitte, the successor to Posada del Capitan Lafitte, retains the laid back simplicity of it's predecessor. Even though the area's changed radically since my wife and I first visited there 22 years ago (Playa del Carmen was a tiny village, now it's a city of 50,000 plus), the beach is still magnificent and the owners have managed to insulate guests from the hubbub of the large hotels in the area. Dressing for dinner means putting on a shirt, and everyone is friendly. Staff is fantastic, and, as a testament to the owners, many staffers have been around for years (David the manager was the bartender in the 90's). The newly built rooms are great, and everything is clean and elegant, without being stuffy or pretentious at all. Foodnis good and plentiful Love it, just the way we did years ago.

Room Tip: Unless you need a tv, get one off the bungalows
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael643
Reviewed 30 March 2011

My wife and I experienced Mexico Playa Del Carmen for the very first time. After browsing Trip Advisor we stumble on the Petit Lafitte. The great reviews and the quietness was what we were looking for…

I can tell you that you will not be disappointed. We stayed in a ocean view bungalow. It was nice, clean and cozy. Loved the fact that there were no televisions. Reading and relaxation is what you get. It’s quiet and small enough that you are overwhelmed by too many patrons. There are ample chairs at the beach and enough distances between Le Petit Lafitte and those monstrous resorts.

The staff is superb, I give them A+… David, Javier, Geovanni, Jesus and the other 2 I cannot remember their names will bend backward to insure your every request I met. They made me a special dinner meal on my last night because I don’t eat seafood’s.

I will definitely return there and hope to see the same staff. David speaks 7 or 8 different language. English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Mayan. I can go on and on. The night meals were very diverse and never repeated themselves in the 6 days we were there.