All reviews casa banana la zebra ocean breeze banana bread every morning beach beds hanging beds beach service eco lodge salt water showers tulum beach fresh fruit sea turtles outdoor shower beachfront bungalow our honeymoon mosquito net
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My wife and I traveled back to Tulum for the 3rd time in 18 months. This was by far the best experience we have ever had. First of all, traveling to Tulum takes a particular type of traveler. One who doesn't mind swim up bars, AC, TV, and tons of tourist. Tulum is an experience and is to be appreciated and respected for what it is. I have met some great people from all around the world from the places we have stayed, facebook, and tripadvisor.com. Pack light and be ready to have a once in a lifetime experience.

Now let's talk about Nueva Vida de Ramiro also known as NVR. NVR is located in a more quiet location on the main beach road to Tulum but is still walking distance to everything you need. The best way to experience what is around you is to walk the beach. You won't see much from the road because of the "jungle feel" which is absolutely what you want in Tulum. Obviously when you stay at NVR, you are curious on the property and will explore as much as you can and there isn't a bad spot on the property. While we were there, I met some great people saw their cabanas. Some on the high end side and some on the affordable side. We stayed 5 nights in Viento del Mar and loved it. I have a video posted on my facebook page and I welcome travelers to friend me to see not only pictures and videos from NVR/Tulum but welcome you to see small places from all over the Caribbean including Exumas, Negril Jamaica, St. Maarten, Anguilla, Barbados, Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Montego Bay, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and of course the United States. Back to the room: It's located in the middle of the property and does require you to walk up some steps but the view is great with and ocean breeze on the deck and into the room. The room is much bigger than we expected and loved it. The only recommendation on the entire trip would be upgrading the mattress in our the room. My wife and I sleep pretty easy but that bed was a little hard and never had a greats night sleep. The 2nd night we took the cushions off the lounge chairs outside and put them under our sheets and it did make a difference. As you noticed, it was not a complain but only a recommendation which I feel most places would want. We went in the heart of summer and yes it was hot but that was expected. The fan was VERY nice to have right on us at night and during the day. I would totally recommend this room for anyone on a budget as you will not be disappointed.

The staff: As you have already know, the staff is beyond welcoming. This was the best part of the trip. You won't find a single sole on the property who doesn't welcome you with open arms. I was traveling during my 37th birthday and they were so kind to me and treated my wife and I with free breakfast off the menu. That alone made me want to come back. We enjoyed stories on their personal travels the history of NVR.

Casa Banana is located on the property right across the lobby. My favorite part of the trip was when the local musicians came and played through dinner, the night of my birthday. We had the wonderful steak, drinks, etc and WOW! Beyond delicious!!! I can go on and on about NVR but you will see that most of the reviews here on tripadvisor all say the same thing. We love it!! I have reservations to return in May and look forward to our 4th return. As I mentioned, you are welcome to friend me on Facebook (Jeremy Gearries) and check out the photos and videos of NVR and our other travels. As far as me personally on FB, i'm a little entertaining. Thank you Nueva Vida de Ramiro and we look forward to staying at our new cabana on the beach, Alma del Mar

Other advice. Mateos down the road is great for eating, Zamas, and later drinks and music at the Sandbar. Also, if you plan on keeping things cool, bring a small collapsable cooler and get ice when you can. Ice is not easy to find so make your trips into town when you can or visit the markets down the street (if they have it stock). Have a great trip and don't forget your flashlight.

Room tip: Take your time and pick a room that fits your budget. They have a map of the property and great pictures of each cabana.
Date of stay: July 2011
7  Thank djsdirect
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My husband and I stayed in Estrella del Amanecer in late December and found a place that I would recommend to most anyone and would be happy to return to over and over. Tulum is the perfect place for the low-key, low-maintenance traveler that is looking for charm, seclusion and serenity. Nueva Vida has all those characteristics and more. As mentioned in so many of their reviews, the staff is genuinely kind and helpful, the other guests we encountered were friendly and calm, the restaurant is more charming than any big city spot I've been to, and the location is perfect.
We had hoped to stay in a cabana but they were booked however the room we did select, which is above Casa Mexicana, was a more than acceptable alternative. It was quiet, we had a stellar view of the ocean and had an amazing breeze that flowed right through our private balcony, through the double doors right to our bed. The decor in the room was perfectly simple, we had plenty of light, water pressure was no problem, and the fan installed in the room was a sleeptime savior (I must admit the thought of being under a bug net with no air during hotter seasons would make me uncomfortable but I like cool temperatures when I sleep). We loved the provided continental breakfast! Another great amenity to take advantage of is on-site bike rentals--we had bikes for two days and really enjoyed being able to head into town, pick up snacks, and check out other restaurants on the beach without renting a car or taking cabs.
The beach is amazing of course and the mattresses and chairs provided by Nueva Vida are super comfortable.
My single complaint about the entire experience was that nowhere at Nueva Vida was there an easy place to fill up water bottles. We were able to get free water refills at Casa Banana but that required that they were open and not busy. Having said this, in no way does it change my overall opinion. I would still go back in a heartbeat.

9  Thank carly b
Reviewed 23 December 2011

The location of this property is the best part about Nueva Vida de Ramiro. Truly excellent beach front location within walking distance to other properties and restaurants in this charming community. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant across the street, Casa Banana, (which provided an included continental breakfast each morning) was very good. We ate dinner at this restaurant one evening and had excellent food and service.
We stayed in Casa Mexicana on the property which was a two bedroom, two bath home with kitchen and living room. We thought we would cook meals on our own while there....but found too many great places to eat out so we really did not use the kitchen facilities. The only down side was the comfort of the beds, otherwise the property interior was as expected.
We travelled with our teenage daughters and they also had a great time. We appreciated the fact that the hotel had free wifi so they could stay connected.
Overall a lovely place to stay and vacation!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Traveller21365
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed in Alma Del Mar for 4 nights, and it was an outstanding and relaxing time. The atomosphere was laid back and the service was excellent and it felt very private. My wife and I enjoy the minimalist/green lifestyle promoted at the hotel. The beach and beach beds were outstanding, it was very peaceful, we will be back again!

Room tip: Alma Del Mar is a fantastic bungalow overlooking the ocean, you will not be let down with this room
2  Thank Dan H
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Very secluded spot, saw very few people. Nice and quiet. We appreciate that as we get older!
Stayed in Corazon section and had wonderful view of water and palm trees. My husband did not care for the saltwater showers. I thought it was okay. I am glad they installed an outlet. I brought my own coffee maker and made coffee in the morning for friends and us. Then we walked a bit late to Casa Banana for continental Breakfast.
The Hotel provided a beautiful bottle of wine and sausage and bread plate for our friends for their anniversary. At check out they gave my husband hand carved turtles.
I would love to go again, but in off season as the prices are a bit high to me during peak season.
The light outside the room blinked non-stop and we told someone at the hotel but it did not get fixed. It was a bit irritating.
Twice during the night we thought someone was tapping on the glass of the door. We both awoke saying"Yes? Yes? a bit frightened and then realized the 2nd night was a gecko!

2  Thank blooney