Open today: 7:30 AM - 10:00 PM

from US$139.85
More Info
from US$176.75
More Info
All reviews different species bird watching yucatan peninsula miguel birds habitat riding muyil guiding maya mexico photos guide
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Top-notch day of birding with a true expert. Miguel Amar Uribe (Amar Aves) has incredible fine-tuned skills of sight and hearing coupled with patience and extensive knowledge of the local birds and fauna. He's a skillful guide helping me to find the birds along the way he spotted (and I spotted one or two for him, a real point of pride!) I do most of my birding without guides but in places like the Yucatan a guide is necessary unless you're an expert on tropical birds. I'm not and Miguel is. Friendly and enjoyable companion for a memorable day of 52 species and 25 lifers.

Date of experience: May 2021
Reviewed 21 April 2021

After a very early pick up (which included a snake on the road) we had an excellent morning birding with Miguel. His knowledge is extensive, and his sense of humour and generosity, as well as his enquiring mind made it a memorable morning. The meal he provided was also excellent. I should love to return to Mexico and go birding again with Miguel.

Date of experience: May 2020
Reviewed 4 April 2021

2nd fantastic private guided birding tour with Miguel Amar Uribe (Amar Aves), this time with the services of local guide Claudio Lopez for specialized eyes and ears. Due to the exceptional experience the first time, I requested an extended birding tour to Campeche and the Calakmul Temple archaeological site. Miguel delivered. My guides were “on” at all times; they had pre-scouted secret hotspots, unvisited by other birders.Their eyes and ears were on duty at all times; they were personally enjoying the discovery of each bird and I just tried to keep up! As I learned the birds and the ancient local history, I felt this was a very special walking tutorial! Accommodations for three nights were immaculately clean and new EcoLodges; authentic Mexican meals were cooked in front of us by a personal chef. Montezuma Oropendola put on a show; Collared Forest Falcon, Ornate Hawk-Eagle, Ocellated Turkey, Great Curassow, White-necked Puffbird, Chestnut-colored Woodpecker, Red-capped Manakin, Black-crowned Tityra were added to my Life List of 50+ for the trip. Let me not forget the elusive Stub-tailed Spadebill, which I spotted and my guides identified! The adventure was topped off, after the target birds were recorded, on the beautiful blue-green waters of Lago Bacalar on a sunset cruise. This cenote-fed lake, Miguel taught me, is home to the stromatolites, biologic limestone formations which are the oldest life on our Planet Earth.
Amar Aves will provide a great birding tour to casual birders or for the most discriminating globetrotting ornithologists. Miguel Amar Uribe is a naturalist-philosopher committed to the preservation of his natural Yucatán homeland. He will teach you a lot, so bring prepare your eyes, your brain, your tastebuds, and all your senses!

Date of experience: March 2021
1  Thank sherryj986
Reviewed 31 March 2021

I would give this 10 stars if I could. Birding is always part of our travels but this was without a doubt the best guided tour we have experienced. Miguel is an amazing guide and a lovely person to spend the day with. He is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the birds of the area, and is able to pepper the walks with details about the ecology, history and community of the areas we visited for those who are not as birdy. A wonderful day I encourage folks of all levels to book!

Date of experience: March 2021
Reviewed 1 March 2021

Miguel and Julie were great tour guides! They are very knowledgeable of the bird species, history of the Mayan culture and ruins, and locations of rare and beautiful birds. They provided a delicious breakfast and lunch too! It was amazing seeing a Motmot and Trogon among the other endemic and seasonal birds-- truly amazing!

Date of experience: February 2021