“Don't skip dessert”

Ranked #84 of 452 Restaurants in Tulum
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local sea-to-table ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Pesos only.
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

We had the octopus and the spare ribs. Both were fine. The service was attentitive. The drinks potent. And the dessert was life altering.

We had th baked plantain. Which while lovely was completely shadowed by the fudge brownie. The name is misleading and doesn't do justice.

It's four triangles of dense rich Mayan cacao cake. It's soft and moist but not gooey. It's topped with a cloud of passion fruit infused cream and a hidden nugget of coconut butter.

DO NOT MISS THIS ONE

Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Memorable meal - everything was great and price was much less than expected.
All staff had and upbeat and humorous attitude.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Worth the hype and the $$$$. Everything from the servers, to drinks, food, even the washroom was AMAZING! I was definitely turned off by the prices at first but honestly it was worth every penny! Ordered the lobster salad (my fave), pork ribs, and corn ice cream. All dishes were so detailed and delicious I couldn't believe it. If you splurge at all during your trip do it at Hartwood.
NOTE: Cash only, bring lots of it too.

Reviewed 16 February 2018

we really loved everyting we ate here! I would say the only downfall would be that we felted a little stressed during the dinner, the food come really quick and you we feleted a pressure to eat up quick even tho spended a lot of money. it is pricy but well worth a visit! book well in advance is my recommendation :)

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

I was afraid Hartwood wouldn’t be worth the hype because so many of these reviews are hot and cold. I decided to find out for myself and I’m so glad I did! Hartwood is amazing and was 100% worth it! It was the best meal we had in Tulum (compared to: Raw Love, Pescada Margherita, La Eufemia, Chaca Bar, La Chula Oyster and Raw Bar).

We spent about 3,700 pesos including tip, which wasn’t cheap but we did order a lot of food! We got 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 1 side, 1 dessert, 1 carafe of mezcal margaritas (5 drinks) and 1 digestif. Not bad for the price, honestly, and it was SO GOOD!

Our favorite items were the lobster salad, octopus, and roasted beet. GET THE BEET!! It was a highlight.

As far as people feeling “rushed” or like the restaurant was “snooty,” we didn’t really get that vibe. We were there for about 2 hours on Valentine’s Day and no one rushed us. Our server did say that it’s easier for the kitchen if we put our entire order in at once but it seemed genuine vs rushy. :)

1  Thank Brittneyleanne