“Best place on island! Unique and high quality meal choices. Very kind owners.”
Review of Chez Fred et Lea

Chez Fred et Lea
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Don Khone
Price range: US$1 - US$6
Reviewed 15 March 2020

I came here maybe 30 times during my trip...every day, sometimes twice! Very kind and helpful owners (both French and Lao), high quality ingredients used in food, big portions, very good price/quality relationship... unique options compared to most places on the island. It's very hard to pull something like this off on these isolated islands, a big congratulations to Fred & Lea!

Date of visit: March 2020

Reviewed 10 March 2020

I was fortunate to be staying right beside Chez Fred et Lea at Mr. Bounphan's guesthouse, where I could step out of my room and in about thirty seconds be at one of the very best restaurants on Don Khone - or anywhere, for that matter. I never expected to find such a place on this small island in the far southern reaches of Cambodia. The food is excellent all around, the atmosphere convivial and relaxed, and the owners and staff friendly and professional. I ate here at least three times while on a short stay on the island, and would gladly return.

2  Thank atravelerfornow
Reviewed 14 February 2020

This restaurant and Salon de Thé is an incredible find. We came for dinner one night and came back every night until we left the island. Fred, a Frenchman, runs the front of house while Lea runs the tiny kitchen, miraculously turning out marvelous Lao and French dishes. Fred is a great source of knowledge about the environs, charming and easy to chat with. Every visit was delightful. I’d go back to Don Khon just to eat here again.

1  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 10 February 2020 via mobile

Be there early enough in the evening because you can not make a reservation for 2 person in advance! Be there at 6pm or around 8 and ask Fred. It’s really worth a try because Fred, Lea and team offer you best Lao food! We’ve been there for dinner yesterday, we had breakfast today and guess where we'll be having dinner tonight. By the way: Fred can also organize kajak tours around the island and it took him 5min to organize our private trip to Ubon Airpprt for tomorrow. Did I mention that breakfast is really delicious? Fresh fruit, fantastic home-made joghurt - superb!!

2  Thank StefanG446
Reviewed 29 January 2020 via mobile

Excellent food, service and coffee! Best coffee I had on Don Khone. We had dinner here our first night of 6 night stay on a friend’s recommendation. We went back every single day for a year of some sort - coffee, tea, dinner or dessert. Fred and Lea are warm and genuine hosts, and made us feel very welcome - even accommodating my friends insatiable desire for extra milk for his lattes. We tried the chicken laap, massaman curry, Mok Pa (steamed fish with lemongrass), sweet & sour chicken, and chocolate cake. Everything was delicious, fresh and beautifully presented. Thanks for a great week!

Date of visit: January 2020