“Great food Terrible Service ”
Review of La Mesa Grande

La Mesa Grande
Cuisines: Pizza, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A hip bakery + cafe in San Miguel de Allende serving your favourite bread, pastries, salads, sandwiches and wood-burning oven pizza throughout the day. To complement our baked goodies, try a cold craft beer from Mexico, wine by the glass or bottle or sit down and join others in conversation with a delicious latte, cappuccino or iced coffee at La Mesa Grande! Now accepting Visa, MasterCard and debit, as well as your hard-earned cash!
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

The food here is great but the likelihood of getting silverware, or creamer or anything that isn’t tied directly to your order, forget about it. Be prepared to wait for your check as well.

rosita58, Manager at La Mesa Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Hi Aric,

Thanks for your review. It comes at a timely time, as we have just hired new servers for the busy winter season here in San Miguel, and a few of them are just getting to know the serving industry. We value your comment and will try to have people better-trained before they head to the floor. Thanks.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

I have frequented this spot often on my visits to SMA. From coffee drinks to pastries, breakfast, and lunch they have been consistently good. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I especially like the cappuccino in the morning and the lentil soup or the Greek salad for lunch. It's a must for every visit.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

We've eaten breakfast at La Mesa Grande twice and on both occasions we remarked afterwards how unfriendly the service was. Menus are distributed mechanically, smiles non existent, and thank you never spoken. In contrast the patrons we've shared tables with have always been cheerful and friendly so there's that going for them.

On our most recent visit we had huevos rancheros and pancakes. The huevos rancheros were average and the pancakes delicious except they were delivered without butter and syrup. A second waiter noticed this and sent our original guy back with a thimble full of syrup and less than half an ounce of hard refrigerated butter. I asked for more of both and the guys sitting near us laughed commenting 'they treat butter like gold here.' He wasn't kidding. When we received our bill we discovered they had charged us an additional six pesos for our excess butter/syrup consumption. Frankly this sort of thing just pisses people off and sends the to tripadvisor to rate their restaurant as average instead of good.

We won't be racing back to La Mesa Grande but aren't planning on a boycott either. Maybe our average experience so far is the exception rather than the rule, the place is popular enough.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I have been buying my bread and croissants at Mesa Grande for years, and now I am also addicted to they copious and delicious lunch and fresh juices. They also have delicious breakfast. I always meet interesting people there at the large community table! Really nice atmosphere and great staff!

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

A great place to grab a quick soup, salad or sandwich in San Miguel de Allende. Mesa Grande also offers a great slice of pizza and baked goods. This is where I get my fix for a good NY style bagel. They offer a sandwich with smoked trout on a bagel that takes me back home.
Provecho!