“Cabo Azul - Paradise!”
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I came to Cabo Azul last October, so this review is a bit late. I can't say enough about this property! AMAZING. You walk into the 'front desk', which was actually just a room converted to a check-in area because the lobby isn't finished yet. Once you start the tour, you will be stunned by some of the architecture and decor of the entire resort. Our room was a 2nd floor, ocean view 2-bedroom villa. The decor is insanely beautiful, all the way down to the light fixtures. The rooms can be a bit dark in the evenings, so putting makeup on can get a little tricky. But, after a few margaritas, who cares? :) My only complaint about the rooms would be the couch - it is terribly uncomfortable. The TV's are a bit outdated, but if you are heading on vacation to watch TV, you should have stayed home! Everything else is top-notch!

The pool area is spectacular! From the landscaping, to the ambiance, to the service - the developer has left no stone unturned here. The drinks are pretty pricey at the bar and you cannot bring your own food/beverage to the pool like most timeshare resorts. For us, no biggie. We just had drinks in the room and only a few down at the pool. Flor de Noche, the pool restaurant/bar, is stunning. The food is awesome and the service is fabulous. There are three pools total, all tier into the bottom pool. The pools are not very shallow, so if you are bringing kids, take note. I personally liked the bottom pool the best, since you have a great view of the ocean. There are also really comfy lounges on the beach - BUT DO NOT SWIM IN THE OCEAN. It is not a swimming beach due to the strong current.

Javier's is the same chain they have here in Orange County, CA. Overpriced, especially for Mexico, but fantastic food (different menu than in the states) and you are right on the sand. Again, the decor and vibe here are fabulous.

The hotel has great security, but you probably wouldn't know it. The extra-beefy guys that look like they are waiters/managers, are actually the security. They stand at every possible entrance and make you feel very safe - no vendors, no outside guests.

We are actually owners here, and bought this timeshare 'sight-unseen' at a presentation in OC last year. While I know many people fuss and complain about the value of a timeshare and how many people get ripped off, I don't agree. If you are going to buy one, USE IT. Otherwise, you really are wasting your money. We did take advantage of the 'free' shuttle from the airport (this is free in exchange for listening to another presentation) but did not buy any more points at the resort. Keep in mind, this is how the salesmen make their money - don't judge them and be rude, they are just trying to make a living. We were firm, and ours backed off.

I did not try the spa, but hear it is great. We are headed this September again and I will have to try it then! I hope you enjoy this resort as much as we did!

Room Tip: Ask to see your room, if you don't like the location, they will do their best to change it! Sav...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SurfBum79
Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)

Reviewed 7 June 2012

This was an amazingly beautiful resort. However it's absolutely impossible to swim in the ocean here as the waves are always violent. You cannot snorkel even in Cabos San Lucas either as the waves will constantly go over your snorkel. The sand in particular outside of San Lucas towards San Jose del Cabo is GRAVEL! Very painful on the feet. There is no white fine sand beach with calm water to be found here. I will not go back despite the beautiful resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KimC961
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Very helpful staff, amazing room. You leave wanting to take the pool bar with you.

Room Tip: Buy provisions for breakfast at the store and have your girlfriend make you breakfast sandwiches eve...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I came here with a group of 17 people to share in my friends wedding from So. Cal. Her brother has a time share and his gift to her was to give up the rooms. I felt like I was in paradise! The rooms are very clean and calming. As soon as you walk into the room, they have nice music on the radio... Nice touch. The resort itself is breath taking! I felt like a princess. I also felt very safe as I was alone a lot of the time (due to my own devices). The grounds along with the pools and all the comfy lounge chairs and pods were spectacular. Awesome view of the ocean from the pool area (there are 3 pools very close together) The chapel that my friend got married it deserves a 10+, it was so romantic and like a dream. My only complaints are, like a lot of the review, the rooms are DARK. The bathrooms were so dark that while getting ready for the wedding we had to request a lamp to be placed into the bathroom just so we and the bride would be ready for her big day! Another thing is, The Cabo Azul Resort does not have a "Brides room" At least we were not offered one. That would have been so helpful. We had to get ready in our room. We spent a lot of money to get our hair done by the staff and that was in our room (and I was not happy with how my hair turned out, and asked politely to tame it down a bit, but the woman doing our hair didn't have time and said that by the time the wedding came and we were at the reception the humidity would help it to fall) I was fine with that. It wasn't my wedding and I was not the center of attention. Still, to pay $70 for a hairstyle, no wash or dry.. just to have it done was $70 and it would have been nice to be accommodated a little more. My friend had to put her wedding gown and shoes on at the room that was way in the back of the hotel towards the ocean, and we were escorted (15 mins late) to the chapel. It was a bit frustrating we had to walk so far and couldn't primp right before we walked down the aisle. A room for the bride and groom near the chapel would be an awesome accommodation! My friend was so worried her husband to be would catch a glimpse of her before she walked down the aisle.
All in all the resort is lavish and relaxing. I loved laying by the pools in the evening time. They play very relaxing music and have torches making for a romantic feel. As I said earlier, I felt very safe. The staff were super helpful and friendly. I was uncertain of where the deli was, and had asked a gentleman on the grounds, and he kindly walked me to it :)
I'd give this palce a 5, but the lighting in the bathrooms and the guest rooms are really dark and the fact that there isn't a room near the chapel for the guests to get ready before they wed is a strike. Especially since we had to all get into an elevator (my friends dress was your typical wedding gown.. not elevator friendly) and walk from the back of the hotel to the front.
The wedding turned out to be lovely. The flowers were AMAZING (wish we could have brought them back to the states) The staff that greets you and takes your luggage are spectacular! We did a lot of sight seeing and took many a taxi in and out of the resort, and they were always there to open our doors and grab our belongings and even help us when we had groceries to lug up to our rooms!
This is a trip I will always remember. Gorgeous, gorgeous resort! We can now laugh that the lighting was far from good, especially to get ready to be in a wedding, but everything else was awesome! Friendly staff, beautiful clean pools, yummy food (a bit pricey, but you are in a resort), super comfortable beds. One more complaint from me would be, our room was near The Mayan next door, and we had a bit of an ocean veiw, but there is land there with nothing but dirt... NOT exactly the paradise I would have enjoyed looking at everyday, but we did see the ocean so I can't complain too much! I just would be nice if they did something with that land to make it more eye appealing. I saw the penthouse and now those rooms are 5 stars for sure!! I'd definitely go back and consider getting married myself there, only if I had a room near the chapel and I would ask for an extra lamp in advance :D

Room Tip: Ask for extra lighting for the bathrooms if you are planning a wedding here prior to getting ready f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank karen f
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We attended a wedding here recently and the resort is beautiful! The pool area is nice and our room was great (except the lighting, as mentioned in other posts). I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple