All reviews pool area lovely hotel fireplace city downtown
Reviewed 12 January 2015

This property has wonderful potential, but some care needs to be taken in the rooms. Villa San Jose has a most beautiful, spacious grounds that are beautiful landscaped and well taken care of. When you drive onto the property, you feel like you've come to someplace really special.

I wish the same care and attention was applied inside their rooms. Our room was large with beautiful views of the Historico Centro of Morelia. We had a fireplace where we had a warm, romantic fire overlooking the views of the city. Perfect so far, but, when you took a closer look, the bathroom was well worn, with black in the grout, cracks in the tile and it was kind of... just yuck! Our king sized bed was comfie but pillows small, lumpy and stinky. We were happy that we had bought some pillows beforehand at Costco which we were able to use. Serious updating needed.

The price was very good, but I guess that's why. Also the fact that it is outside the city center, which was what we were looking for this time. But if someone wanted to go to Morelia to see the Historico Centro, they would be much better off with a hotel in that location.

The restaurant was just OK. Again, amazing views, but the food was pretty basic. I was happy enough with my soup and salad, but my husband had the local dish of Enchiladas de Morelia which was cold and undercooked. I had a Gin Martini which was so watered down, you couldn't taste the gin. On the other hand, our waiter was awesome - friendly and attentive.

Having said all that - would I stay here again? Maybe. Would I eat in the restaurant again? Definitely not.

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatNap369
Reviewed 8 December 2014

I saw this place in internet and I though it was nice but when I saw it in person I really appreciated how charming looks like. All the hotel has a mexican style, with beautiful gardens. The restaurant has an awesome view of Morelia and food its tasty. In other info, Its not close to Morelia's downtown. I'd back to this hotel in my next visit to Morelia.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is situated in the hills above Morelia. There is a reasonably good view from some of the rooms but I don't feel that compensates for the inconvenience. There are many hotels in Morelia that are well situated near the City Centre and restaurants..
The rooms are large and have reasonably good facilities but the decor is a bit tired. We did not find any central lounge or other place to sit or to meet people. There is a bar but it is far from reception so not a daytime meeting place.
The food at breakfast was very poor. The coffee was stewed. The toast was poor quality white bread. The fruit seemed old and limp. The orange juice looked good but I didn't try it. There was very little choice of food.
One strikingly good feature was a young employee who is from Korea and is called Kim. She was wonderful in every way. She seemed determined that every guest should have a good time and a minimum of inconvenience. Thank you Kim!

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view.If you have trouble with stairs tell them.
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Sabre44
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We booked the master suite on-line and didn't feel that the price paid was worth the interior amenities and overall experience. Yes, the view of the city was spectacular and the grounds are well maintained and attractive. However, Villa San Jose should put more effort into their furniture and decor; futhermore, the in-room jacuzzi was only available for one of the two suites (guess which one we got...). The breakfast buffet was not good and the coffee was weak. Finally, they had noisy, late-night parties both nights of our stay. Oh, and we had to ask the maid service to clean off fingerprints from the picture window, remove cookie crumbs from the sofa, and a long hair from the sink. Nevertheless, the hotel staff were friendly and efficient, but the management needs to be more attentive to its vision and mission.

Room tip: Be sure to call reception to make sure you get what you think you're booking if doing so on-line.
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Nick J
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We always stayed in villa san jose and we enjoy it so much. It is a beautiful hotel, with amazing gardens, nice and neat people and outstanding food. We feel so greatfull we can enjoy a place so wonderful in Mexico. And a nice thing to add, is pet friendly. We love Morelia and we love Villa San Jose.

Room tip: the room 29 has a beautiful view from the city, and every single room is different from each other. All of them are so amazing.
Date of stay: August 2013