All reviewsmountain viewlarge bathroomcathedralmexicocentrovolcano
Reviewed 17 November 2017

We recently stayed at this hotel before the Day of the Death Festival and really enjoyed it!

Rooms are quite big, really well iluminated and spotlessly clean. If you are lucky enough to get a room on the left side of the elevator, you will enjoy some amazing views of the cathedral and Popocateptl (vulcano).

The staff was lovely and couldnt be more helpful. We only had one day in Puebla and wanted to visit Cholula at first time in the morning but any tour organized this express visit, but the hotel contacted someone who arranged this crazy visit for us!!!

Breakfast was quite nice too, we ordered some ham and cheese "molletes" (bread), with pico de gallo (onion, peppero, tomato...), unlimited coffe and orange juice. Tasty and not very expensive.

We only regret not having spent more time in Puebla as it was one of our favourite stops in the country.

Room Tip: left side of the elevator, you will get amazing views!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2017

The room was kind of clean and the hotel was in a good location.

That's it.

I was woken up 5 times during the night by yelling guests, music, and alarms. The staff was rude when we asked for an additional towel and some glasses. The beds were not really comfortable and the view from the room was an ugly brick wall.

I would come back if there was no other option, but for the price I feel you can do better.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I've been staying at the Gilfer for more than a decade. Supposedly they made some renovations recently. We didn't see them. I chose the Gilfer for location. It is on the backside of the block bordering their zocalo. We had reservations and I asked for a room with a view of the cathedral. You could see only the bell towers from the room we were given. The porter called the front desk and we were moved to a higher floor but still not great. We were told it was an executive suite but it was the same size and furnished exactly as the lower floor. The front desk clerk told us we would not pay the increased charge this time. There won't be a next time. The room is adequate. I like that the Gilfer has bathtubs but they have been painted and paint is peeling in the tubs. The cleaning staff leaves the door to the service area open so you can see mop buckets, mattresses and such. Real class. I liked their restaurant in the past but the service is the worst now. There were four or five waiters and getting their attention was difficult. They would be grouped together chatting. Orders were not served at the same time and they got the order wrong. Again, I see that the staff is not being trained.

Room Tip: Good luck getting one with a view of the cathedral
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

I stayed for 3 days on the 5th floor with a mountain view. Reception speaks some English but the wifi is weak and sometimes unable to connect from the room.

The room size is huge and the housekeeping was trying to maintain the room well. However, the furniture quality and decor are aging. The hotel location is perfect and right in the centro.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2017

Phenomenol view of the main cathedral, hard beds but not unbearable, fantastic location, a walk through the shopping tunnel puts you right in the zocalo amid the cathedral, government palace, restaurants and stores. Shower so so, poor bathroom design, but great service from the hotel staff.

Stayed: January 2017