“Charming and Picturesque”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

pepkathy
Lewis Center, Ohio
“Charming and Picturesque”
Reviewed 27 October 2020 for a stay in October 2020

This was a great covid getaway in a comfortable cabin that provided total privacy. Although the days were unseasonably warm for the third week of October, temps went down at night, allowing us to use the gas fireplace which went on with a flip of a switch and warmed the whole first floor quickly. Bed in master was a comfortable queen (although a bit squeaky). We enjoyed watching the deer while swinging on the front porch and made use of a small table & chairs from inside for a candle light dinner on the porch as well. Our beagle found the stairs leading to the bedrooms too steep and had to be carried up every night and back down in the morning but we managed them just fine (very thankful for the upstairs bathroom though - wouldn't want to tackle them in the dark). Many nearby restaurants offer takeout but we also made use of the fully equipped kitchen and my husband grilled steaks on the propane grill provided. Hiked trails at nearby Canaan Valley Resort but spent most of our time hiking at Blackwater Falls - a short drive away. We would stay here again. Even though Blackwater has cabins right in the park, we prefer the seclusion offered here.

Date of stay: October 2020
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
quackva
Floyd, Virginia
“Nice idea, nice cabin, but very dirty, Very Disappionted”
Reviewed 30 September 2020 for a stay in September 2020

Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with our stay at the Cooper Homestead. I love history and historical buildings, and the fact that this cabin was one of the first properties in the area was so intriguing to me. But, unfortunately the cabin did not live up to the positive VRBO reviews. I'll start with the positives and then move onto the negatives.

The cabin has been wonderfully restored with all the modern conveniences, yet keeping the bare bones of the original homestead. Kudos to the man that did the original renovation. We loved the house and the property. I loved imagining the family that lived there so long ago. The Cooper family raised seven children there. You can Google the property and learn about the original restoration, and the present owners. The property is beautiful, very quiet, and a really nice place to relax. The decor is wonderfully rustic, going along with the history of cabin. The location was excellent. We were visiting just north of the property, and did some sight seeing to the south.

Now for the negative... and I'm going to go into detail because we were so disappointed. When we first drove up and saw the cabin, we were thrilled, and excited to stay there. But, once we walked in and turned the lights on, we started to notice how extremely dirty the cabin was.

All the light switches were dirty and sticky. The downstairs bathroom sink and kitchen sink were SO slow to drain. The shower head was covered with a yellowish slime that had dried with a string of dried slime hanging from the head. The kitchen table and down bath vanity were dirty, with crumbs on the kitchen table, and soap on the bath vanity. Both bath faucets had toothpaste spatters from the previous guests. There was dog hair on the bed quilt. The trash can smelled awful, and the entire inside of the barrel and rim was dirty and literally sticky. There was an empty bottle of cleaner under the sink, and there were dried up rags and sponges that had been used for cleaning.

The main floors had been vacuumed, but only the main floors, there were cobwebs everywhere, when walking up the stairs and everywhere else you looked. Under the beds was dirty, with something sticky with hair sticking out of it under the master bed. The windows were dirty, really killing the country view. There was a bad odor throughout the cabin. I had brought a candle, but then my husband found about 10 candles in the closet that obviously each visitor had been using. They had all been burned and there were lighters provided. They were obviously used for the cabins odor, not so much for ambiance.

The first thing we noticed was the shower head issue, and I did email The Best of Canaan, and they did send someone over while we were away and cleaned it.

I don't write reviews very often, but we were so incredibly disappointed. We were really looking forward to a relaxing, comfortable stay in this awesome historical cabin.

The reviews on VRBO indicated that the cabin was very clean. I realize that cleanliness is subjective, but of all the places I have rented and stayed, this was by far the worst. I am not concerned about COVID, but the property management company, The Best of Canaan, claimed to be using enhanced more vigorous cleaning practices in their properties in the face of COVID. If that's the case, then I can only imagine this property must have been even worse when COVID wasn't a concern.

I wish I could contact the owner of the property and let them know how unclean their property is. They should re-evaluate their property management company, and possibly consider using a different company.

If they could just pay more attention to the details, cleanliness, odor, aesthetics, the cabin would be such an awesome place to stay!!! It has so much potential. Very disappointed!!

Date of stay: September 2020
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
No pets
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
US$USD
Singapore
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.