Barcelo Ixtapa(Ixtapa)
Hotels.com
Emporio Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Free Breakfast
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$105
Bookit.com
  • Free Breakfast
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$275
US$179
Bookit.com
Hotel Fontan Ixtapa(Ixtapa)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$163
US$158
  • Pool
Posada Real Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$98
  • Pool
US$168
US$414
clubmed.us
  • Free Breakfast
All reviewsplunge poolpersonal assistantterrace barthe penthouseroom servicecomplimentary guacamolecooking classprivate terraceseafood restaurantchips and guacamolemain poolprior to our arrivalsteam roomthe pacific oceanevery staff memberlow seasonthe general manager
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Cala De Mar is truly redefining relaxation.

This hotel and its staff go out of their way to make sure you have everything you could possibly need on your trip. The general manager, Javier, stopped by to talk to us twice and even helped us order our dessert wines one night. Food here was amazing and we couldn't find a bad dish at any of the restaurants or using room service to the point that we had room service at least 10 times in 4 days.

Free beer and guacamole was brought to our room every day at 5pm! Free bottled water was EVERYWHERE (seriously, we had so much water).

They work hard to keep the pool quiet and Francisco, the pool guy, was attentive and helpful. The rooms are incredibly spacious and private with tons of towels and lots of free goodies throughout. The staff at the spa was so talented that we ended up getting 2 massages (Lette is a god tier masseuse).

Cala de Mar's personal assistant was super helpful in a ton of different ways. I had actually gotten sick during my stay and she helped bring a doctor who treated me and prescribed me meds (that totally fixed me... despite some worries I had about getting treated outside the US).

This hotel is seriously on a different level. I cannot express how satisfied me and my significant other were.

Room Tip: Get the romance delux suite to make sure that the sun hits your private pool!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham D
Javier_Aluni, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Appreciated Graham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and future travelers; it was a pleasure to meet you during your visit. On behalf of the entire staff at Cala de Mar we are truly honored to read you had a wonderful time and that we succeeded your expectations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me back for a future reservation; we would love to have you back!

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

We are currently at this hotel as we speak! Got here Sat, 4/14. Here for the next week. Everything, service, room, food has been BEYOND OUTSTANDING!!! Feels like we have the whole place to ourselves!
If you're seeking a secluded, quiet, NON-Touristy Boutique Style Resort, then this place is def for you!
We have only seen maybe 3 other couples since we arrived Saturday.
The service is impeccable, it seems as if the entire staff knows where we are at all times.
When we went to town of Ixtapa, the front concierge called a taxi for us, told the driver where we wanted to go, as another concierge wrote down the license plate of the car, I'm assuming for safety reasons? This assured us and eased our worries (since the recent travel advisory warning for American tourists is at a level 4).
We shopped the nicer area of the shops of Ixtapa, where we found shops like "Lacoste", "Nautica", and of the like.

Our room we originally booked via Snap Travel (which I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND USING- EVER!!) Booked us for a plain Ocean Front room, promising to call the hotel prior to our arrival, to upgrade us to a Deluxe Oceanfront. When we checked in, the front desk girl said no one called (Snap Travel "agents") so we were lucky to be able to upgrade ourselves, for an extra $100 USD more per night. Mind you- Snap Travel does not have an actual phone number to actually TALK to ANYONE! It's all done via text. No instructions were sent to us prior, regarding simple things like airport hotel transfers. We stood and waited at the airport, looking out for someone holding up a board with our name, hotel name, SOMEthing... We had to eventually find our own taxi. I was texting with one of the Snap Travel agents throughout this ordeal, from the moment we landed and went thru the hour long customs line. She said she'd call the hotel immediately and let them know we were on our way, and would do the "upgraded room" for us. She never did a thing. That's when we found out no one had called, even tho the "Snap Crap Agent" blatantly LIED straight up to me!

Our front desk check-in girl was a sweetheart. So was "Pedro" (I think that was his name?) That gave us the tour of the hotel when we first arrived. Other sweet, super friendly and helpful wait staff/concierges are Manuel and Felix.
The staff here will basically prepare any dish you desire. There are only 3 restaurants on the property, which aren't all open at all times. It changes daily, and even tho the website says they have 24 hour room service, I forewarn you, if that's one of your must-haves (which sadly was one of ours...) They DO NOT HAVE 24 HOUR SERVICE!!! They stop serving at 11pm! So if you're late eaters like we

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer K
Javier_Aluni, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Appreciated Jennifer K,

Thank your for sharing your experience with us and future travelers. On behalf of the entire staff we are happy to know you describe our services beyond outstantding. We always seek to meet our guest´s expectations and deliver a personalized service.

Your feedback is valuable to us. I´ve shared with the Executive chef your comments on regards food and beverage, be certain this will be a topic to review.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for a future reservation, we will be glad to welcome you again!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2018

The location/views are beautiful. The rooms are spacious & the patios incredible. But for me, it was the service that set the hotel apart.

Unfortunately, on the 2nd day of our holiday, I had quite a serious bike accident. A kind stranger called an ambulance for us + called our hotel. From that point on, the staff of the hotel was with us every step of the way. Nadia met us at the side of the road, came in the ambulance with us, stayed while I had stitches & waited to ensure I was settled in my hospital room. She then went back tot he hotel & brought us a few necessities. Carla rushed to the hospital with my wallet. Nadia came back on Day 2 to check in on me. Once back at the hotel, Carlo took us on an expedition to find a tetanus shot. Cruz greeted us with a smile when we returned, and helped us with any logistical challenges. Everyone went out of their way to make sure I was as comfortable as possible.

Needless to say, it wasn't the vacation I hoped for - but Cala De Mar was a beautiful place to try to recover. I was fairly immobile, so I think we tried almost every item on the room service menu. The burger and steak quesadillas were favourites.

I hope to return so I can properly enjoy the hotel - with no injuries!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunSeeker604

Appreciated SunSeeker604,

First of all we truly hope you had a fast recovery. We appreciate you had the chance to share your experience and we are happy to know it was a good one despite your accident, I feel proud to be part of this great team which cares about our guests.

We are looking forward to hear about your dates for your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me back to confirm your reservation.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

My husband and I spent 10 days at Cala de Mar.
Without exception it was the most amazing breathtaking view from our suite.
The hotel is private, luxurious and quiet.
If you are looking for a personal relaxing vacation the staff certainly will ensure you get everything you need.
The hotel is very clean, runs efficiently and the food is good in all restaurants.
Chef Alan made us Chateaubriand at the terrace restaurant which was the delicious.
When you walk into the room you are on the patio. The personal plunge fininity pool was amazing, although we joked you would have to do 100 laps to get a workout.
Our patio was very comfortable. We spent countless hours relaxing, reading and having a swim on the deck. We have stayed at many hotels but the chairs and sitting area were defiantly the most comfortable to enjoy the sun or have dinner and a glass of wine while watching the stars.
We spent a few hours in the afternoon by the big pool and had great service. It was very comfortable.
Patricia from housekeeping was pleasant and we joked back and fourth teaching each other words and phrases in Spanish and English. She was also very efficient and never a bother.
My husband and set a challenge to walk every beach from Playa Linda to Playa Larga and we received great advise on directions, restaurants and places to see from all the gentleman. I would mention all their names but I certainly don't want to do injustice by misspelling them. Did I mention the beaches were fantastic, no rocks and miles of surf and sand. Taxi's are quick and we found them to be very accommodating, waiting for us while we explored or taking us to a new recommendation.
We enjoyed the complimentary guacamole and beer at 5:00 everyday and also coffee, juice and treats from the library.
We had no issues walking in any areas within Ixtapa or Zihuatenjo. The locals were caring and happy. Our experience in Ixtapa was fantastic, Thankyou to all the members of the Cala de Mar Team for making this a memorable experience.

Room Tip: We had the larger one bedroom room, the deck gets a good amount of sun and shade throughout the day.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChestermereCowgirl
Javier_Aluni, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Appreciated guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your review of Cala de Mar Ixtapa and sharing how much you enjoyed our resort. We are truly honored to read you had a wonderful time enjoying every corner of the resort as well as our attentive service!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

I felt compelled to write only my second review for Trip Advisor, for this wonderful property.

The property spills down the side of a cliff to the Pacific Ocean over seven levels. There are a lot of stairs, but also an elevator and funicular should you need them. We stayed in one of the penthouse suites, and it was beyond luxurious. The entry door to the suite opens to an expansive outdoor living area, complete with plunge pool, loungers and shaded sofas. The view as the entry door was first opened for us was breathtaking (but within the first day we realized that this is the view enjoyed by almost every space at the resort). From the outdoor living area, we moved into the large, air-conditioned bedroom area and then the very well sized bath and dressing area.
As we enjoyed the resort over our 6 nights, we came to really appreciate the various dining venues. We ate meals at everyone of the restaurants and thought the food was very, very good at each. I enjoyed the fitness center most mornings, and we frequented the pool area most afternoons. My wife enjoyed several spa appointments and a private yoga class. We also left the property for breakfast at Carmelita's and dinner at la Perla in Zihuatenejo. While we enjoyed the food at both places, it was always wonderful to return to the resort.

While the property and the facilities, themselves, are extraordinary, it is the staff of the resort that defines the culture and secures its reputation. The staff at Cala de Mar are, without exception, among the best that I have encounter in my travels. I want to mention some in particular, but feel bad that I didn't get the names of the housekeeping staff. That is, in no small part, because they were so unobtrusive and efficient at their work. I have no such excuse for forgetting the names of the staff of the seafood restaurant, who were so pleasant and helpful.

But here goes my personal shoutouts:
Cruz and Davino-These are the first smiling faces that you see when you arrive and return to the property, as well as first thing in the morning. They really set the tone for the resort, and make it feel like your home.
Karla- This is a very competent and efficient personal assistant, who engages you prior to arrival to attend to any special requests and reservations, and is always available during your stay to meet any needs that arise.
Francisco- He is the man at the pool who keeps you in the shade or sun, as you desire, and delivers food and beverages as well as complimentary popsicles. When things get busy, he is ably assisted by Jaime.
Pedro, Daniel and Manuel- These guys make the Terrace Bar a "must stop" every day for tapas or beverages. When we were there, they were also serving the Amare restaurant menu, and did a great job. A really welcoming and friendly staff.
Letty- My wife insisted that I recognize Letty as the master of all spa services. My wife said that she gave extraordinary massages and that she could work at any 5 star spa in a major US city with her skills.
Pilar- We recognize that yoga instructor, Pilar, is a contractor for the resort, but wanted to mention how expertly talented she is as an instructor. Though my wife had never attended a yoga class and is recovering from bi-lateral knee replacements, she wanted to get some private instruction to gauge whether she could participate in this activity. Pilar is well-versed in the accomodations that will allow my wife to enjoy yoga's mental and physical benefits. My wife left the class feeling relaxed, confident and looser.

I end with the complimentary guacamole and beer that arrives at your room around 5:30 everyday. You can't imagine how much you will look forward to it!

A really great place. You can't go wrong

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank gtc708

Appreciated guest,

Thank you for your preference in Cala de Mar Ixtapa and for taking the time to share your experience. We are thrilled to know you had enjoyed every single corner of the hotel, the amazing view that surrounds us and the service offered by our dedicated staff. Your kind words inspire us to continue doing what we enjoy the most, create memorable experiences for our guests.

We look forward to have the honor to serve you and continue making memorable experiences for you in the future.