“Responding to The April 26th Review”

Julio's Private Tours
Ranked #7 of 13 Tours in Ixtapa
More attraction details
Owner description: Downtown Zihuatanejo is called “El Centro” and is a quaint fishing village that sits on a picturesque bay. You will find the local people very warm, friendly and helpful.Julio's Tours offers fishing, snorkeling and cruises. The panga features two cushioned benches for your comfort and is covered for shade to protect you from the sun. On board you’ll find life jackets and an ice chest for your refreshments.
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Your review is unfair. Do you realize the day that you went fishing with Julio was the day that Zihuatanejo experienced a fog phenomenon? A phenomenon so rare that nobody has ever witnessed it before. The cold currents rolled in the middle of the day. This event was on youtube and was talked about by many. The videos I have seen are remarkable. And for you to say that Julio ripped you off is insane. You need to retract your review. You cannot blame Julio for Mother Natures Will. We have fished with Julio and I find your review offensive and cruel.

6  Thank ChicagoStolarski

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Sometimes you strike out fishing and sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. Don't miss out on what was a highlight of our trip because of one negative review. Julio and his family/crew are hard working, really good people who will treat you to a special day on the water.
My girlfriend and I booked the fishing and snorkeling combo trip with Julio's Tours. It could not have been better. From the quick email responses when booking the tour, to the complete information you recieve by email prior to the trip, to the tour itself everything was seamless and easy. We met Julio at the pier, bought some sodas for the day, grabbed a breakfast sandwhich from the nice ladies on the pier (it was excellent by the way) and off we went. Fishing was excellent. We caught more fish than we needed for lunch so we started catch and release. It is truly beautiful out on the water fishing and the fishing was a blast. Julio was extremely helpful and nice. The snorkeling had a little bit poor visibility that day but I still had a good time. Lunch at Julio's mom restaurant was amazing. Our fish was prepared multiple ways and our every need was taken care of by Franco(?) while we spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach. This was the highlight of our trip. It would be great for kids as well. We also enjoyed talking Carol who helped us book the trip and she gave a great recommendation for a dinner we had at Chendos.
Whatever you do, don't miss out on this tour. Even if you just fish casually like we do, you will have an unforgettable day with Julio and his crew/family. Next time we come back to Zihua we plan to do the all day fishing trip.

2  Thank Jsc145
Reviewed 27 April 2012

After the reviews on Tripadvisor my family and I were eagerly anticipating our snorkel combo tour that we booked months in advance with Julio's tours. The big day finally arrived, it started with someone meeting us at the statue claiming to be Julio’s brother, we were taken down to the pier and asked to get on board a boat that was not called the Joceline. We refused as we had been warned about other Captains trying to steal customers. After asking to see Julio, the person that met us said he actually was Julio (no idea why he didn't tell us that first) and that his boat was broken so he was taking us on another boat, eventually this person was able to answer some questions about the booking process and who I corresponded with so I was able to have a bit of confidence that I was dealing with the correct company. We got on the boat and headed to Las Gatas to get snorkel gear. The person that claimed to be Julio (still don't know if he was) got out at Otilia's grabbed some snorkel gear threw it in the boat and then sent us out with two other workers. We never saw him again. Around 9 AM we finally got out of Las Gatas and headed out to fish. We trolled for about an hour without a bite or conversation, eventually the captain of the boat warmed up and we were able to communicate, he suggested that since the fishing was non-existent we try snorkeling at Playa Manzanillo for awhile. In the cove the water was too cold for my children and the current a bit too strong so we spent about 20 min playing around and then headed back out to fish. As we headed north along the coast we ran into fog, the captain and his mate were a little concerned and told us that they had not seen this in 25 years of fishing. We were told not to worry and they brought out a hand held GPS and we made our way back to the mouth of Zihua Bay. Here we came upon several boats that had stopped because they were unable to see in the fog. The captain said we needed to head in and asked us if we wanted to go to Las Gatas or back to the pier. I asked him what we could do or see in the fog at Las Gatas and we were told nothing, so we decided to head to the pier. We got back to the pier at 11:30 AM. The information provided about this trip told me that I could expect to fish and snorkel from 8 AM and be taken to Otilia's to eat our catch at 1 PM. I was not concerned that we did not catch any fish as I have had many experiences getting skunked. I was concerned that the two guys on our boat were eager to get us back and then demanded full payment for half of a trip. We were not allowed off the boat until we paid the remaining $100. When I brought up the fact that we had only done 1/2 the tour I was told that they would take us back out fishing or to Las Gatas if we liked. Neither was an option because of the dense fog. I felt cheated and ripped off. I would advise anyone thinking about going with this company to be aware that money not customer satisfaction is the number one priority, and they are not above holding you and your family ransom until they get what they want.
Before writing this review I contacted the company and was told that Julio did actually take me out and he had a much different version of the story. Go figure. I gave the company the opportunity to make things right, hoping that there was communication errors. I was offered a half price trip if we ever made it back to Ixtapa. I would not subject my family to this ever again. I write this review hoping that other families will not have their day ruined having to deal with a company like Julio's tours.

8  Thank dslower
Julio_Bustos, Owner at Julio's Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

We're sorry that you didn't experience a great day on the water as most others have. We can't be responsible for what Mother Nature does and the freak fog bank and cold water condition hasn't occured in over 25 years. To address your concerns, we are baffled as to some of your incorrect statements. Julio met you at the statue at the base of the pier as he has done for years and the statement that he said that he was Julio's brother is ridiculous. You are correct that Julio's panga, The Joceline, was not available that day and Julio had arranged to use a friends panga. Almost all pangas are exactly the same. You boarded the panga with Julio and his deckhand Santos and headed to Las Gatas to get your snorkel gear as Julio has done on every trip before. Julio saw what sizes of fins you needed, got off the panga and picked up the correct snorkel gear and got back on the panga. Your statement that he sent you out with two other workers and that you never saw him again is completely false. The truth is that Julio and Santos spent the day with you.

Your wife seemed very concerned about the weather conditions and said she was scared a couple of times and wanted to go back in. Honoring your request, you were taken back to the pier and arrived at 12:00pm, not 11:30am. Your further statements that you were demanded for payment, that you were not allowed off the boat and held hostage for ransom are again completely false. The actual truth is that you docked at the pier and your wife and children got off the boat and climbed the few stairs to the top of the pier and you got off the boat and stood on the landing. When you questioned about paying for the balance of the trip and that you had gotten in one hour early, Julio offered to take you back out for another hour and reminded you that it was your choice to come in early. The last straw is when you sent us an email threat demanding a $100 refund or you would post a negative review. You said that if we refunded the $100 that you wouldn't make your negative post. We consider this close to blackmail and wanted no part of it.

What your motives are in writing all of these untrue statements is beyond us. Julio has and will continue to have an excellent reputation. Everyone needs to read all of Julio's reviews on this forum and the Zihuatanejo forum and then make a logical decision.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

What a nice day out fishing and snorkeling! Julio met us promptly at the statue at the pier and took us out for hours of fishing and then to a quiet snorkeling spot. It took a while for the fish to start biting but once they did we caught a good sized black tuna every five minutes or so as well as a couple of mackerel. Even my 9 year old daughter was reeling them in! Then we headed off for snorkeling which was good for this area but will never compare to something like Cozumel ;-0 They do what they can and do it well! afterwards we headed to Carol's place to have our fish fixed up and enjoy our feast! Great fish, nice boat, great company with Julio and Carol and crew! Thanks guys! best part of our trip so far!

1  Thank LauraLCinLino