“It was an exciting day for sure”

Julio's Private Tours
Ranked #7 of 10 Tours in Ixtapa
More attraction details
Owner description: Downtown Zihuatanejo is called “El Centro” and is a quaint fishing village that sits on a picturesque bay. You will find the local people very warm, friendly and helpful.Julio's Tours offers fishing, snorkeling and cruises. The panga features two cushioned benches for your comfort and is covered for shade to protect you from the sun. On board you’ll find life jackets and an ice chest for your refreshments.
Reviewed 19 April 2015

We were picked up in the early morning and taken to the boat for fishing. We caught a lot of very large fish. Then they took us to Ixtapa Island to have a guy cook some of our fish. This I thought ridiculous as after very few drinks and the fish it was like $156. We tried to tell the guy on the boat that we didn't need to do this as our resort would have done it better... Apparently if he spoke better english, or I spanish...

3  Thank Marsha D

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Perhaps because we only chose the snorkeling option, we did not have the 'wow' experience the others had who went for the combo tour that included fishing. I've snorkeled in Hawaii, Belize, the Philippines, and Costa Rica, and I must say, the place where Julio took us was the least satisfactory in terms of the sea life we witnessed. The waters were calm though and the boat ride was fun...just swimming in warm waters is a gift (especially for the winterbound!). Yet, it was rather disappointing not really coming across plentiful sea life. Additionally,Julio did not give us much information during the boat trip. We asked him questions, but did not really get the feeling that he was interested in providing 'insider' information. Granted, it turned out later on that he had a toothache, but I think that even without the toothache, Julio would not be keen on conversing with us. Mind you, he speaks English fluently so it wasn't a matter of a language barrier.

In Belize, for instance, our awesome guide, Carlo in Caye Caulker, told us helpful and interesting details about the sea life and the location where we would snorkel.

Franco at the restaurant was friendly and the lobster tacos were satisfactory. We enjoyed just relaxing at the beach before heading back home. The beach, while calm and shallow, is rocky; the snorkeling gear was also all washed up and hung to dry so our party couldn't go snorkeling again which we were told we could do at Playa Las Gatas. Good thing I had my own snorkeling gear. But if I did not have water shoes, the beach here would not have been fun since your bare feet would have been battered by the plentiful sharp rocks.

Arranging this tour was a breeze...kudos to Carol and Gary who responded so quickly to my many queries....

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Julio offers a good alternative to the larger boat/larger group snorkling tours available in the area. Three of us enjoyed snorkling and then, at our request, a ride on the water to see the shoreline before stopping for lunch at Las Gatas (we paid for our lunch there but service was special because we were with Julio). He is flexible about departure time and activity options, we already have ideas for next visit. We felt safe in his boat. It was spotless, obviously well maintained.

2  Thank adventurousUsa
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Had a great time with Julio and his mate Tomas. Started off fishing and caught 5 Bonita. When it got hot we went to Playa Manzinilla to cool off with the snorkeling. Saw many unusual fish. On our way in, stopped at Julio's mom's restaurant on Playa Las Gatas where she cooked our fish for us.

2  Thank Zmon_13
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I posted my full review under another title. It was overall a good day. We did catch fish. We did snorkel. We did get the beach-side lunch with our catch. They were nice enough and seemed to know what they were doing.
I was only a little disappointed about a couple of things.
There was no instruction or conversation about our experience or knowledge of fishing. So, on the first fish that was hooked, my husband while reeling in, managed to unwind the reel and it fell apart in his hands. It was put back together, but the large fish was lost, and that was the only one we had a chance at.
We did catch 4 black tuna, which you simply put the boat by the jumping feeding fish. After we had those, we seemed to just be trolling without any real effort to catch anything at all. No discussion of what was going on, so we were not sure if the fishing "was done" or what was really happening. But we did have a long boat ride.
Snorkeling was fine, except there was a problem with my mouthpiece. No way to fix it, but really no concern about it either. No instructions about snorkeling, just a vague area to be in and that someone would jump in if we had any trouble. And no ladder to get back into the boat, so had to be bodily lifted over the side to get back in.
It was a fun experience, but I think it could have been a little better with a few changes.