“Good time”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We just returned home from a week at the Dreams PA. First the bad; if you are a shoreline walker this hotel would not be for you. Walking in either direction from the hotel is blocked by rock formations. Now the good; check in was quick and easy, the food was good to excellent (although one night they closed a couple of their restaurants which led to some lengthy waiting time), the room was great, and housekeeping stopped in twice a day. Now the great; the service from all of their workers was fantastic!! Jennifer absolutely made our vacation by helping us solve our problem trying to connect to the internet. Her energy and willingness to please was unbelievable. Each encounter with her left us feeling like royalty.

This hotel really grew on us as the week progressed, which is a testament to the group of people that worked there. They always had smiles on their faces, and seemed to love what they were doing. Thank you for making our week an enjoyable one.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
25  Thank Blue333
Write a ReviewReviews (4,815)

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We attended my brother’s destination wedding with about 35 people the first week of December and we couldn’t have had a better time. I really didn't hear anybody in our party gripe about anything, which I attribute the excellent staff. With a group of 35 people varying in age from 9 - 70, that is really saying something. It was a good time had by all!

Overall, Dreams is a very good value for the price paid, in comparison to the service received. On the Apple rating scale, I would rate this a 4 golden apple - golden for the service. There was something for all age groups to do day and night. While I don't know the intricacies of all the wedding planning, the wedding and the reception all seemed to be planned out very smoothly. The wedding took place in the gazebo, followed by a cocktail reception at the Barracuda bar (they closed the bar for our private cocktail hour, with horsdevours), followed by a dinner reception in the private room above the Italian restaurant. The filet and shrimp dinner at the reception was very good. The steak was better quality than the low quality (but perfectly cooked) filet served in the Italian restaurant. Everybody had such a great time it makes me want to gather a crowd of family and friends and go back to renew my vows!

Arrival was uneventful. Our room was ready on arrival and our room keys were handed to the concierge, who I kindly told I wasn't interested in hearing about any timeshare opportunities. Then, instead of having the concierge call the bellman at some later point in time to bring our bags to our room (which she told us was standard procedure), I walked over to the bellman and waited for him. We were in our room, with our bags in minutes. Our friends didn't get their bags for 2 hours.

We booked an Ocean View Preferred Club room and the view from room 740 was fantastic. I highly recommend the upgrade. The room was dead center, overlooking main pool, beach and ocean. The view and the extras were well worth the $175 total we paid for four nights. I did find it odd that there are no dressers in the room. We put ALL our clothes in the closet. 24 hour room service is a nice touch (available in all rooms).

The main pool and hot tub (crowded/dirty) were nicely located next to the beach, but the main pool was cold at this time of year because it got pretty chilly after sundown. I did walk by the adult pool a couple times, and there were always several people there, but there was never anything fun going on. It should be called the quiet pool. If you go to this resort without kids, don’t expect the adult pool to be a party area. It is tranquil and perfect for quiet reading. The music is very subdued – think spa type music.

Food is very average. Not good, not bad. You won't go hungry. I felt the food was on par for what I would expect at an AI in this price range. Expect non-buffet dinners to last 2 hours. Where food quality was lacking, liquor quality helped make up for it. The selection wasn’t huge, but it was brand name. As I've seen mentioned many times, the service is very good at the resort as a whole. The hotel employees go out of their way to take care of you and make your stay enjoyable. Tip early, tip often!

Lots of good stuff to see in the ocean. My 10 year old found a starfish and a couple larger shellfish just off the beach, towards the gazebo. The kids also found dozens of mini hermit crabs on the rocks of the natural pool. The beach is small, but nice. Bar/food service on the beach is a nice touch. I’ve been at AI resorts that cost far more and they don’t offer beach service. Some of the other notable things that the kids in our group enjoyed were the ocean trampoline, ocean climbing wall, bungee trampoline and the nightly beach movie. We had the kids eat dinner on the beach one night with the kids club, during the nightly movie. The hotel brought out a kids buffet on the beach during the movie and we got to enjoy an adults only dinner!

Another plus of the resort is the adjoining gated community. A very safe 10 minute walk will get you to the Dolphinarium, which has Dolphins, Manatees, sea lions and sting rays, which can all be seen for free. The same area has a couple open air bars, trinket shops, restaurants, etc. I spent a few hours at Gringos bar watching the Bears lose. They had three different games playing on a handful of tvs. It was a nice little open air bar with good food.

Two Negatives:
First, the free internet in Preferred Club is brutally slow and the signal is very weak. I clocked it at 91kbps. It took 5 minutes just to complete the CNET Speed Test, which usually takes a couple seconds. Reception was 3 bars out of 5 on my laptop, 0 bars on my cellphone. I tried wifi on my cellphone at several indoor locations and it stinks everywhere. In addition, all websites visited displayed their Mexican version even though my Internet Explorer settings indicate US-English. The service continually logs you out after 5 minutes of idle time. Normally I wouldn't care about internet, but I was doing my best to send my mother a couple pictures of the wedding. It was impossible.
Second, don’t let the $200 in vouchers ($400 in Preferred Club) excite you. Expect that you can’t/won’t use most of them. Before we went, I had read info on how you could only use them on specific items, but they were far more restrictive than anything I had read online. Consider these to be coupons used to up sell on products/services you would otherwise not purchase. For example, I had $200 in spa coupons, but could only use $40 towards an overpriced massage. My daughter couldn’t use any spa coupons for hair braiding/beads (which is done in the spa).

Overall, a very memorable vacation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank PeteInIL
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My wife and I spent a week at this resort from Nov. 29 - Dec. 6 2011 for a friend's wedding. After a full travel day it is too bad that the resort isn't closer to Cancun, but alas the hour plus drive wasn't as bad as reviewers make it out to be. Upon arriving at the resort, we checked in and were given a tour of the facilities and restaurants.

The room:
Overall, I was impressed by the room. We were on the first floor (rm 164) a straight walk out our patio to the main pool bar. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was roomy and had two bowl-shape sink basins, a swiveling shaving mirror, and a large shower with no door. The mini-bar is not full of little airline bottles of booze (maybe I was expecting too much). There are assorted bottles of soda and a few Coronitas. Our room had a couch, coffee table for room service trays, a flat screen TV, DVD player, safe, closet with iron and board, etc. Don't turn on the TV and expect to watch Sportscenter. ESPN in Mexico is very soccer-centric. You didn't come to the beach to sit inside and watch TV, but at night a few comforts of home would be nice. Our fridge was in need of defrosting and hence wasn't ever really running. Still the temperature of the room was chilly (great for sleeping) and the big ice chunk kept the beverages fairly cool.

WiFi:
I bought the internet from the resort for $60 for the week, rather than risking international roaming charges from Verizon. It worked pretty well...... In the room laying on the bed, my Ipad2 would lose signal and then find it again. The further I went away from the building the better the signal strength. It worked flawlessly on the beach.

The Beach:
A vacation on the Mexican Riviera would be nothing without ocean access. I thought the swimming area was a little small, but the reef comes pretty close to the shore, so there's not a lot they can do. The first day we were there it was extremely calm and thus snorkeling was AWESOME! The reef off our beach is filled with tropical fish and they are NOT afraid of humans. Schools of fish were swimming right around me while I snorkeled. As a guest you are allowed 1 hour of snorkeling each day of your stay. If the wind is calm (rare) I would highly recommend snorkeling. They also offer you use of kayaks and there's a catamaran ride you can take with a resort employee steering.

Beach service:
They have servers on the beach who are walking from chair to chair taking drink orders and bringing you whatever you want; food, drinks, etc. Service was always with a smile. I'm a bartender so I was giving these cocktail servers tips and they were certainly appreciative. I changed $100US for about $1300pesos before I left Minneapolis just to tip people with. Some people look at an all-inclusive as a no-tipping zone and then complain when the service isn't very good. You will still get served, they may just be more attentive to the needs of those throwing a few pesos or dollars their way. If it is within your means to bring out a $5 American dollar bill and tip your server with it the first time he brings you a drink, you can bet he will be attentive, friendly, making recommendations, offering food for the rest of the day. One guy was so good (bringing me drinks without even having to order) I gave him a second $5 at the end of the day. I'm not sure how much the staff is paid, but my guess is not that much...these guys are busting it all day....break 'em off a couple bucks....a little goes a long way.

Bars:
As a bartender I have to feel for the bartenders. Every other drink is something blended. I guess I didn't feel too bad because I probably had 30 Pina Coladas over the course of a week. These guys are pros. Always smiling and professional. They offer some decent choices for liquor (Tanqueray, Jack, some Absoluts) mixed in with some cheap rail stuff. If you want to drink decent liquor, you can find it here. The main pool bar is open all day and usually closed about 11pm. Desires (the "sports bar") is open later. This is where the shots are flowing and people are tipsy. I think they close at 1am, I wouldn't know because my pregnant wife back in the room gave me a curfew of midnight.

Restaurants:
I think the eats are the reason I gave four green balls instead of five. Not because it isn't good, but because it takes so long to get your food. Every time we went to one of the sit-down restaurants it seemed to take two hours to get through dinner. Maybe this is a cultural difference, I'm not sure, but most times I don't want to sit at dinner for two hours. The Italian place Portafino, was my favorite. Try their Salmon fettucine or get the filet mignon. The key to eating at the sit-down restaurants is to be there when they open. If not, you may be waiting a while as they are first come first served. When we went to El Patio (Mexican sit-down) I was expecting a simpler menu (tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas). They had fajitas, but went very fancy-schmancy with most entrees. I wasn't sure what most of the menu items were. The World Cafe (buffet) for breakfast was decent, but for dinner was mediocre at best. We ate there quite a bit because we didn't want to spend hours at a sit-down, but the food was always just luke-warm and again I thought they were trying too hard to be fancy. At breakfast they make eggs to order or omelets, so that is one good option.

Room service:
Some things were good and some things not-so-good. Again, food temperature was a problem, at least some of the time. It is nice to have round-the-clock room service available and you can order as much or as little as you want. We mainly used the room service for breakfast, but the fajitas and the chicken fingers with BBQ were good too. Staff bringing the room service was always friendly and slipping them a $50peso note (that's less than $4) will get you a nice smile and warm thank you.

Activites:
The activities staff is lead by a guy named Victor. He's everywhere at the resort. He'll be the guy dressed in some crazy outfit, coming up to you to invite you to attend the activities of the day. There is a piece of paper called the Sundial that comes out each day outlining the day's activity schedule. They have water volleyball, beach volleyball, bocce tournaments, fire shows on the beach, movies on the beach, Monday Night Football on the beach, comedy shows in the theater, live music in the lobby where the ladies can salsa with Victor, and much more.

All in all, we had a blast and it was a beautiful setting for my friend's wedding. I hope this in depth review has helped. Have fun.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank PasqualWisdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

stayed there for a week with kids. the hotel is small enough to walk around everywhere quickly. beach is nice, food is very good, service is excellent. rooms definitely need updating. not enough lighting and not enough closet space. also, some sound insulation would be great, so you don't hear people outside the room in the evening or early in am.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Leon718
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My family was just there for a week. We were lucky and put on the 7th floor which is the VIP club. I didn't ask for it so I don't know how we got it. I had already booked the trip before I read the reviews. I usually read several of the worst and the best reviews, but now I think the truth is more in the middle. I really don't think this resort is a 6 golden apple. It's more like a 5. But any resort is going to have good and bad. No resort is perfect so make the most of your vacation and you can somehow have fun no matter where you go. The following was my experience here so you can know what to expect.

The Exceptional
On the 7th floor we had a full time concierge and a counter with champagne on ice and juice and water bottles and chocolate chip cookies always on hand and a bar with bartender and lounge area with a chess game at the end of the hallway. The room was extremely clean and they put MnM's in the minibar for my kids every night. And the beds and pillows were really plush and comfortable. We hung our wet clothes on the balcony and they were dry for the next day and we didn't feel that our room was humid or smelled bad. They don't use wrist bands here or towel cards. So we enjoyed not having bracelet tan lines and not worrying about someone taking our towel. Also you don't have to make reservations for the restaurants. They are first come first served. They had water aerobics in the ocean and that was fun. They had a carribean dinner on the beach one night. They had movies on a large screen every night on the beach around 7:30pm, which we enjoyed. They had a floatable iceburg for climbing at about waist deep in the ocean and a large round floatable raft which all the kids loved. They were anchored and left there all the time. They had great beach servers that walked back and forth all day with drinks and sometimes lunch items. They had bottled water in their aprons and would get you a drink pretty quickly. Around noon chefs would come out with fancy appetizers and walk around the beach and offer a bite while I laid there on a lounge chair. It was nice..Best beach service I've ever seen and have been to the Cancun area over ten times, but first time at this resort. Just less than a 10min walk takes you to the Dolphin Discovery area that lets you swim with dolphins and manatees and stingrays. We did it and it was great fun and worth it. The workers here are really friendly and work real hard so do tip and be friendly in return.

The Disappointing
The room didn't have drawers only a closet for your clothes so we used our carryons to store the foldable items. The room had an open area for the sink and then two double frosted glass panels that did not lock to separate the toilet and shower from the sink area. It was uncomfortable for us because we were a family of four with a tween girl and a teen son and we needed more privacy such as a locking door and a door that was not see through.
So we took turns and didn't let the kids cross the line in the room when someone was showering or changing on the other side. The beach was small and we are used to running/walking on long open beaches and couldn't do that here. They have very few palapas but many lounge chairs so we always found chairs and managed to push them to shade even after 10am. Their main pool is the smallest I have seen in a big resort. They have another adult only pool on the other side of the resort but we didn't go there. It was probably the same size or smaller. The hot tub was large and crowded and looked dirty so I didn't even think about going in there. I didn't like where the volleyball court was because the ball frequently goes into the water and it is very time consuming to get it back since the court is higher than the beach and surrounded by sharp rocks or dark coral and you have to go around that area and back on the beach and swim to the ball to get it back, but we did have lots of fun playing volleyball when the ball stayed on the court. The buffet was the worst I have seen.The reason is that the variety of the food selections is very limited and it doesn't look appetizing. Whoever is in charge of the buffet needs to visit another resort to get better ideas. My kids had to go the room and order room service to get pizza, 'cause they don't offer it in the buffet. So most people go to the restaurants instead of the buffet. The restaurants are fine but take a good amount of your night and we are used to going to buffets getting what we want and being done and not wasting so much time waiting for food to be served. The shows are on a small stage in a theatre at the end of the first floor. I wasn't impressed and would rather go to my room and read if only my room had more lighting. We just had one lamp in the room and there was no way of reading in bed. It was frustrating to me. So take a flashlight or some type of reading light if you like to read in bed like I do.

All in all we did enjoy our trip very much and we were blessed with great weather and lots of fun and relaxation and now that we are back everyone is so jealous of our tans.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
14.3 km away
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!