“Another amazing Dreams vacation!”

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Let me start by saying this is going to be a very in depth review. My boyfriend and I just got back from our 3rd trip to Mexico. Last year we stayed at the Dreams in Cancun. I will review this hotel, as well as how it compares to the Dreams Cancun.

Service:
One word: impeccable. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, you are treated like royalty. Same as the Dreams Cancun.

Layout:
The layout of the hotel was interesting. They divided it into an adults only side, which has a big pool, a hot tub, a swim up bar, and a restaurant (Oceana), as well as a family side, with another big pool, hot tub, swim up bar, and all the other restaurants. Additionally, the beach is on the family side. While the adult side is very quiet, the family side is where all the entertainment happens, and there are a TON of kids running around by the pool. On the beach it wasn't as bad. At Dreams Cancun, the hotel was not divided into adult/family sides, but there didn't seem to be many children anyway.

Beach:
The beach here is protected by rocks/coral and is shared by another neighboring resort; however, the Dreams beach is big enough. The water is that gorgeous tropical color. The sand does have some rocks, so watch out, but most of them seemed to be on the "upper" beach by the pavilion on the water. There are a ton of fish that live in this protected area, and you can borrow snorkel equipment from the dive shop behind Seaside Grill. Make sure you take some bread from the buffet in the morning and feed the fish, either from the "upper" beach (there is a small set of concrete steps near the bridge) or while you are in the water and watch how the fish flock to you. It was awesome! You can feed them by hand, but while the fish don't have teeth, they may accidentally nibble your finger. The one slight downside was that it seemed to be hard to find a chair in the shade if you didn't get to the beach early. The same was true for the pool areas. We didn't really run into this problem at Dreams Cancun. The beach there is also protected, but I think it's slightly bigger. The water there is a prettier color, but there's no reef for snorkeling.

Snorkeling:
As mentioned above, the snorkeling on the beach is pretty cool, especially for kids. In addition, there is a small protected pond of sorts on the far side of the resort, past Portifino and Patio restaurants. This is another great place for snorkeling as the water is extremely calm and there are a surprising number of fish here. Great for kids, and again, bring bread! The fish will love you. As compared to the snorkeling on sight at Dreams Cancun, this location is better.

Room:
The room was nice and very clean. The balcony has 2 chairs and a small table/ottoman, great for lounging and watching the goings on of the resort. The bathroom has a walk in shower and 2 sinks. This bathroom is better than Dreams Cancun because the shower there wasn't very big, so water would overflow from the shower. We didn't have this problem here at all. I will, however, warn you not to open your balcony door at night while there are lights on in the room. One time we did this and a roach flew in. Obviously that has nothing to do with the hotel itself as roaches live in warm, tropical climates, but just watch out for that. The tv was pretty good- we even had 2 channels of HBO, so that was cool. I think the tv service is better here than in Cancun. Additionally, there was a mini fridge that was refilled daily at no charge and included water, soda, and beer (same as Dreams Cancun).

Food/drinks:
The food is pretty good. Breakfast at the buffet was awesome. Also for breakfast, the Barefoot Grill just outside the buffet has smoothies and specialty waffles. We ate mostly at the Seaside Grill for lunch and dinner, which is located on the other side of the family pool, near the bar. The food here is really really good. The buffet was ok for dinner, but not the best. We also ate at Portifino for dinner twice. This restaurant requires long pants for men, but it's well worth the effort. Food here was great! There was also the Patio, which served Mexican food, Oceana on the adult side, and the Sushi place. We didn't eat at any of these restaurants, so I can't comment on the food quality. All I can say is that nothing really interested me on Oceana's menu, and the sushi menu was also pretty small. However, I am extremely cautious about my seafood as I can get sick from food pretty easily, so I wasn't willing to take any chances. The Barefoot Grill serves hamburgers and the like for lunch, but I didn't eat lunch there either. We did room service several times because it's included and we can never get that in the States for free. The food on the room service menu was pretty good, and it usually arrives sooner than they tell you on the phone.

Drinks at the resort are awesome. Every day they have 2 specialty drinks: one alcoholic, and one virgin (for the kids). They make the best mojitos! They certainly don't stiff you on the amount of liquor they use, unlike some other resorts I've been to. Both food and drinks are pretty much the same at both Dreams, but the menus differ (ex: at Oceana in Cancun, they served lobster bisque, but not at the Oceana in PA). There are 2 outdoor bars here, versus only one at Dreams Cancun. Both locations include a bar with swings, which is really neat and different. Both locations also feature an indoor bar/club area called Desires. At Dreams PA, it was pretty small. It's bigger at Dreams Cancun. Also, Dreams Cancun has a lobby bar which we went to a lot, while Dreams PA does not have one. We went to the outdoor bar near Seaside Grill for the most part at this location. Subtle differences, but worth noting.

Activities:
Activities, along with service, are the main reasons my boyfriend and I love Dreams so much. Every day there is a schedule of activities from roughly 9am until 10pm that's posted in the elevators and the activity board on the family side. I think you can also get a copy in the lobby. It's impossible to be bored at Dreams. The Entertainment Team does an outstanding job of making you feel welcome and getting you to participate in the events and contests throughout the day. They have activities such as snorkeling, scuba demos, kayaking, catamaran trips, cocktail lessons, Spanish lessons, learning to make guacamole, beach/pool volleyball, ping pong tournaments, Zumba, etc. They have something for everyone. They also have a cart of books set up so you can borrow a book while laying on the beach or at the pool. There's a kids club that does its own activities with the kids. Additionally, they have an alternate rainy day schedule of activities, so you're never left without something to do. If activities aren't your thing, though, it's easy to get away from them by being at the beach or on the adult side. The activities are the same as Dreams Cancun.

I highly recommend scuba diving here if you are a beginner. It was my first time diving and I'm a bit scared of the ocean (I've almost drowned twice at home in Jersey). Pro Dive, located at the Dreams behind Seaside Grill, is a great place. They offer tons of snorkeling/scuba excursions, and Brian is a great instructor for beginners. Please see my review for Pro Dive Mexico for details.

Location:
Dreams PA is located in a small village of sorts that includes several different resorts, some condos, a few restaurants, a dolphin exhibit, a marina, and a couple of small shops. The entire area is what is referred to as Puerto Aventuras. Although you can walk around the area, my boyfriend and I were a bit worried doing so. More than likely, it's entirely safe, but there aren't a ton of people in the village off the resort, which seemed a little more worrisome than the crowds that line the street in Cancun. We were told that Playa del Carmen has great shopping, but it's about 30 min north of PA, and taking a cab in Mexico is not something either of us really wants to do after some of the stories I've heard. Needless to say, we didn't leave the resort much unless we were on an excursion. This facet of the hotel is where the Dreams Cancun wins, in my opinion. In Cancun, the resort is well within an easy walking distance to a lot of shopping, and it's safe. This was not the case at Dreams PA. However, the hotel itself is very safe, and we talked to other people who got a massage for $30 each in the village. As I said, the village is probably fine, but we are cautious.

Other:
About twice a week, local vendors come to the resort to sell their wares. Since this was my third time to Mexico, I wasn't interested in a lot of the stuff since I already have souvenirs. Just be careful and make sure you haggle your price. I looked at one bracelet that matched a necklace I made, and the vendor wanted 500 pesos (roughly $40-$45 USD), saying that it was made from real coral, turquoise, and silver. This was a complete lie as I have nearly identical beads at home, so again, just know what you're buying. Some of the craftsmen are very talented, though, and it's interesting to watch them work. This also happened at Dreams Cancun.

The bugs also seemed to be a bit worse here than in Cancun, and it might be because Cancun is located between the Caribbean and a big bay of sorts, while Dreams PA is located right on the mainland and thus has a more tropical/humid air. I mentioned the roach earlier, and the mosquitoes leave big bumps that itch a lot. However, it's not like we were swarmed with bugs. It wasn't even bad enough to use bug spray (which we brought just in case), but it was a bit annoying. If you attract bugs, as I tend to, I'd bring bug spray in case you need it.

Well I know this was a ridiculously long review, but I hope it helped. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Room Tip: Rooms with a marina view face the adult side of the resort, which is much quieter. The rooms facing...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
33  Thank Gayle929
Write a ReviewReviews (4,921)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

first family getaway with the baby and it was a huge success!! the staff was more than accommodating to all of us, including our 1 year old. Food is fantastic, rooms are beautiful!! lots to do and see. The entertainment crew is awesome, especially for the "Excellente twins" Micheal and Victor. We could not get our eight year old son out of the kids club...AMAZING!!! Ceidi and Crystal were a lot of fun. All the Explorer Club staff was very warm and welcoming.
Most of all, Jennifer was the best!! She was there at the drop of a hat to answer any questions we had and provide us with ANYTHING we needed. Dreams Puerto Aventuras surpassed all of our expectations in every way, we'll be heading back for sure!!
Thank you for making our first family getaway such a breeze :) see you soon DREPA!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank happyfamily53
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Our family absolutely LOVED this resort. The staff was wonderful and there was so much to do. My 2 girls loved the kids club. The ladies (Ceidi, Sarai, Miriam, and Gaby) were great and so sweet. There is so much for the kids to do and they had so much fun. Our room and view were fantastic. We tried all of the restaurants and all of the food was fantastic. We made some great friends at the resort and really enjoyed spending time with them as well. Fabian was great waiting on us at the beach - drinks never stopped coming (even before we would ask) Millan is one of the lifeguards and is a lot of fun and very informative. We all agreed this was our best vacation ever and can't wait to return.

The entertainment staff was great too. Always something to do and they were very friendly. We went to the shows each night we were there and they were great. Even my husband ended up on stage and actually got into the fun (he is not one to get up in front of people)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cheryl S
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Eight adults for a celebration getaway... We laughed, we ate, we danced, we laughed some more. Our trip to Dreams Puerto Aventuras in February 2012 for 11 days was all that we could have asked for. 4 separate styles of room, each couple happy with beds (very comfy) cleanliness and services provided.
A unanimous round of thanks to the morning staff at The World Cafe, especially our greeter/seater who always had a smile for us and a luscious early morning cappuccino on the beach!
El Patio for breakfast and/or lunch was a favourite and they were always happy to accommodate our group.
Oceana was great for dinner, as well as the fresh pasta at Portofino. Too much food!
Best Day tours worked hard to make sure our excursion experience was great. Mario and Regalio made sure of that, resolving a small difficulty with transportation on our tour to Chichen Itza.
The cenotes we saw were truly a highlight of the trip! We took the Best Day tour to one underground and one open cenote. The tour was well timed to avoid too many people there at the same time. Our group was the only one in the underground cenote at one point. Amazing formations. We even had the promotional photos taken and surprisingly they were great! Some of our best memories... Very reasonable price also! It was a cool and refreshing trip and each of us would highly recommend it. Also in close proximity to the resort, so not a long time spent in the van. We had the best grilled chicken ever!
The beach area at the resort is sheltered from the huge waves rolling in and is lovely sand until about waist deep. The coral and rocks are just past that and entertaining for snorkelling righ off the beach. Other beaches I have been to on Riviera Maya needed water shoes because of rocks/coral.One thing to note was seaweed would cover the beach every morning but was diligently cleaned away each morning also. We could always find shelter from the sun, either under a palapa or beneath the large palm trees along the beach.
For us it really was a "dream" trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PiperPiper
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed at this beautiful resort 2 weeks ago. The resort is clean and maintained very well. The location is safe and quite - has a beautiful beach, two beautiful pools, the largest spa/pool I have ever seen! The food was a little disappointing - I am not a fish eater and there weren't many options for non-seafood. If you like fish you will love the food! The best meal of the day was breakfast where they would make fresh waffles with whatever you wanted inside it or on top of it - I had fresh strawberries and bananas inside of mine and didn't even need syrup.
The rooms were huge and we had a great view from our balcony. We were supposed to have turndown service everynight and we only had it twice the entire week. We had to call the desk several times during the week to get our mini-bar replenished. The drinks at the bars were very good and included premium liquor in the all-inclusive. Our favorite bar was out on the rocky cove area where the bar stools were large swings! It is also a short walk to the marina where you can watch dolphins, manatees and stingrays in the water.
If you are a Spa/Massage type person like me you will love their facility. I got the Chocolate Body Wrap and it was to die for! Prices are pretty reasonable on most treatments.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the family pool and beach and our cousins room overlooked the adult pool and the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
0.2 km away
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!