“This is how it should be done!”

The Punch Bowl Inn & Restaurant
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Wonderful staff and welcome. Lovely menu with superb food and ale. Cosy, well thought out, clean, interesting. Literally couldnt fault it. Cheese souffle was sublime. The choc mousse pudding was one of the best I've ever had.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Went here for dinner and enjoyed every minute of it. The bread given to us at the start was wonderfully fresh and tasty with lovely rich butter. I had the cheese soufflé for starter which was wonderful – never had anything taste like that before. The Cumbrian steak I had for main course was perfectly cooked and full of flavour – just how I like it. We had extra vegetables on the side which just added to the experience as they were all perfectly cooked. Finished with the cheese board and a glass of port – great combination.
Staff were excellent and happy throughout but without hovering – so very good service. Reasonable price for an excellent meal.
It’s very popular so book in advance to make sure you can get in.

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch with my wife after finding this place on TA . It is just wonderful . Very nice food and attentive staff . I would recommend this place . The raspberry soufflé is to die for . Thank you for a lovely meal.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Having found the Punch Bowl in Good Pub Guide (we never, ever visit a pub not in GPG), we decided to stay for a couple of nights for a treat to ourselves. Arrived bit too late to benefit from complimentary cream tea, but given voucher to use following day. Hebblewhite room was bit cheaper as last minute availability, lovely to have larger luxurious room, tastefully furnished, charming, spacious, rolltop bath. Food gastropub, maybe even Michelin star; Iberico ham shared to start, really tasty, and enough as a starter between us (tv chefs rave about Iberico ham, and with good reason!). I had cod loin, with Monteau sausage and Morecambe bay shriimps, and it was really wonderful. Martin had special, hake, which he also enjoyed. Found enough space to have cheese to finish, and v good wine selection. Food and wine not cheap, but I'd rather pay more for this quality of food and really enjoy it.
Breakfast was really good; lovely fresh berries, Losely yoghurt, freshly squeezed juice, Earl Grey tea with loose leaves and my cooked food was smoked salmon on English muffin with hollandaise; loads of salmon, very tasty. It looked a bit small on the large plate, but I struggled to finish it!! Martin's cooked Cumbrian was very good also, tasty sausage, black pudding and good crispy bacon. Well impressed. Service very good from everyone, reception on arrival, waiting staff evening and morning and nothing too much trouble for them. Car necessary, as pub is out of the way, but that's the charm of the place. Am already planning the next visit. This bit of luxury should last me for a while!

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Drive for miles to come here due to the good reviews and had booked table for two 4 weeks in advance.... turn up at 7pm when almost empty and we were taken by waiter to sit in a small room at the back of the restaurant next to a large, noisy group of 6. Had to leave straight after our mains as the room was too enclosed and loud. Walked past lots of empty tables on way out that we could have sat at so why did they stick us out the back next to a large noisy group and not warn us or ask if we'd prefer to sit somewhere else?? Very poor service and food extremely overpriced and average. Pub is very out of the way from anywhere and not in nice surroundings (in a dip down from road with no views). Atmosphere inside is more of a boring restaurant than a pub- very stuffy and bland. Massive selection of wines if that is your thing but very little choice with beers. Not impressed at all and would not recommend.