Hotel Mocambo
US$49
HotelIndigo.com
Camino Real Veracruz(Boca del Rio)
US$85
HIExpress.com
  • Pool
US$40
Hotels.com
Hotel Costa Inn(Boca del Rio)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$60
TripAdvisor
Castelo Hotel(Boca del Rio)
US$50
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold colonial styledifferent levelsspacolumnsjacuzzielevatorveracruzmexico
Reviewed 26 February 2016

This hotel that had its heyday in the 1930's was a bit rundown and needs refurbishing and be brought up to the 21st century but it hasn't lost its charm. If they have to refurbish, I hope they could maintain the old world ambiance. The architecture is reminiscent of the opulence and extravagance of the early 20th century and they have managed to maintain it although the cracks and age are showing now. They have kept it clean and spotless but the rooms are very basic and need to be brought up to standard. But the price was very reasonable and because it was not during the peak season, it was very quite and peaceful. The food in the restaurant was better than we expected. The view from the top level was spectacular during sunrise and sunset, overlooking the gulf. Try to get a room in the 500 level.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2016

From the time of the Golden Era of movies in the 30s...an integral part of the history of Veracruz/Boca del Rio and, for us, a step back in time (just like the Hotel Nacional in Havana). Sometimes I just stop in to have a coffee, see the sea from above (and drop in on the Villa Rica seafood restaurant down the side street). Rooms are spacious, some even with stained glass, comfortable beds, sea breeze. Multi-level terraces going down to the colonnade outdoor pool and beach. Charming indoor pools with flower-tipped columns, surrounding balconies, with a jacuzzi (not particularly warm) with bubbles so strong you don't need and extra massage. A pleasure sit there in another era. Pleasant wood-paneled dining room (breakfast included with our room). Must all be something to experience during the Carnaval in February. Pleasant staff. Internet in our room. Rooms with king-size beds are extra and close to the outdoor pool, but ours had 2 queen-size ones. Few amenities in rooms (so bring a hairdryer, etc). You just have to experience this corner of Veracruz when here.

Room Tip: Rooms on all levels of the terrace
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2015

Built in the 1930's this Hotel has been exceptionally maintained and provides those that have an eye for architectural extravagance a nostalgic view of the past.
This hotel is basic in room services, it does not have hair dryers, the bathrooms are a little dated but in general we found the place clean and comfortable.
We stayed nearly a week and fell in love with the grounds, the generous breeze ways, the opulent style and just sheer spaciousness.
A well kept secret this hotel belongs in those few Iconic Hotels that you too can be fortunate enough to enjoy and trip down memory lane with a drink on the balcony, a float down the water slide or just meander along the beach front and pay $1 for a few cheap and cheerful tunes from one of the local musicians.
From all across the world we have enjoyed Hotels like this and witnessed through the years as they are demolished in the name of progress or refurbished and extravagantly priced, yep a blast from the past.

Room Tip: Room with a view section 401 to 410 or 501 to 510 .
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2015 via mobile

I traveled with 50 students from Universidad Anahuac for a conference we stayed there 4 nights.

The hotel is huge it has a big swiming pool and 2 restaurants.

The service is slow and they don't have many people to attend rapidly (maybe need of training).

The food is 7/10, breakfast 8/10. Reception 8/10. Rooms 9/8/10.

Recommended for low budgets

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2015

The hotel has its historic charm and lovely ocean views. The beds are comfortable. A couple of things related to service made this hotel resulted in a low "average" rating.

1) Upon checking in I was given tickets for breakfast. To access the buffet breakfast (which was varied and decently good), one needs to present one ticket per person to the waiter. Well, I lost my tickets somewhere in my luggage or in the room and couldn't find them, so I went to ask for replacement tickets, explaining that there was no way someone else could have gotten a hold of them and claimed the breakfast in my place. No dice - I was refused new tickets or the breakfast that was supposed to be included in the price I paid for the room.

I recognize it was my fault that I lost the tickets, but the receptionist's attitude and disinterest, coupled with the fact I was denied one of the things I paid for really rubbed me the wrong way. Either be willing to replace tickets, or come up with a better system, such as having people come get their tickets from reception on the way to breakfast, instead of insisting on giving them upon check in (which inevitably will lead to people losing them).

2) No hairdryers in the room. A small inconvenience, but it caused me to be late to an appointment because I had to call reception for a hairdryer to be delivered to the room. It came within 10 minutes, but I had to wait around and then scramble for tip money for the person who brought it to me. Before handing over the hair dryer, the young man insisted on knowing exactly how long I would be using it so he could come pick it up. Not in a friendly way, but in a suspicious sort of way. I said "I don't know, maybe 15 minutes?" and he looked at his watch and said, "OK, I'll be here to get the hairdryer at 2:52pm." I was like, Jesus Christ.

I would have given this place a much higher rating if the service was charming like the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family