“Royal Club = Treated Like Royalty”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Spent January 28th - February 4th at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta. Beautiful space, excellent service, incredible time. We (my beloved husband and I...we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary while there) stayed in a suite on the Royal Club level (6th floor) and had an amazing time. I would highly encourage you to upgrade to this level if you can. We are members of the Occidental Vacation Club, so the upgrade fee was minimal for us, not sure what the cost difference is for others. Here are some highlights from our experience:

Room--We had a one-bedroom suite, with a HUGE deck and ocean view. Most of the rooms do not have any balconies, so we know that we were lucky in this regard. The bedroom was very large, the bathroom top notch (shower with multiple settings and a rainshower option, seperate bath, both with windows to the beach), great closet space, flat screen tv, clock radio with iPod dock, and an incredibly hard bed. That bed was one of our few negatives. We also had a dining area, wet bar with a refrigerator that was well stocked (and restocked every day....not sure if that is typical, due to our ownership status, or Royal Club norm), an a living area with another flat screen and couch, loveseat, and 2 chairs. The decor was contemporary....clean lines that I love. The deck was incredible, with a great sunset view from the 2 person jacuzzi. (The jacuzzi itself did not have the best design...not enough jets in my opinion, but it was brand new and the view was so lovely, I still would give it an A++)

Royal Club--Staying on this level gave us access to what is arguably the best restaruant on site, and preferred reservation status on nights we wanted to eat at one of the specialty restaurants. (We would let Gabriella or one of the other consierges what time we wanted to eat, and they would say "of course" you can have a reservation for that time.) Breakfast at the Royal Club restaurant was awesome...a small buffet that had fres stawberries, blueberries, and raspberries daily. An a la carte menu that incluede french toast that was AWESOME. Lunch and dinner were also great, and the service incredible. (If anyone from Occidental reads this, please consider giving Daniel and Andres an bonus...they made our trip special and are the main reason we are planning to returen, instead of exploring a new place.) Housekeeping was great. Our room was kept spotles and the fridge restocked daily. (We do tip daily so that may of helped, but I believe this would have been the case anyway.)

Beach--Great beach, soft sand, and plentiful lounge chairs for all. Royal Club status also gave us access to beach beds. Comfortable and nice.

Pool--We did not spend much time there. The Fun Club staff were on duty all day, and facilitated activities all day long. Those who enjoy the loud music and like to participate in group activites spent all day there happily. There was another pool just a few feet away, but the sound easily traveled into this area, which also seemed to have a larger number of young children. I would have appreciated a "quiet pool" or swim-up bar...some sort of adults-only area where we could socialize without being listening to Fun Club staff do an aerobics routine. I only went into the pool to cool off before returning to the beach.

Restaurants--The buffet had a good variety, what you would expect at a good all-inclusive. We ate at the Italian specialty restaurant twice...the first time was a big fail ( our watier SUCKED, one of his co-workers tried to pick up the slack) and the second visit was great. It just illustrates how important customer service really is.

Local Area--There is a small mall almost directly across from the resort, an easy 2-minute walk. Almost constant roaming of vendors down the beach selling things that are "almost free". We bought from a guy who was polite and not pushy, and refused to buy from a guy with an offensive t-shirt. If you don't want to buy, say "no gracias" firmly, anything less wil encourage them to keep asking. A day trip into Vallerta was really fun. I think the taxi ride was a little under 20 bucks each way. There is a large number of cool outdoor sculptures to look at, many stores in which to brows, and a varitey of places to eat. Well worth it.

The space was lovely. The entire area felt safe. I plan on returning with a group of my girlfriends in a few months.

Room Tip: Room 611 is a one bedroom suite with a HUGE balcony. It also has a door into an adjacent room, so i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamaica020202

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I was about to write a review but after reading funinthesun60 below.....I couldn't have said it better.....we loved it and this is the first place we stayed at that we thought of returning to. LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms have a little patio.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank HC-Homies
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We have a condo across the street at Marina Residence and the day pass ($55USD/person) includes all you can eat/drink (from 10-6pm)... the food is buffet style but pretty good... staff was a bit slow, but once you flag someone down they are quite helpful.

The drinks are typically weak... however a few dollar tips and they change drastically in strength!

There weren't many people at the resort (it did just re-open in December 2011). We've made friends with several guests at the hotel and they seemed to be quite pleased with their stay. We did hear a few complaints regarding the lack of "night time entertainment" which, if you are a visitor, will cost you additional $65/person (from what everyone says definitely not worth $65 if you want to visit).

When I was there 3 years ago, they offered parasailing (35/person) and I was hoping they would have it again this year... but it wasn't there.

I'm not sure if it was just the time we got there (around January 17th), but there really didn't seem to be a lot of people around (at any hotel really). The beach was VERY clean and well taken care of. Plenty of beach chairs available!

If you want to have a great and relaxing time at the beach, I definitely recommend the day pass!

Room Tip: tip the bartenders!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Oskar L
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Here is a list of what makes this hotel top notch:
1. The rooms are newly decorated, no bugs, beds are comfortable, bathrooms are gorgeous and they even have scales to weigh yourself if you feel the need.
2. Food was delicious, we only ate at the buffet as we decided the variety and service were excellant what more could you ask for. The white wine that was served from Brazil was light and good. The Mexican coffe was very good. Manuel our waiter looked after us in the evening and would prepare our speciality drinks. Whoever we had serving us was top notch service.
3. Drinks were made with all top brand names, and the bartenders would go out of their way to make sure you enjoyed what you were drinking.
4. Service was always with a smile whether you tipped or not. No language barrier with the bartenters or waiters or waitresses. Maids had a bit of a problem but that is understandable as they are not dealing with the public continuiously but they would help if they can. I actually went to get an extra towel and the maid had the shower door stall out cleaning it. That is how clean our rooms are; A plus for the rooms.
5. This resort I would recommend for food, service, drinks, and cleanliness.
5. Management was on site making sure everything was running smoothly, hope this continues as it makes a big impact. How often do you get the manager shaking your hand good bye as you leave. Also attend the managers party it was great and the specialty drink they served was amazing.
6. We went with Sunquest, I felt that they are their to help you with your bookings etc. This does not happen all the time as I have travelled with them before but here the service was excellent.
Now on the down side why I only gave it a 4 star has nothing to do with service, food, and the resort. It is the entertainment, I give it a 2, when you watch the shows in the evening it should follow with dancing something that gets everyone up and enjoying the evening. They need local bands to play like Mexican night and everyone dances. The disco does not start till eleven so there is an hour lapse by that time everyone is ready for bed. I would like to mention that during the day time at the pool they play great music not too loud and it is good music oldies, rock etc.
I noticed someone mentioned sewer smell apparently the room beside us did not have the smell but we did on and off I told sunquest and we were moved, no smell in our new room they went out of their way to accomate us, apparently a pipe had broken next door and I could smell it when I went off and on at the street.
If you go say Hi to Roberto as he is an awsome bartender in the lobby, if you order a banna drink it is made with real bannas not often do you get fresh fruit.
Did I miss the balcony, not really I was happy that my bed was comfortable, sheets were clean and if I needed water I went down to the lobby and they got it.

Trip date Jan.27 to Feb 3, 2012.

Room Tip: We had room 206 great room, ocean and pool view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank funinthesun60
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Our two week holiday (Jan 22-Feb 5 2012) at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta was excellent. The resort is very clean, very safe, well organized. The location of the resort was very clean, and friendly as well. Right across the street is a beautiful hospital, small shopping mall, walk in medical clinic. All spoke and understood English very well. Just outside the resort is a bus stop, taxies if you need.
The staff (ALL staff) at the resort were very friendly, hard working, always made everyone welcome. The food was always fresh, presented well. The waiters, bar tenders, kitchen staff were always very friendly, very helpful, always smiling and very clean and well presented. The fun club members, excellent, excellent, excellent, fun, fun, fun. Very friendly made everyone feel welcome. They always welcome suggestions and "act on them", bravo. The shows were very good. Housekeeping staff, excellent always there when you needed something.
We will gladly visit this resort again and again. Thank you to all at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple