“It was by no occident we had a great time!”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed at the Occidental from March 9-16/12 and loved all they had to offer! It's a smaller hotel with the feel of a top-notch resort. We've stayed at 5 star Mayan Riviera resorts that overshadowed this one in size but we appreciated the smaller scale with all its amenities. Food was great and didn't seem too repetitive and you could always find a spot to sit around the pool or under the palapas on the beach. Great beach with perfect sand for long walks. Hotel servers Eric and Lupe took care of us graciously at the buffet and paid great detail to servicing our every culinary and beverage needs. Definitely would go back and recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Maybe get a room not facing the ocean as the music can annoy you if you go to bed early. Usually by...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CanadianCabot
Write a ReviewReviews (3,391)

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Amazing hotel, food, weather. A great family place. Thanks to all the staff (and fun club staff) at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, the Martinez family had an amazing time with you all! We definitely hope to be back sooner than later.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AAJBM
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Just returned from a great one week holiday at this fabulous resort.Here are some tips for you first timers.When you arrive at pv airport and pick up your luggage you will have to walk about 50 yards to get outside the terminal.There will be many people trying to get your attention,if you booked with sunquest(most canadians)look for their rep in a red shirt and black pants,they will have you on a air conditioned bus in minutes.Once at the hotel make sure to go to see your sunquest rep luis.He has lots of info about the hotel to make your trip more enjoyable.We booked 2 tours thru him that were first class.The hotel has there own money exchange just like a bank with better rates for us or canadian $.When you get to the room make sure you have hot water.The showers take awhile to warm up so just turn it on 5 min before your shower.The food is very good at the buffet,my compliments to the bakery staff.The buns and pastries are top notch.Try the little cinnamon buns,hard to eat just one.If you like coffee just order a half glass of baileys on the side and it will taste fine.The lobby bar opens around 4pm and they put out nice finger food,chicken wings,shrimps,salsa and chips but they go quickly once people figure it out.On the beach remember to barter with the locals for their merchandise.I try to pay half of his first price,sometimes a little more,they seem to like it as much as i do.The photo stand near the buffet will take pictures and you get one free photo(yes,i said free)with no purchace unless you want more.Please remember to tip once in awhile because the staff work so hard with long hours.They are some of the nicest people i have met in my travels.I hope you have a safe and happy holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank jimmythebull
Reviewed 16 March 2012

1st time at this resort. Enjoyed it very much. Beach area lovely but water cold, dark. No white sand. so rarely spent time at beach. Always at pool. Food was great. At times served a little cold, but otherwise for the amount of people they are cooking for no complaints. Fun Club did everything to get people going. Very upbeat group even though at times people didn't participate. Room was always clean. No private pool for members. RC beach area far from First Club. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Menlea
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I am a member of Occidental Allegro now for 10 years. I joined in the Dominican Republic and was given a weeks free upgrade to First Club as a gift of my ten years of Platinum membership. I think it was also as an incentive to upgrade!
The resort is lovely and the staff for the most part very accomodating with a great fun club that had many people involved in the water aerobics, aerobics, volleyball etc. I even had a lesson in kayaking. I did enjoy two of the shows they put on that in the evening: Mama Mia and a traditional dance show.
I came this week alone as my friends were unable to get off from work or could not afford to go this trip. I was able to change my room the second day due to noise and noxious smells from the lobby restoration. The First Club Manager Israel was not friendly and did not even reply when I thanked him for moving me!
The rest of the week was uneventful except for the disturbing loud noises at 2:30 AM one night, and between 2-4 AM other nights. One night we were awakened at by a man screaming "fire, fire, fire" and you could smell smoke. I finally opened my door when I heard more voices and a security guard was there. The smoke was from an incinerator buring trash at night and had filled our hallway but we did not need to evacuate. The other loud noises sounded like someone banging on a dumpster, and another night by someone knocking loudly on doors but blocking the peephole as my neighbor told me!! In the morning the stairs were littered with broken lights that illuminated the stairs as the place had been vandalized. Not very restful sleep but I was able to get back to sleep each time.
My main complaint was that the last day I tried to gift a bottle of tequila to an employee. I was publically informed on the beach by the First Club Manager Israel (and another woman who stood by and observed from the head office) that I had broken the rules and guests were not to give employees gifts without a written letter and that alcohol could not be given. The Tequila was confiscated by security and was not returned until I insisted the next day! The manager then proceded to tell me that I could give gifts but it had to be off property. So the night before I left I did so.
Again I was reprimanded by ISRAEL as I was checking out!! I found out that these gifts were all confiscated by security!! I also found out from other people at the resort that I was being spied on, observed and labeled as someone to keep an eye on! All of the employees had been warned about me! I was treated like a criminal!!!
I will NEVER return to this resort!!!!! I cannot believe the treatment I received. Be very careful if you are a single young woman going to this resort. I am sure that you are being watched.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Debbie N
Lesly R, Lesly Romero, Quality & Control Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Dnic,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, and I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced. I will be reaching out to directly through Trip Advisor to discuss your feedback in more detail.

Please know that we always put our guests first and our goal is to provide the highest level of comfort to our guests. Are staff undergoes rigorous training and they usually receive extremely positive feedback from guests. I will speak with Israel immediately about your comments. I’m also reaching out to you directly through Trip Advisor to discuss everything you mentioned in more detail.

Again, I’m sorry to hear about you negative experience with us.