I will list the pros and cons of this hotel, so you can decide for yourself.
Personally, I would only go back if they gave some amazing deal. We paid about $2000 for the two of us (flight included), and I don't think it was worth anything over $1400. There were a lot of Canadians during our stay who had gotten a $1200 deal (flight included), and that is worth it. This place is definitely a 3-star.
Cons (which to me outweighed the pros)
1) The main issue I had with this hotel was the poolside noise. Everyday from noon-4pm the workers at the pool would get on the loud speaker and try to recruit people for their activities, which is not a big deal - except when they get 4 or 5 people to do an activity, they would lead that activity OVER THE LOUDSPEAKER. So for 5 hours all you hear is the voice of the worker yelling and counting and singing (and when i say loud, i mean extremely loud). It is really ridiculous and makes this resort seem like a 2 star. Most people just want to lounge and relax, and instead you have the blaring voice of the workers on the loudspeaker all afternoon. For this reason alone, I wouldn't come back.
2) There is no room service - which may not be a big deal, but we expected room-service, and it's annoying when you want a late night snack or if you want to lounge in your room, and you can't have any food.
3) Anything nice that this resort actually offers, they mark off for "members only" - room service, a nice pool, a nice lounge area by the beach - all of this you can see but can't have. This was annoying, when you pay to go to a resort, you shouldn't have to pay another $700 just to use their second pool or to get room service. Seems cheap if you ask me.
4) No balconies. This isn't a big deal, except when you go somewhere warm on the ocean for your vacation, it would be nice to enjoy the weather from your room. The lack of balconies makes the rooms feel a bit stuffy.
5) Strange Smells - halfway through our trip, we began smelling a sewage smell from our AC vent, and they had to move us to another room until they fixed it. We heard from other guests that this happens often.
6) The two restaurants they say they have you can only go to if you stay a certain number of nights. If you stay 3 nights you can go to one of them once, if you stay 6 nights you can go once to each. Makes sense, but they don't make that clear before you go.
1) The food was decent for a resort, the buffet and snack area had really great food. No vegetarian options, so if you don't eat meat, don't go here. Also if you have high food standards - don't go here.
2) Great service - the servers were really friendly and nice.
3) Clean and nice. Newly renovated - however the showers heads already seemed about 10 years old!
4) Good location, nice beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel