Firstly, a big thanks to Jesus (General Manager) and his outstanding staff members, too many to name, for the wonderful service and accommodation during our two-week stay from March 31 to April 14th, 2012. This was our fifth visit to the Occidental Grand (formerly Occidental Allegro) and our 30th vacation in Mexico and would rate this hotel, service, staff, and overall vacation experience amongst the best we have experienced.
The improvements to the hotel are impressive and although originally opened in 1992 it feels like a new facility. The addition of the lobby bar is a huge improvement and provides a classy gathering place for evening drinks and relaxation. The updated décor of the rooms is very tasteful and projects a holiday atmosphere. The gym has been doubled in size and includes Nautilus cable weights, two ellipticals, two treadmills, one bike, two benches and free-weights.
We chose not to make coffee in our room first thing in the morning so went to the buffet where fresh coffee was available to take back to the room beginning at around 6:30. The food quality and meals overall were topnotch and the variety more than met our interest and tastes. Our experience was that there was something for everyone at each meal and never a shortage.
The exchange rate was very good at the hotel desk but you will require your passport each time you want to change money even if it is cash. Apparently this is a new Mexican law. Of note, the only location that we could find a better exchange rate for Canadian dollars was the currency exchange in Wal-Mart.
For those of you who want to stay connected, you should note that the cost of connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi or using their PC’s is $10 USD per 24 hour period. An alternative to this is going to the Starbucks at the mall across the street and buying a coffee and they give you free access to their Wi-Fi.
Like many others have mentioned, the service offered by staff at all levels in this resort is outstanding and goes a long way toward ensuring repeat business. We will look forward to our next visit there in the near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Barcelo, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel