“Best spaghetti bolognese ever!”
Review of The Tickled Trout

The Tickled Trout
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Barlow
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: "Derbyshire Pride. Italian Inspiration." Proud of Derbyshire and inspired by Italy, that sums us up really. We use the finest locally sourced ingredients to create delicious food that has an Italian twist. Visitors to the Tickled Trout in Barlow are guaranteed a warm welcome, relaxed surroundings and a great choice of top-notch food. It is advisable to book a table either by our on-line reservation system on our website or the traditional way by phone! Also like us on Facebook for regular updates....
Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

Great menu using quality local produce. Awesome spaghetti bolognese. Highly recommended, but a good idea to book. Reasonable prices.

Chris M, Owner at The Tickled Trout, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Delighted you thought our spaghetti Bolognese was awesome - it has been developed from a very traditional recipe.
Thank you for taking time to write the review, we do appreciate it. I hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

The service from the staff who seem to be of all the same age group and make the place feel new/fresh and modern was absolute outstanding. Able to have a laugh whilst still maintaining a professional manor and getting there job done expertly well. They look like like they enjoy working there which makes the people visiting feel comfortable being there. The food has always been fantastic.

Many thanks for writing your review. I very much appreciate it especially the kind words about my team. Many of the staff have been with me since we opened and really do work incredibly hard to ensure our guests are looked after well.
I hope we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed 4 November 2016

This was the second time within the last 2 months ,being a bit of a foodie myself its clear that what sets it apart from other restaurants are the expertly prepared fresh local ingredients , producing a selections of starters and main which fit a wide range of tastes , all backed up with great service.
So rather than go to one of those places with a long menu and dependent on "Chefs " having an extensive knowledge of the use of microwave .
Give it a try before Xmas

Many thanks for writing such a great review for us and for your kind words. We really do pride ourselves in the quality of the food we produce and it is great when it is appreciated, and yes your are right there certainly even isn't a microwave in the Tickled Trout!
I hope we can welcome you back, we have worked hard on our Christmas menu!

Reviewed 2 November 2016

I had the catch of the day pasta with Hake in a mussel broth which was a nice idea but sadly for me the sauce needed a greater depth of flavour. My colleagues broth had the spicy chicken pasta with red pesto and sweet chilli. That was rich and tasty and an inspired pasta dish. Good selection of local beers and we were able to sit beside the beautiful log fire on a cold day.

Chris M, Owner at The Tickled Trout, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2016

I am pleased you enjoyed dining with us in the lounge. The red pesto chicken pasta is a favourite of ours and has a slight kick to the dish for those who love flavour. The day boat fish is indeed subtle to ensure that the beautiful day boat fish (which arrives freshly caught from Cornwall on the same day) is not over powered. Although subtle the broth is not lacking in complexity and is made from fresh mussels, macaroni, garlic, lemon and watercress purée.
We do have other dishes where there is a more obvious depth to flavour such as the chicken burger and we do a wonderful spicy meatball dish as a special so I do hope we can welcome you back and help with menu choices to ensure you enjoy your meal.
Kind regards

Reviewed 30 October 2016

Clean lines and a welcoming wood burning stove, but not cosy. Open bar area some well kept real ales. Attentive staff. Sea bass special was very good. However one of our party had a spiced lamb meatball dish with pasta and the sauce drowned out all tastes. We told the staff and they advised us that the chef agreed it was too hot, we were not charged for that. The other preference I have is for a clean olive taste with balsamic and the spices served with it were just not needed and spoiled the bread and oils served.
Would I go out of my way, not sure,?

2  Thank Richard H
Chris M, Owner at The Tickled Trout, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

What a bizarre reason to give us a poor review. The olives, bread, balsamic and beautiful clean and tasty olive oil can be of course enjoyed on its own. You could have ordered exactly this but you chose to add Dukka. The dukka which is homemade is in a small pot for you to have if you want to. It adds a wonderful taste when after dipping in oil you dip the bread in the dukka. It is hugely popular and appreciated as a bit extra and something different. The meat ball dish is also full of flavour and is spicy (as described). We discounted it off the meal simply because you didn't enjoy it because customer service is important to us. The chefs in the kitchen that evening didn't agree it was too spicy or 'drowned out tastes' - I even tasted it myself and it was excatly as it should be, flavoursome with a slight spice.
It is disappointing that you therefore felt the need to write a poor review over the dukka which you didn't have to eat and a dish that whilst others have enjoyed simply wasn't to your taste (we even then prepared you another dish) We didn't need to take the dish off your bill, we did as we do pride ourselves on the high quality of the food which our customers enjoy and to provide good customer service. Its a shame when it's not appreciated.
The lounge and snug with the wing back chairs and roaring log fire has never been described as anything else but cosy!