“Great place for our family spring break”

Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here for a second time for Spring Break with our three kids to ski and snowboard. No, it's not kind of place I would stay if it were just myself and my husband, but with a bunch of teen and pre-teen boys, the loft with the kitchenette was perfect. We had to call often to get room service to our unit - we would come back after a day of skiing only to find the garbage still full and no clean towels. The pool and hot tub were okay after a day of skiing. We liked the fireplace, and the biggest draw was the size of the space for our family and all of our stuff. A good price for the week.

Room Tip: Cabin 115 is in the back and away from the rest. You see a lot of wildlife and don't get all th...
2  Thank hardern
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for choosing the Douglas Fir Resort as your hotel for your ski and snowboard vacation. I’m sorry that your room was not serviced as often as requested. Please know that this does not reflect our usual high standard of housekeeping and your comments have been passed on to managerial departments. I’m pleased to hear that our A-Frame Chalet accommodated your family comfortably and you found our hot tubs relaxing after a day on the slopes. I hope the Douglas Fir Resort can be your hotel of choice in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have two young kids and they just love the waterslide and playzone. For myself, I love the fireplace, the cracking and poping and the smell. The steam room is great while the kids are on the slide. I have used this place for years and it is time for some major renovation. The bed mattress we got this time is worn out and the room had a very musty odor. Although the rooms are supposed to be pet free, we noticed on more than one occasion that dogs are allowed. It is great if you have a pet, staff just look the other way, but the wear and tear and odor in the rooms is getting me to think about some place else for the next trip.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a pet free room, ask for a real pet free room because the place is suppose to be...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MendM

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We are continually improving the Douglas Fir Resort to maintain an exceptional standard of customer experience. We recently fitted gas fireplaces and installed new lighting in our One Bedroom Condos and replaced a number of our sofa beds as well as renovated our two giant indoor waterslides. We do have a strict pet policy in place but regrettably some guests don’t inform us that they have pets in their rooms. When made aware of this, we promptly address the issue. Please know that we charge a nightly pet fee to cover the additional cleaning we conduct after a pet visit. I would very much like you and your family to return to stay with us. If you have any concerns regarding pet rooms in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here for the first time with our two kids who are 1 and 3. We were in a one bedroom condo, which is located in one of the cabins surrounding the main hotel. It was a cosy, clean room with a good amount of space for us. The full kitchen was fantastic too as we generally try to avoid restaurants with our kids at the moment! There is even an on-site grocery store. We also had a balcony and much to my daughter's delight saw some deer outside both days that we were there.

We arrived early for check-in and were given a key to access the amenities and then they phoned me on my cell when the room was ready. We took the kids to the playzone while waiting where they both had a blast, then moved into our room and spent the rest of the afternoon at the waterpark. My only criticism of the waterpark was the complete lack of lifeguards or other supervision. As it turns out, when kids are left to their own devices they barrel down the waterslides right after each other which at one point resulted in my daughter being piled on by 2 other kids as she went down. No harm done but good to know that you need to be a bit more vigilant if you are going with younger kids (and I recommend taking advantage of the lifejackets provided).

Overall, we had a fantastic time and will definitely be staying here again when we come up with the kids!

2  Thank cdntraveller79
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We’re pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay at the Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets. Whilst we don’t have lifeguards on duty we do have two Waterpark Attendees monitoring correct usage of the waterslides at all times. I have passed on your comments to the appropriate departments to ensure this is not a concern in the future. I look forward to seeing you and your family again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed here on a quick overnight getaway with our teenaged children. The condo with loft was perfect, as kids had own beds and we had privacy. The only problem I had was with the intense smell of woodburning smoke which made me well aware of an allergy that I and my son both have discovered overnight. Thank goodness for cold and sinus meds. otherwise a great room and lovely location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Danielle D

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets. It’s fantastic to hear our One Bedroom Loft Condo was perfect for your needs and provided the much needed privacy you sought. We are taking steps to provide a more green experience for our guest as we are slowly introducing gas fireplaces in all of our rooms. We currently have a small number of rooms fitted with gas fireplaces fitted and we would be happy to accommodate you allergy requirements next time you stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at the resort at the end of March 2012 while we were on vacation skiing at Lake Louise. We stayed in a loft unit with two bedrooms (one loft, one main floor) with three queen sized beds in total (two in the loft). There were one and a half bathrooms which was very handy for five of us in the mornings heading out to ski and again in the afternoons returning. Our children 8 & 10 really enjoyed the water slides and play area and spent several evenings there.. Also to keep peace help keep peace in the family there were three flat screen TVs, one each in the loft, living room, and main floor bedroom. The price while not cheap was reasonable for the accommodations. The next time we come to Banff we'll be certain to stay at Douglas Fir.

2  Thank Wpg_Mike
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you for providing your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. Our One Bedroom Condo’s are perfect for larger families which provide the much needed additional space, extra bathroom and additional bedroom. We have a number of great promotions available throughout the year, be sure to stay connected via our e-newsletter as well as our Facebook and Twitter accounts to be the first to know about our best prices. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Douglas Fir Resort in the future.