“Dissapointingly average”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Not terrible but just not great. Service was attentive but not professional. Mains and wine were delicious. Soup, salad, rolls and desserts not good at all. We have been there for lunch and have always been satisfied but we would not recommend dinner - so many other excellent choices in downtown Calgary at that price point.

1  Thank JRB133

Reviewed 29 December 2011

The service was wonderful, we booked with OpenTable and they were highly integrated, and very accurate with their own bookings. Busy place at lunch but great service always. FOOD is so great.

1  Thank digitaltravels
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Not sure why so many bad reviews?? I've been here many times, and always loved the food and atmosphere. Saw the bad reviews and was worried. But, the food was excellent (Tuna Tabouli was phenomenal), wine list is still great and our service was friendly as usual. Great downtown location for a sophisticated dinner or cocktails at the bar. Weekends are not too busy either.

1  Thank ErinLG
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My fiancée and I were craving Oysters and after seeing there "Oyster Bar" sign earlier in the day we thought we'd give it a shot. Typically any restaurant fashioning itself as being, or having, an oyster bar has a selection of oysters on hand from various regions. This was not the case as they had only one choice. I'm not sure if this was because it happened to be "buck a shuck" day or if this is just their practice. Regardless of whether or not there is a special, in my opinion, you should have a choice of oysters and be able to decide whether you want the "special" oysters or pay more for a different choice.

Unfortunately, the oysters where not that great. They weren't terrible by any means but they had not been chilled on ice and were served over a bed of salt. This is not my personal taste.

Not being satisfied with the oysters we ordered a couple appetizers (lobster melt and charcuterie platter). These were both quite good and would be the only reason I would come back as the rest of the menu looked good and if they would be prepared as well as the appetizers I think the food has promise.

The wine selection was good and the service was pleasant, certainly better than has been described in previous posts.

I would give it a hesitant recommendation, just don't go for the oysters.

1  Thank Hopefullylost
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Luckily, we had dinner at the Parkerhouse before reading the Tripadvisor reviews, as we had a fine meal there with very good service. As to the latter, we've discovered that downtown Calgary is not a lively place in the evening - blame that on the absence of apartments and condos among the sky-rises - so the Parkerhouse was far from busy when we visited.

I was initially a little skeptical about our menu, as the eponymous dinner roll did not follow the traditional Boston recipe, but was instead made with (probably healthier) whole wheat flour. But what followed were a pair of very good meals. The 3-course dinner offer was very good value, and the rib-eye steak featured in it met the exacting Calgary beef standards.

The wine list was satisfactory and fairly priced, and our waiter provided helpful comments on some of the items. However, it would not have hurt to include a broader selection of Okanagan wines.

1  Thank eztraveller72