“An uneven experience”

Charcut Roast House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcut Roast House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 3,674 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue SW
Description: "Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.
Reviewed 3 October 2017

The food here was good - we had some prime rib, some chicken and an assortment of side/appetizer dishes - but the details of our experience were not as great. The restaurant is very loud, so not a great place for a quiet dinner. The server was generally polite but quite rushed and had a tendency to talk over anyone else, so not really welcoming. The plates for the hot food had not been warmed and while I realize the standard of service in North America is generally not the same as in Europe, it's disappointing when a highly-rated restaurant is not above the average in this area. We were offered the opportunity to store our bags when we entered the restaurant, which was great, but when we left we realized that they'd simply been put in an unattended cupboard next to the door where anyone could have walked off with them. So the whole experience was okay, but frankly I'd expect more.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Didn't stay for dinner. Very rude waiter from the get go. They sat us next to other couple despite 5 open tables. Half were dirty. Waited 15 minutes for waiter to come over the first time, then very rude and short with us. Not busy at all, couple next to us said he had been like that and they had been waiting a long time also. Decided to leave and went around the corner to Saltlik and had a great meal and service.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I was with my GF treating my son and a friend of his on our last evening in Calgary before coming back home to Montreal. I started by ordering the full board of charcuterie assortment. My GF who is Italian made me notice that the mortadella didn't look like it and she was right, what they advertise as Mortadella is at best on overly salty ham. There was also another cut of meat which none of us could identify that had the same texture as leather, inedible. Then my GF had ordered the charred octopus. They might as well have replaced it by a rubber octopus, because that was the texture. I guess they forgot to tenderize it by boiling it at first. I ordered the sausage burger with the poutine. Not only was the sausage very chewy, they had melted more than 1 inch of cheese on top of it which just made the matters worst. The poutine had no taste of truffle and the cheese that was melted in the poutine was anything but cheese curds. Cheese curds don't stretch for more than 4 feet when trying to get a bite. My son enjoyed the bison and I don't remember what his friend ordered, but I noticed that she left more than half the plate untouched. Their wine list is decent but way overpriced (3 times cost). All of that for $450.00 for 4 people. We should have gone across the street to Ruth Chris. I wouldn't recommend Charcut to anyone. It was a very bad experience.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

The potato soup and the beef sandwich were delicious. The fries were nice too. Our waitress was Raven and she was welcoming and friendly. We finished our lunch within half hour after ordering even though the restaurant was packed on a Monday. The chocolate chip cookies were soft and perfect. Hope to be back soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

On the recommendation of a friend, we had dinner on our one night in Calgary at Charcut, and ordered various tapas plates. The amount of food was over the top and the quality and flavors were unbelieveable. Great service from the waitstaff and really enjoyed the ambiance.