“Great flavours and always consistent”

Charcut Roast House
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcut Roast House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 3,674 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue SW
Description: "Top Chef" season 1 finalist, Connie DeSousa Co-Chef / Owner of this new restaurant located in Downtown Calgary. Featuring urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar. A contemporary and inviting gathering place, CHARCUT combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and Country French accents. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels. Open late night with a full menu.
Reviewed 18 October 2017

This is a meat lover's paradise but they have excellent fish, chicken and vegetable dishes on the menu. This last time I had two small plates (real comfort food)- Labneh citrus and olive oil, poached artichokes, marinated chilli and grilled sourdough with Skyhawk olive oil. The BC pinot noir by the glass on the menu was fabulous too.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

My husband and I made a reservation to eat here together for a Saturday night.The service was good and no complaints about our waiter he was excellent.

For a starter we had the northern white bean hummus, pickled eggplant, lemon olive oil. We orderd the foccaccia bread (which was excellent!) to go with it. I found this dish very salty, the pickled eggplant was okay but very strong so I could only eat a few pieces, we ended up wasting half the dish.

For dinner I ordered the half rotisserie chicken, salted lemon, oregano,& parmesan fries. Again I found the chicken VERY salty, it is also a large portion so if you're a light eater I wouldn't recommend this, I barely put a dent in it. Wasn't a huge fan.

My husband had the Alberta beef feature steak, smoked poplar bluff potatoes, salsa verde. He hated the salsa and the steak was tasteless.

Overall we spent a lot of money on a meal neither of us really enjoyed. Maybe we aren't "refined" enough for menus like this but I don't think I would go back.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

First time at Charcut was decent.
Reservation made via OpenTable so was seated right away. We were tucked in to a corner so it was ok, but a table of 2 was sat next to us...literally 6 inches away. It was uncomfortable and they ended up moving because of the unspoken awkwardness. The seating plan isn't great.
We had a 4th day on the job waitress. It was a busy Saturday night and she clearly could use more training, she should have been shadowing, not serving. I ordered an Italian Pinot Nero (Pinot noir) and specified the name...turns out they charged me for the most expensive glass of Pinot noir in the restaurant ($13/glass compared to $23/glass). When I questioned this, they removed one glass of $23 wine. So, needless to say, be careful what you order. It was likely an innocent error but left a bit of a sour taste (not the wine, the error).
Also, the dirty martini was not good. Not good at all. It tasted like the martini was shaken over melted ice water. Very watered down, even for a dirty martini. The bartender could use some training.
The food: delicious. We had the poutine (OMG!), prime rib, and potatoes. All very good. We also shared a cheesecake and it was one of the best cheesecakes I've ever had. It's tiny but it packs a punch!!
Would we eat here again? Probably. If we had a gift card.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We had high hopes for Charcut, having experienced a delicious dinner prepared by their chefs a couple of years ago at the Saskatoon Club. We started with the tomato salad and it was absolutely delicious. The wine suggested by the waiter was also very good. The main course, steak, pasta and roasted chicken were good....but not great. We ordered the steak medium rare, but it was quite rare. This doesn't bother me, but it ended up being a bit tough as well. The chicken and pasta came in good sized portions, and if you like smoked meat, the chicken is a good choice. All in all, the meal was not what I'd hoped and for the price, we were disappointed.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

The food here was good - we had some prime rib, some chicken and an assortment of side/appetizer dishes - but the details of our experience were not as great. The restaurant is very loud, so not a great place for a quiet dinner. The server was generally polite but quite rushed and had a tendency to talk over anyone else, so not really welcoming. The plates for the hot food had not been warmed and while I realize the standard of service in North America is generally not the same as in Europe, it's disappointing when a highly-rated restaurant is not above the average in this area. We were offered the opportunity to store our bags when we entered the restaurant, which was great, but when we left we realized that they'd simply been put in an unattended cupboard next to the door where anyone could have walked off with them. So the whole experience was okay, but frankly I'd expect more.