“Sooo much flavour!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

My hubby and I just shared a half rack of ribs, a bowl of pork & brisket chilli, bacon wrapped corn on the cob, garlic (like lots of garlic) fries & grits! Intense, deep, down home flavours. So full, so satisfied!

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Bacon wrapped corn and rock and roll. Relaxed vibe, good service and great music. I'd good back again.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Located in Downtown Calgary, don't be put off by the exterior, which is not inviting. However, go inside and be surprised. To us Australians, the decorations were rustic Americana and really interesting. The place was quiet, as it was a wet Monday evening, but the service was good from a young Australian woman. We weren't familiar with the local beers, so she brought a number of tasting glasses to our table, which was very impressive.
To eat, we chose a meat platter for 4 and what a good choice that was - varied and tasty.

Reviewed 4 September 2016

So I've lived in the Calgary area for almost 10 years now and today after biking around the downtown area I stumbled across this hole in the ground establishment that normally I may have not given a second look but something told me to go in a see what it was all about.....so here is what I found....
It seams like a hole in the ground kind of place but don't let the outside fool you. Holy Smokes......I am so mad I didn't discover this place sooner. Apparently they run this place as a night club during the evening which may not be my cup of tea but I'm sure it will be for others.
It has such a cool old western tavern look about the place. They have all sorts of live music in the evening and during the day play all the best old country I grew up with which makes me so happy.
We had the Mac n' Cheese and then the Brisket sandwich with the best garlic fries I've ever tasted.
This place is not to be missed.You will be sorry if you do. Again....don't let the outside scare you away.
Service was top notch....food was out of this world.
I hope to return many many times in the near future.
Thank you for existing...
Best find ever!!!!

Reviewed 31 August 2016

Convinced that I need to try new places my son took me to one of his favorites the Palomino in DT Calgary. Tucked behind two of the most expensive hotels in Calgary the Palomino is very much a traditional bar with dark wood floors, and sturdy tables and chairs. Not glamorous by any stretch but comfortable in that well lived in sort of way. To my surprise it has a great patio area totally enclosed by high walls which block out the traffic noise and car fumes. The menu has a good selection of sandwiches and mains all which come with two sides. Suspecting that the portions would be big which they were, I scoured the menu for something I could enjoy without being over stuffed. To my delight you can have any four sides for $15 and our delightful waitress informed us that lots of people do this instead of ordering a main dish. I opted for soup of the day , which was a smokey sausage and vegetable and delicious,Caesar salad, garlic fries and bacon wrapped corn. My son recommended both the fries and corn and I was not disappointed. The garlic fries are very flavorful and the menu suggests if you are in sales to avoid them because you could scare vampires for a week. If you love garlic delicious but not for the faint of heart. The bacon wrapped corn was terrific. Crispy bacon wrapped tightly around the corn. First impressions suggested that the corn was burnt but once you bit into the bacon the wrapped corn proved to be juicy and sweet. One of the best things I have eaten. My son had the pulled pork sandwich which he claims is the best in town. Snagging a forkful I have to agree it was pretty tasty.