“Comfortable, modern hotel - near shopping.”

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #33 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 April 2017

We stayed 1 night here while in Calgary. In this Southern suburb of Calgary, called Shawnessy, it seemed there were two options for hotels: Wingate and Super 8. We chose this one because they have a pool, mainly. Lots of strip malls and shops around, if that's your thing, plus a movie theatre, and a few restaurants (see my review on Hudson's Canadian Tap House)

We got the corporate rate because I'm a business owner, which was a nice perk, and overall a very pleasant experience. Quite a nice breakfast is included in the price (the usual cereals, fruit, breads, and so on, but also a waffle maker, and eggs and sausage). The pool and hot tub were good, but I was little disappointed that they closed it at 10pm. I've stayed at smaller hotels with pools that are open until 11 or 12. The rooms are fairly large, modern, and comfortable. Funnily, the toilet seat was not the most comfortable. The staff / service was about average. Overall, I was happy with the stay, and if I was in that area again, I'd probably choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Better views on the higher floors
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Hello Mac_tina and thank you for your kind words. Comments such as yours help us to confirm the dedication from our team to delivering a good experience for all of our guests. I hope to be of service to you whenever your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

The rooms are very huge and the pool has a great waterslide for the kids. The pool isn't big but for kids under 10 it's perfect. The staff are very accommodating and everyone had a good time swimming. Close to everything but it is a little tricky to get in to the hotel area. We definitely would stay here again

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Hello 154919Michaelt29 for taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay with us. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our rooms and the kids enjoyed the waterslide. Feedback from our guests is very important and it helps us to stay in tune with our guests. I look forward to being of service to you and your family during your next visit to our City.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Reviewed 4 March 2017

I had a great stay here over three nights. I have stayed in both the double and king room. The king room was imcredibly spacious and lovely! The customer service was nice, the room was clean, and the complimentary breakfast had a great selection (yogurt, fruit, toast, eggs, French toast, coffee/tea, juice, etc.)

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Thank you FloatOn24 for taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay at the Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South. We are pleased to see that so many aspects of your stay were "great". I hope to be your hotel of choice for all of your travel needs in our area.

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Hotel is very nice and modern. Highlites include the swimming pool, large rooms and great breakfast service. Our issue was with the heating/cooling in the hotel. We were on the fourth floor and the hotel hallway and room temperature was probably in the high 20s, this caused the ac unit to run nearly the entire night with the bed being beside it freezing cold and the rest of the room warm. I ended up unplugging the unit about half way through the night and my six year old shortly thereafter vomited from being overheated. When I mentioned this to the front desk there was a casual, "ya the hallways are hot" No apology, no recourse which i found disapointing. This seems like just a matter of adjusting the main thermostat, and a little better empathy training. Nice property though.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Thank you Sean H for taking the time to post your feedback after your recent stay with us. I will definitely pass along your comments to our maintenance team regarding the AC concerns in your room. We will address this right away. I would also like to apologize for the "casual" response that you received from our front desk when you brought your concerns to them. Please know that we will also address this. I am pleased to see that you found the hotel to your liking and we will endeavor to improve on the areas that you have noted. I hope to be of service to you again.