“Decent but pricey and often empty”
Review of Vin Room West

Vin Room West
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Room West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #627 of 3,664 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$12 - US$23
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 85 St SW and 8A Ave SW
Description: Vin Room is Calgary's premier wine bar with over 100 wines by the glass. Our extensive wine list is complemented by our tapas program, made with local and regional ingredients, with a global twist.
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Not sure how this Calgary favourite has so badly missed the mark in their suburban version. Often empty, they have resorted to specials to entice restaurant goers away from other pubs and eateries in the area. I might give it another chance as the specials seem good!

I like the room and food but the small portions have always been an issue for me. Every morsel better knock your socks off and after many months without changing the menu, this location is clearly off the rotation for most in the area - including me. It's certainly not bad - it's good on first impression - as long as you enjoy having the entire place to yourself.

Reviewed 29 July 2016

I met a friend for a glass of wine at the Vin room yesterday afternoon. We decided to sit on the patio and thought we would try the Sommelier’s choice white which was on for Happy Hour. The wine was fine, however it was brought to us in a stemless wine glass. I’m not a big fan of stemless glasses as I find that with whites the wine tends to heat up, plus I just like drinking my wine in a proper glass. After we finished, we decided to try a different wine, and I asked our waiter if we could please have the wine in a proper wine glass. He said no, that they don’t allow stemware on the patio because the wind might blow over the wine and break the glass. First of all, there was no wind, and second, there is a tall glass partition to block the wind and third, I’m not 12 years old. So to enjoy our wine in a proper glass, we had to move inside on a beautiful afternoon. I don’t get it. I went to the Living Room last week with friends and we sat all evening on the patio and we were served our wine in proper wine glasses and guess what, not one glass broke all night.
Very disappointing and all I can say I will never go back to the Vin Room.

1  Thank Syrah77
Reviewed 16 June 2016

In a nutshell---inviting "sit-up" bar area. Nicely planned patio.
Service was attentive. Back bar no longer had crown royal or basil hayden.
Turkey balls were excellent! Slow crowd, but was Monday night.
Prices are a little rich. Nice atmosphere, but overall---this room might have
to re-invent itself.
Easy parking.
To the management--lets give this room a shot of adrenaline!

1  Thank alan a
Reviewed 29 May 2016

High ceilings, lots of space between tables, unobtrusive but contemporary decor makes for a pleasant evening and allows the food a starring role. Two dishes per person are recommended at this small plates restaurant, but the two of us only had three and were full: beet salad, very good, crab cakes excellent and served with a superb, subtly flavoured sauce, flank steak a generous portion, not overdone, with tiny potatoes and mushrooms in a demi-glace, delicious. Desserts were interesting and very tasty. Coffee is good. The server was friendly and attentive. If I were a Michelin spy, there would be a few little details I would deduct marks for: salad needs just a bit more goat cheese, and flank steak dish is a bit salty (but then again if I were french, that would be okay). Also despite having the self-proclaimed largest tasting menu in western Canada, (and the $2 serving is a great way to taste a few wines) the list has no product from Languedoc Roussillon or Puglia. Tiny quibbles, for sure. The prices were very reasonable. This restaurant apparently serves the same menu as the downtown location and I would recommend a visit to either one.

Reviewed 23 April 2016 via mobile

It was an interesting experience. It was something different, so we quite enjoyed ourselves. The food was well done, slightly overpriced, but nicely prepared.
The service at the beginning of our endeavour was spot on. Our waitress seemed to lose interest in our table though about halfway through our time there. We would have stayed a while longer but I guess she assumed we were done after declining dessert and were promptly given our bills.
There was 6 of us there for the evening. We had another join us for about an hour or so. The only criticism we had was when we were given our individual bills, we were told that there was an 18% auto gratuity already added. In doing so, the server would have had a larger gratuity as we always leave a minimum 20%. I am perfectly aware that numerous restaurants have an auto grat on their bills, however, they are 'typically ' only added on a group of 8 or more people. Most establishments advise their guests of the auto grat before the bills are doled out or it is printed on the menus. This was not the case and that was a bit disappointing.
We liked the atmosphere, concept, food (albeit pricey) and wine selection. The only thing we found lacking was the service but all in all we enjoyed ourselves.