“Great food! Great service!”
Review of The Metropolitan

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: 2nd St. SW
Transit: C Train
Description: There is something special about Calgary. It is different than other Canadian cities. You can feel it when patio season starts, when a chinook rolls in, or when you get a high five from a stranger just after the Flames make the playoffs. It’s a small town at heart. At its core, The Metropolitan, has always aimed to embody that spirit. Over the past 16 years we’ve grown with the city, for the city; forever evolving in constant pursuit of being the place where Calgarians gather.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had dinner last Saturday at the Met and it was lovely. The food was fantastic! The sliders - best my husband has ever had. My salmon was delicious. My friend who's vegetarian had the hummous - home made from scratch! Oh, and do try the creme brulee! We found our server to be both prompt and friendly. Also, the manager came by our table to ask about our meal. I've just read some of the recent negative reviews about the slow service and noise and I'm suprprised because this wasn't our experience at all. I don't like noisy restaurants and I found it very easy to socialize. The manager said that he has just recently joined the Met so it's under new management. Perhaps this is the reason for the difference in experiences? We'll definitely be returning and recommending it to our friends.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Came in for lunch and our food and drinks were good but the service was slow. I asked if Strongbow was on tap and the waitress said yes (even though the menu had it in cans) but that isn't that unusual however when she came back she said they only had somerbsy on tap and she had a pint. I am not a fan of Sombersby as it is sweet but the menu said "dry" so I said could I try it and she let me but it was the sweet one. I said that I would just go with the can of Strongbow. She came back a few minutes later to say they were out. I ordered another drink and it took probably 15 minutes to get it while the rest of my party enjoyed their wine. Our food was also super slow as there was a big group so our lunch hour turned into more like lunch hour and a half. When the food came everything was very good. I had the Delmonico salad and it was very filling and had the proper amount of toppings and not cheap like some restaurants. So aside from service the food was very good!

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

Asked for music to be turned down manager said he couldn’t. These big chain restaurants seem to forget who the customer is. When I bring a customer for lunch I would really like to talk with them. So if you read this me manager I would like you to know I will do everything in my power to persuade them to go to Hys or Caesars where they appreciate their customers.

1  Thank mort1948
themetyyc, Manager at The Metropolitan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback as it is greatly valued and appreciated as we are always striving to improve our guests experiences. I'd like to sincerely apologize for the way that your complaint was handled. We will be using this as a coaching opportunity for our management team to ensure this does not happen again.

We are able to turn down the music in segregated areas of the restaurant, and so if you will allow us the opportunity to try us again we'd love to have you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing events@themet.ca so that we can take care of you.

Kind regards,
The Met Management Team

Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

The food at the Met is great but consistent with previous visits the service is terribly slow. It took a long time for our server to take our orders and then our empty appetizer and entree plates were not cleared timely. But the food we had was excellent including the dumpling and coconut prawn appetizers and the jambalaya. Overall a good spot for lunch so long as you don’t have to get out of there quickly.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

We popped in for lunch without a reservation, but was quickly accommodated on the bar side, and ordered the seared tuna salad. It was served with a nice assortment of fresh veggies, a generous piece of sliced tuna, with ginger dressing. Service was attentive and friendly. Only downside was the ambient noise, which made for difficult conversation.