Newagen Seaside Inn(Newagen)(Great Value!)
US$280
US$272
Hotels.com
US$225
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$316/night.

Brown's Wharf Inn(Boothbay Harbor)
US$189
Tugboat Inn(Boothbay Harbor)
US$226
All reviewsmini golfping ponghot tubcedar buildingsouthport islandboothbay harbormadding crowdthe owner managerbook storerobinson's wharfquiet oasisexercise roomoff the beaten pathlobster bakequick lunchten minute drivegeneral store
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Arrived at Ocean Gate on 9/27/10, the first room we were given we were very unhappy with. The lower priced rooms have very old beds and the decor is very outdated. After paying an upgrade charge we switched to a much better room that had been recently remodeled. During the second day of our 4 day stay we checked out the fitness center and while exercising about 20% of the ceiling fell down and startled us, luckily it was on the other side of the room. Two days after checking out we noticed and additional charge on our credit account and called the owner of the resort who accused us of stealing a lamp. After a two month battle with Ocean Gate and the credit card company, we were reimbursed for something we did not do. We enjoyed the overall experience at Ocean Gate until we found out about the false accusations. If you want a nice room don't book the cheaper ones. We learned that not all resort owners are honest. Pay cash or be very watchful of what they charge your credit card.

1  Thank WesternIowatourist
OceanGate, General Manager at Ocean Gate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2011

Upon guest checkout, our housekeeping staff immediately notified us that all of the furniture had been re-arranged by the guest in this room. On inspection, we discovered that one of the bedside lamps was missing, possibly damaged during this furniture move. We do find it necessary and reasonable to recover these costs when they occur in order to keep our rates competitive.

Reviewed 27 October 2010

I would say that the Ocean Gate Resort has a summer camp feel to it, and I mean that in the best way possible. The views from our room were breathtaking, and as a city-dweller, I enjoyed being surrounded by trees as I walked around the area. My one gripe about the resort is its lack of signage. The friendly staff provided us with a map, but unfortunately there were few signs to let us know where we were. The room was clean, and while the decor was nice but minimal, the giant flat screen tv was definitely a plus!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My wife and I were looking for a quiet place to relax. ocean gate is a great place for that purpose. We were please with our room : carpet look great, comfortable matress, room appears clean. We really enjoyed the fridge, a microwave would have been great for those evenings that we didn't feel like going out to eat.

The staff were really nice, smilling. My main disapointment was about the WIFI wich was suppose to be accessible in the cedar building, (ACTUALLY THIS IS THE MAIN REASON WHY WE CHOSE THE CEDAR INSTEAD OF THE WATERFRONT BUILDING). In fact, the only way that I could access internet was via the main office router.Therefore, every time I wanted to use my computer, I had to go to the main building instead of staying in the comfort of my room with my wife. I did report the situation to 3-4 different staff while they were asking me why I was walking around with my laptop. From their reaction / comments, it look like nobody were really " responsible / interrested " by that kind of problem.

We were satisfied with the breakfast buffet, the staff works really hard to bring the food as soon as something runs out. Despite all the choices, I was some kind of disapointed not to find any bacon !!! When I'm in vacation I like to get up later, I would have appreciate breakfast until 10h30 or 11 am instead of 10 am.

FINALLY, NO MAJOR COMPLAINT, IF I GO BACK IN THIS AREA "OCEAN GATE INN" WILL BE ON MY SHORT LIST, I THINK IT IS A GREAT VALUE.

THANKS, AL (ROOM 241)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
OceanGate, Owner at Ocean Gate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Ocean Gate. I'm glad that you enjoyed the cleanliness and comfort of your room as well as our top notch staff. I apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered with the WI-FI and am sorry that we were not able to isolate the problem for you. We have recently invested in our WIFI capability to broadcast signal more widely across our 45 acre site without having to charge an annoying nightly fee like so many hotels still do. I will be sure and pass on your comments to our WI-FI service provider so that we can continue to improve this complimentary service. Thanks for keeping us on your "short list" and for recognizing the great value that we offer here at Ocean gate!

Reviewed 3 October 2010

We pre-paid $126.47 per night (with tax) for a waterfront King in their upgraded rooms. I have to say, we weren't sure what to expect and still one of the oddest places to be reviewing after the fact.

GOOD
- Location is super, it is on a private side of a little island with it's own little quiet inlet. We walked about 20 feet from our room onto a dock, grabbed a canoe (free), and had a leisurely paddle around the islands. It is very secluded, so no worries about traffic noise or too many other tourists.
- Staff were all very friendly and nice.
- Breakfast was good and included for free. Look, I read the reviews here and thought it was going to be Shangri-La breakfast, and that it is NOT. It is similar to a very good breakfast at a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express. They have a very small buffet of food in trays under hot lamps (a pork meat, waffle/pancake, eggs, potato of some kind, oatmeal, bagels, canned fruit, and assorted pastries).
- Bathroom was pretty nice and recently remodeled, room had a refrigerator and microwave, and room was very large.
- Balcony outside was very nice, albeit small.

BAD
- No restaurant on the property, so you will have to go out for dinner. That said, it was an easy and lovely drive back into Boothbay where great food options avail (favorite was Boathouse Bistro, mmmmmm.)
- The room itself was a little underwhelming for being their best, so I have to wonder what the others look like. My wife continuously commented how she felt like she was in a nice camp dorm room. It isn't like there was anything wrong with it, it was just really random. Certainly not luxurious or even clean/ standard/ basic like a Fairfield Inn. High concrete walled rooms with a fresh coat of paint with random nicely maintained furniture. All rooms opened to the outside walkway with a set of blinds you could use to see out or close.

OVERALL - For $125 to get a private waterfront balcony room with free breakfast and canoe/ kayak rental is a steal. Based on that price, I didn't expect a fancy deluxe accommodation, and didn't receive it. However, it was clean, folks were nice, and there were no problems. We would likely stay here again if we return to the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your thoughtful comments about your stay with us. I'm glad that you had a chance to enjoy one of our complimentary canoes on a beautiful fall day. Regarding room choice, you might have noticed that we have several different buildings on property, each having it's own unique character. Perhaps you might want to try the Cedar building during your next stay for a more typical resort room experience ( we've just added flat screen TV's, etc.) Our Waterfront building remains our most popular due to it's close proximity to the shoreline but we find that each guest has their own personal preferences for room decor so we encourage you to try them all! I'm happy that you characterized your overall value as a "steal" and that we will be seeing you again. It's our goal to provide clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value. It appears that your overall experience tells us that we have succeeded.

Reviewed 19 September 2010

What an absolute shame. The smell was so bad we couldn't sleep. The view from our waterfront room was beautiful, but our stay was ruined by the stench. The minute we walked into our room, the smell of mold was overpowering. We asked at the front desk before we went to dinner if there was anything they could do about the smell. When we returned, we were told that they had put a dehumidifier in the room and that was all they could do. The dehumidifier did not help the smell, so we tried to make the best of the situation by going outside to enjoy the beautiful scenery. As we walked toward the dock, we were greeted by a very strong septic failure smell! We will not be back!

This is no "resort." It is more like an old camp that needs a lot of work.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

I'm certainly sorry that you were disappointed with your stay due to your sensitivity to the environment. Although our close proximity to the water does provide it's own set of challenges, we were unable to determine the source of your concern when we responded to the room while you were out to dinner. The newly renovated rooms include all new carpet, padding, draperies, bed linens and bathrooms so the likelihood of a mold problem is rather remote. We felt that the dehumidifier that we placed in your room would be sufficient to resolve your concerns. Since we did not hear from you further we were under the impression that the issue had been resolved to your satisfaction. I'm sorry that we did not followup after your return from dinner to see if there was anything further that we could have done to insure your comfort.