“So much hype”

Black Forest Steak & Schnitzel
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Forest Steak & Schnitzel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: German, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Next to Beach Hotel
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Basically you get a fried pounded-thin pork cutlet with a variety of chosen toppings. Or in my case a delicious salad with grilled chicken as I do not eat pork. My family members said the schnitzel was delicious. The black forest cake was good. The only reason I gave 4 stars I stead of 5 was due to the service. We were rushed in without a word, and our waitress was not the most friendly. However, we go to Harrison Hot Springs a few times a year and this place is always packed...maybe the staff is just tired.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Been craving some good schnitzel and this place hit the spot. Not quite as good as the schnitzel in Austria, but was tasty. Got the early bird schnitzel with potatoes and vegetables before 6 pm which saved me a few bucks.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

During a recent stay in Harrison Hot Springs, the ladies (Mom and daughter) chose this restaurant as/for my Father’s Day treat. We decided to do a late-lunch, instead of dinner, and arrived at the restaurant shortly before 3 pm (during the week, after the busy ‘Sasquatch Days’ weekend in Harrison). We wanted outside patio seating, and were shown to a table adjacent the outside rail, with a nice view, and ‘feel’ of the happenings in front of the restaurant.

Daughter and I ordered tankards of German Krombacher brews on tap - a wheat ale w/orange for her, a pilsner for me — Mom stayed with her favourite - ice water w/lemon. Each was happy with choice of beverage - cool and refreshing - and especially so on this very warm day!

Food ordered: (names and descriptions of dishes from their menu, and my pictures) — Mom - Pork Hock (oven roasted, w/red cabbage, pan fried potatoes, fresh veggies) — daughter - Schnitzel Bratwurst (Vienna schnitzel, breaded & pan fried, topped with a bratwurst sausage & peppercorn sauce, w/pan fried potatoes, fresh veggies, red cabbage) — me - Vienna Schnitzel (breaded & pan fried, w/pan fried potatoes, red cabbage, fresh veggies).

An initial move (based on tasting a preparation): Mom found the pork hock a touch too difficult to chew — offered to make a deal with daughter to trade dishes — daughter agreed.

The presentations: ‘ok’ - food was simply placed on plain, white plates - more colour would have made the dishes look more tempting and appealing. The preparations: good: red cabbage (tasty) and fresh veggies (= cauliflower, broccoli, and carrot), bright, and cooked ‘el dente’ — ok: pan fried potatoes, bratwurst sausage — ok-poor: pork hock, schnitzels (quite dry and ‘overcooked’), and where was the sauerkraut, supposedly with the pork hock?).

Service: rather impersonal & unfriendly, especially awkward & impatient - giving the impression to us, their customers, of caring very little about our wishes. We have experienced much better service there on past dining occasions.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent food and friendly professional service. Most in our party had schnitzels and I had the
Beef tenderloin topped with asparagus, crab and béarnaise sauce. We all opted to pay a dollar extra for spetzle instead of potatoes and it was well worth it. The portions were generous and food was delicious. We highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

The Black Forest Restaurant has great food, excellent service, and very nice German decor. Schnitzels are their forte, very reasonable prices.