“Love their borsch!”

Kozak Ukrainian Eatery
Reserve a table
Mon, 02/08
20:00
Description: All recipes are based on our memories from childhood and tastes. Of course, as our Baba, we don’t use any “pre-mix”, “ready-to-use” fillings, any stabilizers, never MSG, or any other not good stuff, since our kids eat our food . But jokes aside, we are proud what we put in our food, and all the processes how its being made. With best ingredients and old-school, hand-made processes we want to bring home-made food to your tables.
Reviewed 22 August 2020

I love to pick up their borsch in 1 liter containers because I can take it home for a meal or freeze it for a time when I don't have time to cook. I especially love that the borsch comes in vegetarian or non-vegetarian. It is delicious and wholesome!

Date of visit: August 2020
Write a reviewReviews (24)

Reviewed 16 August 2020

Great place to get your fridge filled with their fabulous wholesome food Perogies to sourdough chicken soup beet soup Tato hungry guy lunch All day breakfast and excellent Americano coffee. Friendly staff and always busy! Hours 9-9 daily and more locations coming soon. Thanks from your neighbours.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 1 April 2020

I stumbled upon the very casual counter-style restaurant and bakery by accident but have been back several times. Also, they're on skip the dishes.

The food is excellent and very fresh. I always have the chicken soup which has dumplings instead of noodles. The verenkyas are chewy and delicious. The loaves, buns, and cookies are also fresh and great to take home.

Date of visit: April 2020
1  Thank sfs1966
Reviewed 11 February 2020 via mobile

We ordered the meat and onion pierogi. It was warm and tasty. The fried onions added depth to the taste.

We also ordered the Goulyash soup. Mmmmm mmmm! I loved it. Loaded with veggies and meat. Rich soup. The service was excellent. Ambience was inviting. The baked beads and pastries looked great. The sunflower bread Rye was superb.

Nothing bad. All good. All nice. Beautiful people serving beautiful food.

Date of visit: February 2020
2  Thank hatedishonesty
Reviewed 24 January 2020

I was driving around New Westminster one gloomy autumn day when I glanced up and saw the sign for Kozak Ukrainian Eatery. Immediately, I thought about cabbage rolls and pierogies and how I haven’t had any recently.

On my first visit here in mid-October, I decided to try their Hungry Tato’s Lunch Combo ($14) which comes with your choice of meat/vegetarian borsch, your choice of meat/vegetarian holubsti (cabbage rolls), stuffed nalysnyky (a type of crepe), and 2 varenyky (hand-made pierogies) along a slice of your choice of freshly baked bread.

I was here at about a quarter-to-noon and it wasn’t too busy but that changed as it got closer to noon. They informed me that it would take about 15 minutes to prepare my lunch (but it seemed a bit longer). I had opted for the vegetarian option but don’t make any mistakes… this is a very filling meal. The hearty Ukrainian rye bread that I picked was perfect for dunking in the borsch and felt like it was really sticking to my gut.

I thought the nalysnyky was a bit overcooked given how burnt it looked like. Obviously, the real winner here were the pierogies and I think the next time I visit, I’ll just stick with an order of pierogies… which is pretty much what I did.

In late October, I came back and ordered the Meat and Onion Varenyky ($10). They said it would take about 20 minutes for the pierogies so make sure you have time to wait if you want to try these out. I was actually quite pleased with thess pierogies when they finally came out but the juicy filling is quite reminiscent of Chinese dumplings and the onions gives it a slightly sweet taste.

While I waited for my pierogies, I ordered a slice of Chocolate Babka ($3.50). OMG! This has got to be one of the best chocolate babkas I’ve had. It’s not overly sweet but the exterior has a nice crust while the layers pull apart to reveal the beautiful marbling effect. Think I found my new happy food… it’s even better if you heat it up a little.

I came back a couple of days later for the same order but I found the onions to be much more caramelized than on my prior visit.

If there’s anything that you wind up ordering here, make sure it’s the Chocolate Babka. They’ve also just recently opened up a location in Vancouver (on Victoria Drive) which has a much larger dine-in seating area.

Date of visit: October 2019