“Tasty Tacos”

Ranked #12 of 277 Restaurants in New Westminster
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 September 2017

One of the worst kept secrets in New Westminster is the fact that you can find some seriously tasty tacos at Taqueria Playa Tropical on 6th Street.

After hearing about this place a few years ago, I’ve been back numerous times to enjoy, not just their tacos, but also their tortas and enchiladas.

Recently, I’ve been in the mood for tacos so I came back for a revisit. They start you out with some complimentary tortilla chips and hot sauce while you wait for your food to arrive.

For $2.50 each, I wound up ordering the Pescado (fish fillet) and Camaron (shrimp) which are made very similarly with garlic, celery, onion, cilantro, and melted cheese. They don’t look like much but they were my favourites. The Choriqueso (chorizo, cilantro, onion, guacamole, and melted cheese) was also pretty good but I found that the Pastor (marinated pork, cilantro, onion, and pineapple) was a bit on the dry side.

A few months later, I came back on a Tuesday for a revisit because tacos are only $2 on Taco Tuesdays. This time, I opted for the Carnitas, Carne Asada, Alambre, and Barbacoa.

The Carnitas has slow-cooked pork, tomato, onion, cilantro and guacamole and the Carne Asada similarly has tomato, onion, cilantro and guacamole with the grilled steak.

The Alambre has grilled chicken breast, green peppers, onion and melted cheese whereas the Barbacoa is simply slow-cooked beef with onions and cilantro. Both of these tacos were my favourite from the four that I tried on this day.

So apparently, Menudo isn’t just a Puerto Rican boy band… it’s also a traditional Mexican soup made with honeycomb tripe and served with onion, cilantro, lime, and corn tortillas. I know it doesn’t look like much here. If you don’t mind tripe, this soup ($10) is actually quite good. There’s a nice bold flavour with a hint of heat and the tripe was generally quite tender. My only complaint about this dish is that the honeycomb tripe seemed to be missing the honeycomb part of the honeycomb tripe (which is really the best part).

For some reason, I was in the mood for taquitos (a rolled-up tortilla filled with meat and deep-fried) so I wound up ordering their Flautas ($11) which is basically the same thing. You get 4 rolled up corn tortillas filled with your choice of shredded chicken or beef which is then deep-fried. They top it off with shredded lettuce, cheese, tomato, onion, cilantro, guacamole, and sour cream. The fried tortillas have a nice crunch and pairs well with the toppings.

On another visit, I tried their Tostadas ($10 for 2). These crispy six-inch tortillas are topped with beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, cilantro, guacamole, and sour cream. You pick any of their regular meat options from their taco selection so I opted for the barbacoa (slow cooked beef).

The addition of the bean spread makes this a very filling meal and I wasn’t entirely sure how to eat it… should I use a fork or just try to pick it up with my hand? Given the size of the tortilla and the amount of toppings, I opted for a hybrid technique… I used a fork to break up the tortilla and then picked it up with my fingers.

I’ve had their tortas before but it seems like they’ve changed the bun that they use now. This is their Choriqueso ($7) made with Mexican chorizo, tomato, cilantro, lettuce, onion, and guacamole. The bun they use now is a bit too soft and chewy… they really need to stick with either a crusty bun or the ciabatta-like bun they used to use.

Definitely one of the best places to pick up tasty Mexican food in town. I always forget the differences between tacos and tostadas so I usually go with this quote from One Day, “A tortilla is either corn or wheat. But a corn tortilla folded and filled is a taco, whereas a filled wheat tortilla is a burrito. Deep fry a burrito, it’s a chimichanga. Toast a tortilla, it’s a tostada. Roll it, it’s an enchilada.”

1  Thank pennyandrusty

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Just returned from dinner with my wife. Each of us ordered our meal. My meal arrived in a reasonable time however my wife's never came. Finally we cancelled her order after other tables around us (who arrived after us) were receiving their meal. The restaurant never acknowledged the problem other than agreeing to not not charge us for the meal that never came.

Will never go back and suggest other go some where else.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We'd go back and try something else to give it a fair chance because we enjoy Mexican food but if the restaurant were in Mexico it unfortunately wouldn't survive long. It was rather ordinary. The staff was nice and service good - the atmosphere - so so. We both ate the enchiladas - the chicken and the shrimp. The salsa verde was delicious as was the larger 3 oz. margarita were the smaller 2oz one tasted sweeter more like pop.

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

So, the monster burrito is MASSIVE. Even bigger than expected. My husband couldn't finish it even though it was delicious.

I had the tacos carnitas and they may have been the best tacos I've ever had.

The service is a touch slow, but you can see they are hustling hard the whole time. The food is 100% worth waiting for, and you can enjoy a nice cold beer and some chips and salsa while you chill.

Check this place out. It's fantastic!

Reviewed 1 June 2017

We went here on recommendation from a close family member.

The service started out poorly but ended up non-existent. The food was delivered in spurts and then not at all. That is to state, two of the four entrees were brought to our table. About 5 minutes later, a third was brought out. After another 5 minutes, we asked where the fourth dish was. It was eventually brought to the table. We had also asked for glasses for our beer. They were brought out after asking a few more times.

The food was bland and cold. The price is a bit steep, considering the part of town and the type of food.

The atmosphere is fake Mexican.

I gave this a 2 dot, only because we like the person who recommended it.