“West End Revisited”

West End Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 77 Restaurants in Prince Rupert
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Ah, The West End! Once a family favourite of ours, it fell from grace pretty quickly during our last visit of April 2016. Back then everything less the salt & pepper prawns were of poor quality and/or tasteless. Nothing we had at the time really inspired us to return; however, we nonetheless came back – after a year and a half absence – because our Chinese restaurant of choice, the Stardust, was completely booked up for a private function. And I’ll be honest: it wasn’t easy for us to say “alright, let’s go to the West End!” We did so with pretty heavy hesitation, but our need for something “quick” won over. So, how was our recent visit? Did things improve since our last visit of a year and a half ago?

Before I get to the food experience, a quick comment on the décor and atmosphere: Basically, the space has remained unchanged for the better part of three+ decades. It’s kind of neat, from a historical perspective, to walk into a restaurant and see how it pretty much looked on opening day, but the “retro” look only works well if the space is maintained. Now, I’m not saying West End doesn’t maintain the space (they do), but they could certainly do a better job of it. The booths are a case in point. Many of them are ripped and/or taped up, which isn’t a very flattering look. If they were to correct this then the space would look retro in a very positive sense – not the “we’re too cheap to properly repair certain things” way. Be that as it may the restaurant remains popular with the locals and, yes, I don’t really understand why. Cheap prices, I guess?

As far as the food goes, we ordered the following: an eggroll; deep-fried chicken wings; a combination of chicken chow mein, sweet and sour pork and egg foo young; hamburger steak; and curried prawns. The eggroll, unfortunately, was very reminiscent of our last visit because it was very greasy and tasteless (not a good sign). The chow mein in the combo plate was also very bland – and the noodles were soggy/overdone; however, the sweet and sour & egg foo young were decent enough (translation: passable, but not that great). The hamburger steak came with a small cup of soup (chicken noodle). The soup was, again, tasteless, but the hamburger steak was a big improvement over the last one we ordered in April 2016: this one was not dried out and, on the plus side, carried a nice flavour. My chicken wings were crispy and hot; and the curried prawns were OK. The ratio of prawns to vegetables was way off – you could almost rename this dish to something like “onions with prawns” because the onions far outnumbered anything else on the dish. Also, the cheap curry sauce mix was way too thick so as to make the dish look sloppy and unappealing. Overall, though, the food came quickly and the service was efficient. Most of what we had were improvements over what we were served a year and a half earlier, so I’m more inclined to rate this place as “average” overall instead of “poor.” In short, West End was an OK backup option.

FOOD: 2.5/5
SERVICE: 3/5
VALUE: 2.75/5
RECOMMENDATION: The food here isn’t great; there are far better Westernized Chinese options in town (Stardust), but it’s not offensive, either. West End somehow managed to keep their cult-like following even in a tough economy. Thumbs in the middle, though leaning down.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

The food didn't compare to other Chinese restaurants we have eaten at over the years. The S&S sauce on the chicken was supposed to have pineapple but was mostly ketchup and the chow mein was mostly spaghetti noodles with a bit of grated chicken on top.

1  Thank Carol F
Reviewed 13 June 2017

This place is a throwback to the Chinese restaurants we visited in BC when I was a teenager: a long row of maroon leatherette benches arranged as booths and chow mein, chop suey and egg foo yong on the menu. But there was other stuff too. We had excellent lemon chicken and a prawn stir fry, and when I asked for more vegetables, the kitchen made me a good mushroom, green pepper, baby corn and broccoli stir fry. And the price was reasonably too. And in Prince Rupert, where nearly everything closes early, this place stays open until 10pm.

2  Thank EEM88
Reviewed 20 December 2016

I always enjoy the meals here and have being going here for along time. If I am by my self I usually have a combo or if I am with someone I will order some of there special plates.It is always buys there because the food is good and so are the prices.

2  Thank Rikki D
Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

Stopped in here with my family.
Opened in 1973....and still has the counter service with stools going.
We had your typical greasy breakfast which everyone needs every so often.
I'm not sure what Chinese food is like....but for an old skool bacon and eggs...with coffee, I will be coming back.
The service was excellent on our visit.
Take a risk and venture out without searching for the best place.... it's worth it.
Enjoy your visit.