“authentic menu with wide selection”

Jessica's Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 77 Restaurants in Prince Rupert
Reviewed 14 March 2018

well priced and tasty. the service is not super snappy, but they put their hearts into what they chef up.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

Some very exceptional pho, aswell as to die for Vietnamese subs. Highly recommend. Very friendly family atmosphere. Tremendous.

Reviewed 22 October 2016

I visited Jessica's Restaurant earlier this month for dinner. I'd been curious to see how the food was for a while -- haven't been here since the new owners took over and renamed the restaurant. Plus, I was kind of anxious to do a little bit of compare and contrast (Vietnamese), since I'd just eaten at Lee & Ann Restaurant and Pho 88 not long before coming here. Well, I guess I should've read and heeded the proverbial signs. Each and every time I'd walked by this place it was empty or near empty and my visit was no different. When I entered, the restaurant was empty, less one other table that had a party of two seated at it; and, they weren't there long -- being in the process of wrapping up their meal as I arrived. So, it was pretty much just me in the restaurant within about 10 minutes of my being seated.

As for the restaurant itself, it is really starting to show its age. The chairs feel old and the table set-up seems unsanitary to me -- forks/spoons in a "bowl" of sorts for you to grab yourself. Imagine all the dirty hands touching those things. Basically, the new owners haven't revamped it in the slightest. In fact, you can still see the outline of the "Herby's" signage on the door over a year later. The server, as well, wore dirty looking clothes. . .hmmm. . . .

In any event, I ordered a skewer of prawns to start and the vermicelli with pork and spring roll as my main. The prawns were overcooked and tough -- not very good. My main dish started off OK (though, it certainly wasn't great); however, the pork was unevenly cooked. Some of it was tender, but most was tough and/or dry. The accompanying spring roll was also overdone and oily and the vermicelli mostly tasteless. Where this place loses BIG points and earns a "Terrible" rating from me is the lovely surprise I found stuck in one of the pieces of pork: part of a broken skewer stick (???), which was protruding out of the meat (see photos). Talk about dangerous. I ended up getting an apology, but that's about it.

Paying for my food also turned into a bit of a chore. Apparently the server had to be somewhere and left the cook alone and she didn't know how to operate the cash register. So, I had to wait about 10 extra minutes in the completely empty restaurant. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere.

In sum, I definitely miss Herby's. The food at was always of excellent quality, be it breakfast or dinner. And that's something I just cannot, in good conscious, say about Jessica's Restaurant. Strong recommendation to avoid!

1  Thank PookyCake
Reviewed 20 December 2015

This was the first time we have visited this restaurant since it changed ownership. The pho was not as good as it used to be and it had broccoli and cauliflower in it, which was unexpected. The subs were great and very reasonable. The salad rolls were okay.