“Best coffee”

Ranked #33 of 60 Restaurants in Tofino
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Took a walk down to explore the gardens and try out the coffee. Best cappuccino and americano we’ve had so far in Tofino. The muffin and croissant were tasty but the coffee would be what would bring me back.

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

The Cafe is charming - beautiful location, nice building and wonderfully quaint. Baked items were ok as was the coffee. It’s a place to wander in to as you explore the gardens or just to escape busyness. Nice enough though not going to blow your socks off; though perhaps that is part of the appeal.

Reviewed 15 July 2018

My partner and I “stumbled” upon Darwin’s Café en route to the Tofino Botanical Gardens. The set-up is quite ingenious: You enter the main building and pass through the café as you make your way towards the Gardens. I say that’s ingenious because you can’t help but notice the attractive selection of baked goods and sandwiches on display, all of which are house-made. It certainly worked on us. After we’d finished a relaxing and rejuvenating stroll through the Botanical Gardens, we stopped at Darwin’s for a light bite.

The café carries with it a wonderful relaxed ambiance. The interior is somewhat eclectic and seems to be a cross between a coffee house and somebody’s home. For example, Darwin’s features standard seating (i.e.: akin to a coffee house), but also features comfortable sofas, plush chairs, stacks of books and a couple taxidermy animals (hey, my partner got to see a puffin!). With its yellow walls and soft music, one cannot help but feel a state of repose.

After enjoying the serenity of the gardens, my partner and I got a couple of baked treats to indulge in at Darwin’s outdoor seating. From here, we were able to further view and admire the Botanical Gardens as a little slice of heaven. There’s nothing quite like sitting outdoors, enjoying a muffin, breathing in the fresh air and listening to the clucking of chickens! Speaking of which, how were our baked goods? Well, I got a peach muffin and my partner got a madeleine. Both were fresh and made with local, natural ingredients. I quite enjoyed my muffin. It was large, moist and not cheap with the peach fruit! Our madeleine, on the other hand, was disappointing – dry and nearly flavourless. One out of two isn’t bad!

FOOD: 3/5
SERVICE: 4/5
VALUE: 3.5/5
RECOMMENDATION: Darwin’s Café is cute and quaint. It offers visitors a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere – one perfect to reflect on the Botanical Gardens or other philosophic life questions. The service is friendly, but the overall offerings, I think, are just slightly above average. What we had was better than average, but it wasn’t “very good” either; hence, why I rate this place at 3-stars. If you’re visiting the Tofino Botanical Gardens, it’s worth a stop, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for the café alone.

PS: If you found this review helpful in any way please consider hitting the "helpful" button!

1  Thank PookyCake
Reviewed 12 July 2018

We went there twice for breakfast. Everything appeared to be homemade and was delicious. Very pleasant ambience and lovely views to the gardens - which are well worth visiting

Reviewed 22 June 2018

This cafe is a part of the Botanical Gardens and its super cute and clean ... seating outside or inside ... sandwiches and drinks and pastries all look amazing. You cannot go wrong by sitting and enjoying yourself here.