“A Beautiful Experience”

Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Kingston, Canada
“A Beautiful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I last stayed at the Sylvia prior to May 2011 about 46 years ago with my parents. That time My cousin and myself playing in the elavator caused it to shut down and we had to be helped out of elevator by the poor staff. My parents were so embarrased.However coming back as a almost senior citizen I enjoyed the hotel and staff immencely.It was the highlight of our trip. The location can not be beat. The view from the restaurant looks like you are in Nice. A wonderful stay. Hope to be there in April 2012. Thanks Peter Mautner

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter M
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
I wanted to inform you that we have forgiven you for the elevator problem you caused 46 years ago, no need to stay away for so long. The fact that you said that the Sylvia stay was the "HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR TRIP" was great to read. We are looking forward to your next trip in April; we will welcome you back with open arms. Drop by the desk and ask for me if you have some time. Thank-you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at the Sylvia Hotel for a 4 night get-away with friends. We had a suite with access to an adjoining bedroom and bathroom, which was absolutely perfect for 2 couples. The view of English Bay and location can't be beat. We enjoyed the many restaurants in the area and access to the sea wall and walking the beach. It has the feel of a more residential neighbourhood than being downtown in a big city, yet is close to everything you could want. The restaurant is quaint and affordable with amazing views of the ocean. Loved it and will definitely be back. Staff were very accommodating and friendly. It is not a modern hotel and if you look closely you can see signs of its age. The elevator is small and slow, but the history and mood of the hotel far outweighs these small inconveniences. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway for couples and friends.

Room Tip: Definitely try for a room with a view of English Bay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank thetravelbug49
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
The rooms to stayed in are great for couples and larger families, those types are limited and for extended stays need to be booked well in advance to make sure that they are available, Like other have said on this site the location is perfect (the best in Vancouver in my opinion. The views from the restaurant at night are amazing all year long. Watching the sunsets in the lounge is a favorite pass time of the locals. Thank-you for highly recommending the Sylvia Hotel.
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Sylvia Hotel dates back to at least 1913 and not allot of changes have taken place to destroy the original charm of this hotel. It is situated on the corner of Gilford and Beach and right across the street from English Bay. If you are looking for ultra modern do not go to the Sylvia but if you want the experience of feeling like you have stepped back into the past, a quieter and little more classic time, then head for the Sylvia. We have stayed here a number of times and while we enjoy it every time...we always ask for beach view. our favorite stay was one night of the Symphony of Fire. This is an international competition of fireworks display over English Bay and with a beach front view one can enjoy the show from your room! The lobby and staff are all cheerful and helpful. I love this place! And so does my husband.

Room Tip: BE sure to take advantage of the views of English bay.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Honeymoonjunkie
rdyck, General Manager at Sylvia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank-you for your comments about the Sylvia Hotel, I could not have said it better myself. The word classic is often used to describe us. I enjoyed your comment that "my husband likes the hotel too". I hope that he is not hard to please. Please come back and see us again.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have stayed here 5 or 6 times over the past 5 years. You simply cannot beat the location and charm of this hotel. The staff are exceptionally helpful and genuinely friendly. The Sylvia is my first choice whenever I go to Vancouver, and its location is probably my favorite place in Canada. I feel like I'm at home at the Sylvia.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevator and/or in a corner of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Basil S
Great comments "You simply cannot beat the location and charm of this hotel. The staff is exceptionally helpful and genuinely friendly. The Sylvia is my first choice whenever I go to Vancouver, Almost sounds like I wrote it myself. Being the General Manager of this hotel is such a pleasure and when I get comments about the service and my staff it makes all the extra hours and hard work all worth while. I will pass along your comments to the crew. However my favorite comment is "I feel like I am at home at the Sylvia" WE WORK HARD TO MAKE EVERY GUESTS FEEL THAT WAY. Thank-you
Williams Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Loved the ambiance of this classic old hotel. We had breakfast twice in the lovely restaurant and the second time we were in a hurry. The waitress was excellent and made sure we got our food with time to spare. The location could not be better with lots of tourist attractions and great shopping right there. Beds were very comfortable. Rooms were very clean.

The only complaint that I have is that when I booked our room I was assured that we were getting a room with a view of the bay. When we checked in, we were told that we had been upgraded...nice. But unfortunately we had been upgraded to a non view room that had a kitchen, which we didn't need. When I asked about this, I was told that the hotel was booked solid now and there was nothing they could do. Unfortunate.

Room Tip: If a view room is what you want, make sure you stress this and I'd even phone a day ahead to dou...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank CarenP39
Great to hear that the restaurant crew was able to get your meals to you in a hurry, nothing worse than having to wait when you are in a hurry. I agree that our beds are great; I have always said that "we sell sleep". In regards to booking rooms with a view, we never do guarantee those rooms because of the limited number of rooms with views and so many people change their length of stay, so we do our best and succeed in most cases. However, calling the hotel to double check is always a good idea.