“Overall a very meh experience both food and service ”
Review of Dark Table

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: Trafalgar
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Dont see the value for the money here. Sure, neat experience but the food was very average at best. The service was painfully slow - it took over 10min to even just get water to the table. When we went to the washroom no one came back to get us for 15min. I ordered the steak which was cooked well but the potatoes it came with were incredibly salty. The starter salad and lemon pie dessert were forgettable. Glad I tried it but honestly it's not anything I would yearn to return to.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Definitely worth trying. The concept is really unique. It makes for an interesting evening and an opportunity to experience food in a different way. The food itself is kind of average in my opinion, but the service is great and it is fun for sure. Trv it once and decide for yourself.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

We were In Vancouver for a sales reward trip with a bunch of other people. One of the other couples found a Groupon for this place, and my wife and I were game. It was a great experience! They make you feel right at home the second you get there. They show you a menu outside, take your order, confirm that it meets your specifications, then they bring you inside, where it’s really really really pitch black dark. Your server will lead you to your table, and somehow managed to get to know everyone in your group by the time you get to the table. Everyone has a great sense of humor, and the ability to make you feel very at home. The food is really good. They really give you the opportunity to try and paste specific ingredients, and bring out some surprises along the way. Go with people you’re really comfortable with, and just enjoy the experience. If you were glasses, you can take them off when you’re at your table.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

What made it great? The anticipation of not knowing what to expect and the thrill of trying something different. And our server, Rose, who was gracious, kind and gifted with a sense of humor and impeccable timing. Be prepared to laugh. She has a wonderful way of putting you at ease and makes you feel safe while you’re adjusting to the new environment.

Your other senses will be intensely heightened in an effort to compensate for your loss of sight. We walked from the entry area lead by my hands on Roses shoulders, conga style. I was amazed that I did not run into or brush up against anyone or anything. Maybe the walk area was wide but with no way to gauge, it felt like everything was very close proximity. In the beginning, my eyes were literally peeled... which was futile, it’s complete blackness. I smelled a hint of aromatic oil like patchouli or neroli, along with the scent of fine cooking. It became more comfortable for me not to strain to see any longer but to just lower or close my eyes and go with the flow.
After a quick detour to the bathroom which is dimly lit with red low light,
Rose lead us to the table and put my hand on my chair so I could be seated. She brought drinks which I was a little fearful to let go of should I accidentally knock it over.
The service flowed and was attentive. Rose continually checked in.
First course was a fresh salad, slaw style with a citrus dressing and cranberry.
I had the grilled salmon which came on a bed of mixed veg. consisting of tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers.
The skin remained on the salmon and Rose inquired if I thought that was offensive which I didn’t, but I had to maneuver with my fingers and fork to separate the skin from the filet because I don’t want to eat the skin. It easily peeled away. I managed to avoid eating the lemon wedge as well... just a quick pop in and out of the mouth. Thankfully we are all in the dark or I would be embarrassed to see myself trying to eat... bites on my fork varied from next to nothing to mouth-cramming large. It’s hard to tell how much you’ve got until it hits your mouth.
We got to participate quite willfully in a couple birthday acknowledgments as the waiter brought everyone’s attention to the person of honour. There were a couple of Grammy award winners who took great pride in anonymously belting out the birthday song from opposing ends of the room. After all no one can see you, might as well give it your best, you’ve got nothing to loose!
It was amusing to me when my husband would stop after carrying on a conversation for a while and ask, “Are you still there?” thinking I may have mysteriously navigated my way out of that busy meandering path dining room. Well it’s got to be a perfect setting for a blind date, you could easily depart unnoticed if needed.
I wouldn’t say I felt like Helen Keller or Ray Charles when I left the room, but I had a new appreciation for the sightless world I would not have known otherwise. Thank you to Rose, everyone in the kitchen and to the owners who created and continue to run this unusual, enlightening dining experience.

1  Thank 983melissah
Reviewed 17 May 2018

The experience was something I had never experienced before and if your claustrophobic it may not be a good setting for you. From ordering your food before entering the darkness to actually being lead into the restaurant by holding on to the servers shoulders and forming a train effect. We were lead to our table and seated, To our surprise there was not one once of light. Total Darkness.. Freaked me totally out.
The server then brings the drinks and tells you were he is placing them and then its up to you to pay attention to what he says.
The food was good I honestly don't know what the presentation looked like, but there was also a surprise dish on the menu and if you order that you do not know what you get till its time to pay, unless you have a great pallet that can determine.
All in all an experience worth trying.