“Live music allowed again”
Review of Water St. Cafe

Water St. Cafe
Ranked #78 of 3,550 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Committed to Quality... Our culinary team works with local suppliers to bring in the freshest of products to showcase the best that BC has to offer. Local beers, spirits and the best BC wine list in Vancouver. What every small restaurant ought to be: a commitment to quality, service and value that keeps our guests coming back time and time again. Creating true guest connection and the best hospitality experience in Vancouver. We are a Vancouver landmark since 1988 Across from the steam clock in the heart of historic Gastown, our stone-clad heritage building, the Edward Hotel, has stood since 1906 amongst the cobble stone streets in the oldest neighborhood in Vancouver. Our restaurant has been featured in movies, television shows, and numerous dining guides. Join us for Brunch, Lunch and Dinner. We look forward to hosting you! Live music and private dining available on The 2nd Floor @ the Water St. Cafe. Call for more details.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We were desperate to hear live jazz and dine indoors. We came out their first night back to open up after loosened health order restrictions. It was great to see all the regulars and soak in the good music vibes. Service was excellent and the food was good. This evening we had the calamari caesar salad, mezza platter with prosciutto add on and short ribs.

Date of visit: May 2021
2  Thank Where_to_travel_next
Kaitlyn P, Marketing at Water St. Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the kind review! We're excited to safely bring live music back to our dining room.

Write a reviewReviews (948)

Reviewed 4 April 2021

I was here on four separate occasions in March. Overall I highly recommend this restaurant.

Weekday lunch (Dine Out Vancouver): Clint was our server and he was amazing. So funny and personable, great humor, engaging, very attractive, helpful and overall a super nice guy. I had the burrata and beets appie, pasta with clams (spaghetti vongole) and tiramisu. Everything was good; I really enjoyed the beets, and the pasta was garlicky with lots of clams. I also tried my friend's crab cake benny, which I thought was delicious. I don't usually like tiramisu but I really like it here. Drinks were good too. Overall, great food and great service.

Weekday lunch (lobster madness): Clint was our server and he was again amazing. He remembered me and presented us with a complimentary appie - hummus on taro chips - it was tasty and light. We had the burrata caprese, lobster benny on focaccia and tiramisu. All delicious, lots of lobster on the benny. Again, great experience overall.

Weekend dinner (lobster madness): I had the lobster salad (half lobster) and the surf and turf (half lobster). I didn't realize the lobster would come in the shell - so I struggled eating the salad, and i asked for the lobster in my surf & turf to be deshelled. Mistake. I could see that the deshelled lobster I received was not even close to the actual amount of lobster I would have gotten if I had not said anything. The salad was okay, sort of a boring salad and the lobster of course took time to deshell and eat. The steak in the surf and turf was delicious, and the lobster was good too - I could really taste the butter. Service was average, but our server didn't seem too attentive to our empty drinks.

Weekend dinner (lobster madness): I had the lobster bisque, lobster cioppino as the main, & tiramisu. The bisque was okay, not super flavorful, and had no pieces of lobster in it like I was hoping there would be. The cioppino was totally worth it, as it had mussels, clams, tender salmon, and a half lobster. I spent the time deshelling it and it was totally worth it. Sauce/broth was delicious too. The tiramisu was as usual delicious. Server was friendly and always on time.

The food is great here and Clint the server is phenomenal!

Date of visit: March 2021
1  Thank Sam C
Kaitlyn P, Marketing at Water St. Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2021

Hello! Thank you for the detailed and kind review! We’re proud to have Clint as a server, along with our whole great team. We look forward to hosting you again and thank you for your wonderful support!

Reviewed 22 February 2021

Stopped by for a quick cocktail before 10PM curfew, had an early grey old fashioned that was amazing. Wishing we had time/appetite for dinner, but will definitely make sure to have dinner there next time, everything smelt so good and other tables' food looked unreal. Definitely going back again next time i'm in the Van.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 9 February 2021 via mobile

One of our go to spots each week to eat/drink and listen to fantastic background live music, particularly Sundays and Wednesdays if you are a jazz lover. David Sikula does a great job to bring in talented artists. Very good service with a nice drink selection and food menu. Plenty of plexiglas between guests and performers. For jazz nights, they implemented a noise policy to keep your talking to low whisper, if at all to respect the performers and us regulars who come here to listen to the music. Check out who is playing by searching for 2nd floor gastown on Facebook and then make your dining reservation on the restaurant website.

Date of visit: February 2021
1  Thank Where_to_travel_next
Reviewed 4 January 2021

The amazing staff complete the great dining experience we had Christmas day. Not being able to spend time with family was replaced with delicious food, friendly and accommodating staff and perfect ambiance.

Date of visit: December 2020