Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$290
Fairmont.com
US$215
  • Pool
Oak Bay Beach Hotel(Victoria)
US$281
US$275
Royal Scot Hotel & Suites(Victoria)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$199
US$152
All reviewsogden pointdallas roadolympic mountainsjames bayvictoria's secretretro stylefisherman's wharfbeacon hill parkthird floorpots and pansview of the waterbed was very comfortableinner harbora great place to staylocation is greatclean roomsno air conditioning
Reviewed 20 July 2017

This is a motel where it was very difficult to assign a star rating...on one hand I wanted to give a 3 star and on one hand a 4 star. Four star because it's a gem of a place that looks old and battered on the outside but is extremely clean (truthfully one of the cleanest motels I've ever been in), fabulously modern retro, with a spectacular view of the ocean. Location is great for walking the breakwater and the entire Dallas Road waterfront (near cruise ships). A bit of a walk into town / inner harbour area but we did it easily . I liked this motel and I would stay there again. Three star because the small fridge in the room was so noisy that I had to unplug it. There was no soundproofing so I clearly heard every footstep and conversation of the couple in room above me. My room had no air conditioning. The latter wouldn't be an issue for me if there were screens on the lovely, large balcony door and window but there weren't and so every flying insect and fly came into the room so I had to close everything. Sad because I love fresh ocean air and needed the coolness at night. If you want to be really close to the buzz of the tourist zone, this isn't the place. Also, there is no on-site restaurant of any kind but the James Bay Inn which is a bit of a walk but a very easy drive is well worth a visit for breakfast. Maybe a 3.5 star!

Room Tip: Top floor corner
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank TaiyasGran
Reviewed 12 June 2017

We were in town for a wedding and decided to stay at the Surf Motel since it was close to the reception site. I've always been fascinated by the place and I was not disappointed. Most of the features are original, but the motel has been kept in immaculate condition. The main thing it has going for it is the stunning views and the location. You are in walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, Beacon Hill Park, Ogden Point and the Inner Harbour.

Every room has a balcony and faces the ocean. Sometimes, the wind can be a little brisk, but the view is stellar. I sat out on the balcony every day, taking it in. Note that the motel is on a very popular scenic drive right beside the cruise ship docks, so it can be a little noisy what with the tourists, buses, horse carriages and vehicles passing by all day and into the night if the weather is good. Also, try to get a room on the second or third floor - the first floor rooms have parking spots right in front of their balconies, so the scenic views may be obstructed by other guests' vehicles.

We were on the third floor. Our room was clean and the kitchenette was pretty well-stocked with dishes, cutlery, pots and pans. There was also a stove, oven, fridge and small coffee maker. No microwave, which was no big deal for us, but could be an inconvenience for some. The motel also provided shampoo, lotion and make-up remover wipes, but no hand soap, which was a little odd. I'd recommend bringing your own toiletries.

The staff was friendly and we really enjoyed our stay. It was nice to be able to walk around and enjoy some of my favourite places in Victoria without having to worry about driving. I'd recommend staying here if you can!

Room Tip: Upper floors are the way to go to make sure you get an unobstructed view!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cordie_Cat40
Reviewed 2 June 2017

The perfect motel - as you walk into your room the floor to ceiling window is filled with the sea and the sky, the style of the room is delightfully retro and everything is there, everything is scrupulously clean, I could have happily stayed in our room for the whole weekend. The Surf Motel is a bit of magic.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have windows on two sides, 2nd and 3rd floors have a better view of the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian C
Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

I first remember coming to The Surf in the mid-1960's, as a teenager. It surprised me, even then, to discover it, as it was on the residential, non-promoted side of Victoria. Surprised that it was still there, I returned with family and friends 40 years later (in 2006), to discover that it remained, truly "Victoria's Secret!"
And, remain, it continues, in 2017. It is well-away from the hubbub of Victoria's great, but touristy locations downtown. Yet, it is still within reasonable walking distance of most of those Victoria attractions. Upon returning to The Surf for a stay with family and friends, last week, I have enjoyably found that "time has stood still" at The Surf. With most motels that are still around after this period of time (having been built in the early-60's), such generally don't stand up to the passing of time. The Surf, on-the-other-hand, is the antithesis of this. It has been very-well cared for. The 60's period furnishings in the bathroom, kitchen as well as the balcony, due to their being so well-maintained and taken care of, are both nostalgic and charming. The beds are modern, generously-sized and very comfortable. The personable service at the Front Desk and the outstanding cleanliness of this inn and its rooms, are as good-as-it-gets! Yet, it is the location itself and the view across the waters of the Strait of Juan de Fuca looking into the Olympic Mountains, that overwhelms. One look across, together with filling one's lungs with the invigorating and bracing sea air coming in from the Pacific will tell you that this hideaway is a part of Victoria that you will want to make your own. Other than becoming a resident of this area, only The Surf can provide you with the temporary and most comfortable enjoyment of this wonderful location.
Long live The Surf!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bestwasbest
Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

The Surf Motel is a gem. On Dallas Road in Victoria, this small motel faces the sea and Ogden Harbor. The Inner Harbor is a short walk away. Clean and comfortable. This is where we will stay when we once again visit beautiful Victoria.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends