“beautiful backcountry weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whistler
Callaghan Country's Journeyman Lodge
Reviewed 26 January 2017

My 24 yr old daughter and I spent 1 night at the lodge on January 6. This was a bit of an extravagant adventure at a cost of $660 not including the tip we left for the staff. The ski journey up and down was beautiful on very well groomed trails with hardly another soul in sight. The use of the complimentary snowshoes was also wonderful and we enjoyed exploring the trails around the lodge. The lodge itself was nice and we loved spending time in the communal living area looking out onto the view. The sauna was a nice rustic touch and my daughter bravely went in the creek. This place has SO much potential but we were disappointed by a few things. My main complaint was the quality of our dinner. We were expecting an average breakfast and lunch and were fine with that. However, we found out from another guest that during our visit they had a temporary chef. The dinner was not a 4 course meal as advertised and was not very tasty or well prepared. This was not acknowledged by the lodge owner or staff at the time. Once the owner heard of my disappointment upon our return down the mountain I was later given a $30 credit towards another visit. This will hardly encourage me to return. However, my interactions with Darcy the adventure coordinator who asked for my feedback was a very positive experience. Only 2 other points I would suggest need improvement. We felt very rushed to leave the dining room table at 9:15, a considerable time before lights out. Lastly the ambience of the dining area could be improved. In conclusion I would recommend the Journeyman Lodge to other travellers and would like to one day go back myself but will carefully look at the reviews before booking and I would hope that the price would be a bit more reasonable. (I am limited as to what room I would book because I would be very uncomfortable not having a window in my sleeping compartment)

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane F

Reviewed 17 January 2017

We stayed at the Journeyman Lodge for two nights in early January. It was in the middle of a cold spell, temps were -20 so we didn't stay outside for very long.

We were there for backcountry skiing. We arrived in the morning and got a sled ride up. This allowed us to have more time and energy for a proper tour on our first day. We were able to ski up towards Journeyman peak. Unfortunately the cold wind and wind slab conditions in the alpine kept us in the trees where the skiing was better.

We arrived back at the lodge in the afternoon where we socialized with the other guests in the main common area. I did also spend some quiet time in the upper common area before appetizers were served at 6:00. The appies were very filling!

Dinner was served at 7:00 in the dining area where we all sat at a long table. This also provided a nice opportunity to socialize.

After dinner we chilled again upstairs before going to bed.

We were up at 7;30 for breakfast. Since I heard the breakfasts weren't that hardy we brought our own breakfast wraps which our cook heated up for us quite nicely. We did have some fruit and coffee and filled up our thermoses for another COLD tour that day.

The second day we toured up to Hidden Peak but didn't get above the trees due to the -20 north wind and poor snow conditions. We did have a great run back to the valley and headed back to the lodge.

This is a great backcountry lodge close to Whistler and Vancouver where you can stay for one, two or more nights depending on your time constraints.

Touring potential is vast.

The lodge can be cold since its heated by a fireplace, but there are ample blankets around to keep you warm. If you tend to be cold bring warm lodge clothes.

The breakfasts aren't that hearty if you're going out for a big day so maybe bring more food for them to heat up if you need a bigger breakfast. The lunches, appies and dinner I found to be quite good and ample.

Opt for the sled ride up and down to maximize your skiing !

Room Tip: Main floor rooms have their own bathrooms, upstairs rooms have a shared bathroom/shower
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2017

This lodge is deceptively close to Whistler as the crow flies but is off the grid. Power, water, food - everything must be brought in. Given those constraints its warm, comfortable, well-constructed and well-appointed. Particularly nice to come back too when it was -25 deg C outside!

Rogers Phones get cell service there fyi. Telus phones get cell service just 600m from the Lodge towards the Alexander Falls parking lot.

Terrain is magnificent for the backcountry skier. Lots of N facing tree shots for example off Journeyman Ridge to the lodge. Tons of different aspects from treeline to alpine available

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Friendly staff are very welcoming. Our room (Solitude Suite) was beautiful and cosy! The food was amazing! We had such a great time talking with the other guests in the evening about where they were from (Sweden, Australia, Switzerland) and where they have been. The evening trip to the sauna was a fantastic adventure! This lodge is located perfectly for back country skiing as well. Unforgettable!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Great staff and gorgeous lodge tucked into a winter wonderland. We skidoo-ed in than cross country skied on the first day. Lots of terrain to explore. On the second and third day we ski toured. tough hiking through 2 metres of fresh powder!

Room Tip: If you stay in the family room turn off the heat! it gets waay to hot, especially up top so on the f...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family