“Five Star service and food, always.”

Velvet Glove Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Velvet Glove Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 1,714 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Cross street: Portage Avenue and Main Street
Transit: Located at the heart of the city, Portage and Main, most thoroughfare routes come within one city block of The Velvet Glove. Also, for your convenience, there is a Winnipeg Transit bus stop directly in-front of the hotel.
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

This was probably my 5th dinner date out to VG and it was as good as ever if not better. CAB short rib on braised red cabbage, fried polenta and salmon on lemon & herb Israeli couscous were phenomenal. Salads were delicious, and he deserts where amazing. You never leave anything short of stuffed. Our waitress was fabulous, we were taken very good care of. This is one of Winnipeg’s hidden gems and you without a doubt have to check it out. The food, atmosphere, ambiance... 5 Star.

Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your glowing review.

We are indeed very fortunate to have such an amazing team of passionate ambassadors on our team who delight in providing our guests with the highest level of service and most delectable culinary creations, and we are pleased that you were able to experience both on this last visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many date nights to come!

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Had a great dinner tonight. Staff was excellent, food was phenomenal. Atmosphere is very relaxing and quiet. My tenderloin was cooked to perfection

Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience. It is always a delight to hear from a satiated guest! We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back for many meals to come.

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

For some reason I was not expecting fine dining, but was pleasantly surprised with a mushroom soup that was packed full of a variety of mushrooms in a tasty chowder. I felt bad about not finishing it, but there was a butter chicken to follow, which was also very good.

1  Thank Don R
Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is always a pleasure when we are able to exceed our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back for many meals to come.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Amazing! Can't say enough about the new Chef!!! He is innovate and personable. Blue cheese powder? Come on, really?!? Definitely a memorable dinning experience. The entire table of 8 strangers could not stop raving about it.

We have dinned here on several occasions both à la carte and set menu and food has always been just fair. Perhaps maybe just not worth the money in my opinion. (The service has always been top notch) But this event blew us out of the water!!! If you have been previously, give this chef a chance....you won't regret it!

If you go be sure to sample the chicken liver pâte (only available in the lounge) if you still have room.

I have a feeling that we will be returning more often.....bon appetite!

Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Thank you not only for attending our recent Craft Beer Dinner, but for taking the time to leave your glowing review! We are indeed very fortunate to have such an exceptional, talented, innovative, and personable ambassador leading our culinary team in Chef Tim Palmer, and I am delighted you have had your taste buds tantalized by his offerings. I will be sure to share your comments with out entire team, as I know this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

This was an odd experience. My family of four went here for Mother's Day brunch. It started out wonderfully; we were greeted, shown to our table, told how to get to the buffet, and were offered tea or coffee. This is where the service halted. Overall the food was really good. A nice array of cheeses, breads and spreads, a wonderful goat cheese tart, an eggs benedict station, neat cocktails, and a great dessert crepe station. The traditional desserts lacked slightly, but the crepe station made up for this. There was also live music, which was really lovely. Throughout the brunch I had to repeatedly get the attention of other staff working in order to get more coffee, tea, and cutlery. They all seemed slightly bothered by this, but our server was nowhere to be found. I even commented to one of the staff members that we felt abandoned. I also noticed that other tables were brought cocktails when arriving as well as carafes of coffee (makes sense). I'm not sure if our server was just lazy or misinformed. I felt that we had bad luck of the draw for being sat in this server's section. Our server finally showed up when we were just starting dessert to drop off the bill, which included a card with his name on it directing me to leave a comment on Tripadvisor. I was shocked! Did he really think that he gave good service or are they told to hand the cards out to all tables? I am tempted to leave his name here, but can't bring myself to do it. Anyways, we'll definitely be going elsewhere for brunch next time.

Drew F, General Manager at Velvet Glove Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your Mother's Day Brunch experience. I would like to sincerely apologize for the negative service experience you encountered. Please rest assured that these are not the service standards to which we attest. We pride ourselves with providing guests with an experience that makes them feel welcome and valued, and I am sorry that we missed the mark in this regard. I was however, pleased to hear that you enjoyed our culinary offerings. We would love to discuss your experience, should the time permit, and would welcome you to reach out to us directly at winnipeg@fairmont.com.

Your patronage is greatly appreciated, and despite your less than satisfactory experience on this occasion, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Fairmont Winnipeg in the future to show you the service for which we are known.