“Hits the Mark!”
Review of Seto Kitchen + Bar

Seto Kitchen + Bar
Ranked #23 of 384 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Two of us, couples night out on a cool Saturday evening, wanted something cozy where we could relax and enjoy ourselves.

We've wanted to visit Seto before but hesitated as we weren't sure if it leaned more to a bar or restaurant.

The answer is both, the front room is the more lively area where the bar is situated and tables to dine, have a few drinks or enjoy the late night menu.

In the rear where we sat is the more quiet and intimate dining area. Service was smooth and professional, and our server took the time to ensure we were fully aware of the menu and was knowledgeable on wine options.

We decided on a dinner of appetizers and started with the nights special of Chanterelles on Toast and Tuna Tartare with fried wontons. Both were excellent and very fresh, wonderful presentation.

Mains of fresh, in house, hand rolled Gnocchi and Pork Belly with grits and fresh baby carrots, beans and pickled red onion. Companion loved her Gnocchi and I was blown away not only by the Pork Belly itself but by how perfectly cooked the vegetables on the side were.

Wines are at fair price points, nice selection with most bottles available in the $40 to $60 range. Server recommended an Italian Tommasi Arelle Appassimento ($48) which was grand.

We finished up dinner by sharing a lemon cake with blueberry and coconut and a pot of herbal tea. Dessert was a perfect ending to the meal, not too much or heavy but lots of flavour.

Additionally, Seto has a late night menu and a Sunday brunch offering which unlike most starts at 3.00 pm for all of us who'd prefer more of a late afternoon brunch experience. Nice idea.

In the end Seto exceeded our expectations and delivered big time.

You should visit, we'll definitely return!

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Small postage stamp kitchen that turns out incredible food with staff that have a delicious sense of humour. I love the fact that their weekend brunch runs from 3 to 7 which displayed on the sign outside resulted in me laughing my guts out. The chef did not see my humour although he did see my laughter and told me that the typical Newfoundlander does not get out of bed until 2 pm on Sundays so why have a brunch at the "rest of the world" time ie 10 - 2. I love this place.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Very flavorful and imaginative. The jasmine rice grits and popped rice with pork belly was really quite something! Highly recommend this place for thoughtful attention to detail and service.

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Small intimate restaurant, and, as others have said, the best biscuits I have ever had. We both had the duck which was perfectly cooked, complimented with small sides and presented beautifully. A small menu with no specials the night we were there. We tried the chickpea appetizer which, while inventive could have had a few more vegetables in it, but good none the less. We would recommend for sure.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

We just happened upon Seto. Visitors to St John's we were keen to eat cod. After checking out the menu outside we decided to go in. A delightful server seated us and we ordered the skin-on cod served with artichoke purée and fennel slaw. Delicious! And dessert was fabulous! Rhubarb purée with rhubarb and mint. Heavenly. We would highly recommend it. Casual and relaxing. Service, superior. Thank you for making my birthday dinner extra special!