“What a great place! November 2006”
Review of St. John's

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Calgary, Canada
7 helpful votes
“What a great place! November 2006”
Reviewed 9 January 2007

I have to say I wasn't sure what to expect when I decided to visit a good friend in Newfoundland. When arriving at St. John's it was pointed out to me that the airport only has two gates! It was dark when I arrived so I couldn't see much of anything. Driving in Newfoundland felt like I was driving in the middle of nowhere!

During the daylight the next day - wow what a pleasant surprise. The rolling hills, the trees, the ocean, the lakes and ponds, it was all so beautiful.

I conquered Signal Hill and Cape Spear on probably the COLDEST and WINDIEST day ever! But I didn't care it was so amazing. I enjoyed going to see landmark of Mile One - the place where it all starts. I visited the most easterly tip of Canada - a great place to go if you are a history buff.

The trails were so abundant that I just couldn't get enough! For you hikers and hardcore mountain bikers Newfoundland would give B.C a go for it's money.

The downtown core of St. John's is awesome, the houses built on the sides of rock faces, the boats in the harbour. It was such a delight to visit and I would go back there in a second.

Don't pass by Mexicala Rosa's - Great food and drinks!

AND

The Hungry Fisherman - if you love seafood then don't pass this by!!! Get the horn of plenty (the name of the dish) you won't be able to finish it there is so much seafood!!!! I was in heaven.

AND

If you want a quick bite to eat try Mustang Sally's - great pita's and stir fry!

For the rest I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

7 Thank ITCHINGforTRAVEL
North Canton, OH
11 helpful votes
“Transatlantic Cruise Ports of Calls”
Reviewed 1 November 2006

Newfoundland is noted for its natural rugged beauty and the areas I saw reinforce that perception. St John is one of the oldest cities in North America and is a friendly, warm, and colorful city. The people of this quaint city could not be friendlier. During my short stay we took a bus tour that took us to a picturesque fishing village, Cape Spear, and Signal Hill.

Fishing is the heart and soul of this beautiful country and even though the fishing industry has been devastated by the collapse of cod stocks. Cod even though in short supply still is a popular dish. When I ate lunch at a local restaurant cod tongues, cod cheeks, and cod filets were on the menu. Cod tongues are a local delicacy. Moose and caribou stew was also on the menu.

Cape Spear is the most easterly point of North America. It is truly a spectacular point to see the raw splendor of the ocean meeting the rocky cliffs of Cape Spear.

Signal Hill flanks one side of the narrow straits of the harbor entrance. From this vantage point you get a magnificent view of both the ocean and harbor. Also on Signal Hill is Cabot Tower. From a spot near this tower Marconi received the first transatlantic wireless message in 1901.

8 Thank Shak1
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
2 helpful votes
“Loved the 5 Peninsulas surrounding St. John's”
Reviewed 25 July 2006

Awesome scenery from Bonavista and Trinity, to Fortune and Wilderness Bay!

Toronto Canada
“You Must Visit Devito's in St.John's”
Reviewed 2 April 2006

We enjoyed our trip to St.John's (Newfoundland), the people are very friendly and it is a very historic city full of bars and good restaurants but, our best experience was at Devito's Restaurant in downtown, it is a must to all visitors, if you like good food of course.
And while in St.Johns don't forget to visit the popular George Street with more than 40 Bars and night clubs.
Be sure you get screeched in!!! Yes Boy! it is a must
John

Seattle, Washington
33 helpful votes
“Just Got Back Photos”
Reviewed 27 August 2005

The Avalon Region of Newfoundland is incredibly beautiful. These were taken on the Baccalieu and Irish Loop Trails, as well as St. John's area. I can't wait to go back again! These are just a taste of the beautiful photos we took from a wonderous place. The water is clear and everything is untouched. The people are tremendously friendly and respect their environment. I hope you all enjoy a tidbit of this unbelievable place.

6 Thank rainiershadow

Been to St. John's? Share your experiences!