Hotels.com
Arnica Inn(Yellowknife)
Aurora Deluxe(Yellowknife)
Aurora Destination(Yellowknife)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscross country skiingice fishinghot tubice hockeydog sleddingbush planedaytime activitiesaurora borealisnorthern lightswood stovecomposting toiletsclear skieslight showwinter wonderlandown pacesnowmobile tourother guests
Reviewed 20 April 2017

My wife & I have seen the northern lights in Alaska, Churchill, MA,Canada, but Blachford Lake Lodge was the best by far. From our room in the lodge we laid on the bed & watched the light show, just unbelievable. The trip to yellowknife was fun, but how many folks can say that they flew to a remote lodge on a plane with ski's and part of the cargo was a new fridge for the lodge. Great trip, great fun, fantastic food, great photos and good snowmobiling........we're ready to do it again......Dave W

Room Tip: For total isolation, stay in one of their cabins
3  Thank davwitcher
MikeFreeland, Owner at Blachford Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Dave - thank you so much for your kind words! We really enjoyed hosting you and M, and getting to know you both. We're happy to report that the new fridge is settling in perfectly :) We hope to see you again in the future, and again, thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely review!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

We glad to book Blackford Lake Lodge to make our Aurora view vacation perfect. We stayed 2 nights @ Room Sunrise 2 (Lake View) and absolutely like the room. Room isn't spacious but okay size for 2 persons (Besides you don't stay your room long). Lodge has 12+ volunteer workers from the globe, they are very nice & kind to organize activities (ski, hiking, snow mobile, snow board shoes, ice fishing.....) and they joined you for free guide. It's not 5 STAR luxury hotel in big cities, but it's 5 STARs vacation lodge for us.

To view aurora at the night, it's also easier compared other nights in Yellowknife. Blackford is 15-20 minutes fly from Yellowknife and weather seems more clear & stable which helps to see Aurora. We are luckier to see Aurora both nights. They also offer make-up call while Aurora is on the sky, and Blackford Lake is the good spot to see Aurora (which is 5 minutes walk from Lodge).

Blackford Lake Lodge is eco-friendly lodge, it's not easy for remote location but they did it.

Vacation Cost is high but money is worth for all of experience. We're planning to visit this place again......

Room Tip: Sunrise I & Sunrise II are lake view room.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dreamtracker2014
MikeFreeland, Owner at Blachford Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2017

Thank you for this lovely review - we are so glad to hear you're planning on coming back! We really appreciate the honestly behind your review, and glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us :)

Reviewed 7 April 2017

A winter trip to NWT to see the Aurora was something we have been wanting to do and going to Blachford seemed to be the "ultimate" destination. And indeed we did see a good Aurora show there (also a good one in YK before arriving) but our memories and experiences go well beyond that. The cozy and comfortable lodge and the outstanding meals have been well described by others. I would like to comment on how much fun it was to meet the staff, volunteers and other guests. What an engaged and positive group, everyone there was happy and fun to talk with, the other guests all had great travel stories and a list of where they wanted to go next. You can proceed at your own pace, do as much or as little as you wanted, but if you needed any help or personal attention then one of the volunteers was there for you. We spent most of our outside time walking or snowshoeing (thanks Martina and Maude) but there was so much more to do, we had two nights and would have liked a third.

Ski plane trip in was great fun, smooth and comfortable flight. As some have mentioned the heat in the lodge is kept a little on high side so for winter visitors bring some cooler casual clothes for inside time. Also as mentioned in another review the walk up from the lake or cabins could be challenging for someone with mobility issues but the staff is always there to help or provide a snowmobile ride down to the lake or airplane. No request was too much for them. As Canadians we like to think of our North as a special place but so few of us actually go there. Please go up and see what is happening in the Territories.

1  Thank 492traveler
MikeFreeland, Owner at Blachford Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Hello from Blachford! Thank you so much for this note, we love when our guests have the opportunity to enjoy everything that the north has to offer :)
We're absolutely going to make a note about the inside of the lodge's temperature control, as you're right, it has popped up in a few comments.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the flight, and the food - and we all 100% agree that more Canadians should come and visit!
Safe travels, and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 5 April 2017

We stayed at Blachford Lake Lodge for 5 nights and loved everything there, from the location to the activities, the staff, the volunteers, the food...and the auroras. This was a once-in-a-lifetime trip and experience.
The location is amazing, in the middle of nowhere. We did some wonderful excursions: the first days, we explored the trails by snow shoes or cross country skiing, and once we were done with these, they very kindly created a new 12kms cross country skiing trails and allocated a volunteer to us, who helped us discover unmarked trails. What is worth noting is that every evening, we discussed with the staff what our options were for the next day, and were offered to be guided by a volunteer if we wanted to. We did some ice fishing too, and learned how to make an igloo and hand balm.
This brings me to my next point. The lodge is run by approx. 5 staff members, very professional, kind and helpful (thank you so much Maude, Ben and Florence) and approx. 12 volunteers. It was so enriching to share their experience and what brought them at BLL! They were all very helpful and nice, to mention but a few Valentin, Mikkel, Clément.
The food was very good and diverse, all made with fresh products. The cook did really a great job!
We did a snowmobile tour to the Great Slave Lake, which was exceptional.
The shared toilets and showers are very clean and although there are only 2 of each per gender, it ran surprisingly smoothly. We stayed in the cabin and loved it because there was absolutely no noise.
Last but not least, the auroras... We waited until our last day to see them but it was worth the wait: the show was absolutely amazing and this unspoilt location made them magical.
We are so happy we came at BLL instead of staying in Yellowknife!!! The experience would have been very different.
A special thank to all the staff members and volunteers who made this trip so exceptional.

Room Tip: The cabins if you want absolute quietness
3  Thank Glema92
MikeFreeland, Owner at Blachford Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2017

Thank you so much for leaving this lovely review. It's so special that we get to bring wonderful guests like yourself to our part of the world, and you get to connect with our special team. Thank you again for all of your kind words, we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 27 March 2017

Go here. I enjoyed three lovely nights at Blachford. We saw Aurora every night!!
There are so many good things to say that I will bullet point them out -
* I am gluten and dairy free and Carmen in the kitchen did a fantastic job keeping me well fed - much appreciated
* I have mobility issues with bad hips but not once did I feel that I couldn't do anything everybody else could do - there was always someone to walk me to and from my cabin or help out and always a positive attitude. Using ski poles to help walk is huge.
*Most of the staff here are international volunteers and they are amazing kids- and there is practically one staff member for each guest - smart, nice, helpful, interesting, lovely. They will go out of their way to make sure your time at Blachford is special. Big props to Martina who worked so hard to make our tipi party a special time!
* The Aurora photo tutorial is invaluable (thank you Una) - and FYI if you only have an Iphone there are apps you can download that will take Aurora photos (I downloaded the Northern Lights Photo Taker) - and any photo will be better if you have some kind of tripod. But those with more professional cameras will definitely get better pics.
* Even though I am not sporty AT ALL, I felt so safe here that I tried both cross country skiing (many thanks to Ben) and snowshoeing and enjoyed both so much. The encouragement that I would be able to go at my own pace and feel safe was so much appreciated
* I would probably encourage anyone who has trouble walking or is afraid of falling, to stay in the lodge rather than a cabin, mostly because the cabins have no bathroom and the outhouse is a walk, and it can be minus 40 degrees at night. That said, sitting outside my cabin alone watching the Aurora is something I will remember my whole life, so it was well worth it

I would highly recommend Blachford to anyone!! It is definitely the next level NWT/Aurora experience.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah C
MikeFreeland, Owner at Blachford Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Deborah - thank you so much for leaving these wonderful comments. We really enjoyed having you with us! We're loving keeping up with your photos you've posted online (thanks for tagging us!), and all of the staff at the lodge send their hellos. We hope to see you again in the future :)