“Simple and lovely with a Mediterranean twist!”
Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #2 of 158 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: casual bistro featuring Canadian dishes inspired by the Mediterranean, featuring pasta, sammies, seafood, vegetarian.
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We went for our anniversary on the recommendation of a friend and were a little leary given the unassuming outdoor appearance as you arrive. The inside however transforms and invites you into a warm, cozy, romantic atmosphere. The service provided by the very friendly and experienced waiter made our visit even more charming. I ordered a cheesy pasta dish which was rich and delicious on a gourmet level. My husband's meal was also thoroughly enjoyed and equally as classy as the entire experience. The prices were more than reasonable and actually very affordable as you might find in an everyday restaurant. Would definitely recommend The Olive Tree for any sort of special event.

1  Thank betsy9811

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

The Olive Tree was recommended by the host at our B&B and also caught our eye as top-rated on TripAdvisor. When I called asking about a reservation, I was informed that they didn't take reservations and that they were also only open til 7pm (on a Saturday night?!). Not knowing quite what to do, my wife and I took a chance, jumped in the car and headed over, thinking that if we couldn't get in, we'd still have time to opt for one of the usual spots by the harbour. We arrived at about 5:45 and not a moment too soon. The line-up was literally out the door and they put up the closed sign shortly after 6...we lost track of the number of disappointed parties who tried to pretend not to have seen the sign. The staff have a wicked sense of humour and we also learned a lot about the area by striking up a conversation with one of the many locals in line (always a good sign!). Once inside we were seated at a table they called "the cozy corner" and for good reason...very intimate with a good view of the proceedings. The Olive Tree menu is incredibly diverse, with pizza, burgers, seafood, pasta and Greek(!)...also an all day breakfast(!!). I started with a maple spinach salad that was nothing short of spectacular and my wife opted for the Adams Goat Salad. We both selected the evening's special, a basil pesto chicken fettuccini with mozzarella bread and dessert (homemade lemon meringue pie!) included for the crazy price of $13. We also ordered a half litre of delish Sangiovese to wash it all down. The good-sized pasta was amazing...huge chunks of perfectly cooked and seasoned chicken. Total bill was an astounding $69 (plus tip)...without question the best bang-for-the-buck meal I think we've ever had. It's easy to see why this place is so popular and why it will likely hold the #1 spot on TripAdvisor for the foreseeable future! Seriously thinking about a return tomorrow night...

1  Thank Jamie S
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We were disappointed on our arrival in Sydney two weeks ago when our schedule couldn't accommodate this restaurant. Upon our return yesterday, the old adage good things happen to those who wait was proven true!!!!! What a great find and a rarity in today's world to find the combination of great food with great service at a reasonable price! I had the burger which great and the desserts were to die for! Well worth the wait! Very quaint!

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I loved the quality of the food and the variety of the food offerings. I had a delightful chicken spinach salad and Mediterranean cheese dip. Both were excellent. My friend enjoyed hers as well.

1  Thank PW28704
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Lovely meal with my husband. Great variety on the menu specializing in Italian fare. The specials are always delicious and very reasonably priced. Staff are friendly and very helpful when ordering.