“A Hidden Gem”

Alibaba
Ranked #194 of 459 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 22 May 2016

WIth its cafe style look, it is easy to ignore this small restaurant. For those looking for flavourful middle eastern dishes, I highly recommend Ali Baba. The kabobs and shawarmas are perfectly prepared. They even have their own blend of tea. An ideal place for a nice lunch or quick inexpensive dinner.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

I have been Alibaba many times and this was te third event I have had them supply food for me.
I just stand back and watch the reaction of my guests when they first look at this food presentation then listen to the ooohs and ahhhs as they begin to eat. Truly authentic delicious and over the top in serving portions. Alah and his team never fail and love what they do ....and what they do is produce awesome food......doesn't matter what you order you will enjoy it. not sure what to order? they will help you.

thanks Alibaba
james malcolm

1  Thank 993james
Reviewed 4 July 2015 via mobile

I strongly recommend this place to all kabab lovers! First of all the service was excellent. I love lamb kababs but not a big fan of chicken kababs. Their saffron chickens, however, were impeccable! they tasted like heaven! I really enjoyed the food. What was remarkably different from most other Persian restaurants in Canada, was the very pleasant taste of rice! It was absolutely delicious. I fell in love with this place. Eating at Alibaba's will always be a good pretext to visit the town!

Reviewed 19 October 2014

The basic interior decor of Ali Baba hides a very good addition to the "cafe" and casual dining scene in Kingston. This small restaurant offers a solid "middle eastern" menu. The food is very good, and surprisingly reasonable. This may not be fancy dining, but it is a great choice for a casual meal in downtown Kingston. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

So first time at this restaurant and it was very busy, moderate sized place with only one waitress and the place was packed with people sitting down and some waiting at the door. We were lucky we got the window seat which was one step higher then the rest of the restaurant.
We were served by a beautiful lovely waitress who's name escapes me. This waitress had her hands full but was extremely pleasant to deal with, I felt sorry for her as she was all alone to wait on all the tables on a Saturday night. The owner just stood in the background doing nothing with a scowl on his face. When he saw the waitress was talking too much with us he came by and rudely took her away.
The menu is interesting and inexpensive, it serves middle eastern as well as Persian style food. We decided to go with the Lebanese dish. We ordered the mixed chicken and beef platter shish taouk style, and a side plate of garlic potatoes. The food arrived on a large platter but it was not full. The basmati rice was barely under the meats, and the salad was just terrible just shredded lettuce with barely any dressing.

We asked for tea to arrive with our meal at least five times we asked the lovely waitress for the tea and we only received it after we finished eating and it was a very small glass of their specialty tea which I have to admit was absolutely delicious and quite original! The tea was a special blend of five different teas and with an added cardamom as well as rose water so yummy!! They sell it to anyone who wants to buy it this is probably why they do not bring a pot to your table.

I definitely would come back for the tea and order a pot of it as when you order a pot they charge you for it otherwise a glass is complimentary, I also would like to try their Persian dishes, it seemed when I looked around that most people were eating dishes from the Persian menu so it must be more popular and I deduce more delicious! All in all the food was good but incomplete as very little rice came with it and the salad was not a salad, my son didn't eat the salad he thought it was terrible. In the pictures on the menu the salad has a better look to it.