“Horrible ”
Review of Basmati

Reserve with OpenTable
Basmati is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,993 of 2,884 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

There's nothing good to say about this place. Butter chicken was $14 and tasted like tomato soup with chicken chunks. Not rich and creamy. I had to season it myself as nothing in dish to cut the acid.

Saag Paneer was horrible. Was a can of frozen diced spinach with whipping cream poured on it and a few pieces of cheese.

Ordered pakora and they didn't have any. Decided to send 'one' samosa I didn't want.

Was just horrible. I will never order again.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

This restaurant is so overated. New to Ottawa I thought I would try it.
Small portions, the raita tasted bad, the daal was so watered done no evidence of actual lentils...baby food has more consistency, not sure there were any lentils. Naan, terrible. Rice was overly salty, and the rest of the dishes bland.
I paid $70 and it arrived almost 2hrs after order this order was for lunch and placed before noon. The driver asked me to come downstairs in case he couldnt find parking. said he was 10 mins away, and showed up 20mins after his call. I know indian food well, and I will not order from Basmati again.

Reviewed 11 December 2016

OMG do not order or visit this establishment. I ordered today for lunch directly through their website and had to call an hour later to check in on my order at which point they didn't' know the status, could be another 45 min he said for delivery, like that was no big deal. And I could go ahead and cancel if I wanted to, ummmm perhaps when I ordered I should have been made aware of this delay. Well I go ahead and say I'll call back in ten for an update since I was starving and then he called a few minutes later saying it would be there in about 10 min which was more like 30 but anyway I was just starving at this point.

Finally the food comes and it's DISGUSTING. Didn't' even eat the raita, it looked like spoiled yogurt. I was almost sick just looking at it. Saag Paneer was horrendous, so so so watery and bland with no flavor and the naan wasn't even naan it was like a weird doughey bread. The worst Indian food I've ever had in my life.

Normally I wouldn't complain but given the $30 bill for one person for such poor quality and the delayed delivery I thought I should call. I just spoke to the manager who could care less and said that there would be no refund and instead he would apply something to next order. Well as if I'm going to order again with that quality of food and experience. I asked for at least a refund on the ROTTEN raita and he would not even do that and was arguing with me. What amazing customer service! I'm absolutely appalled and disgusted both with the food and customer service, or rather, lack there of. Be warned, do NOT eat here!

1  Thank naomilegault
Reviewed 29 October 2016

Just ordered dinner from here and although the portion sizes are decent for the price the food is very bland. Naan is OK - nice and fluffy but without good flavored food, kind of pointless.

Reviewed 19 October 2016

We had tried another place down the street but it was pub fare noisy and expensive. We noticed Basmatis and gave it a try. The curried lamb and shrimp were delicious and the portions were almost too much but was so tasty we managed to finish. No doubt great value for your money. Don't be fooled by the appearance of this place. If you like good authentic Indian food, this place has it at a very affordable price. I gave only 4 stars only because we often like a cold beer with this type of food and that was not available.